Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 01-05-2022, 02:23 PM
jeff46 (Jeff)

Power Problem with SW/Saxon HEQ5

This the standard HEQ5 (NOT the Pro model)

Everything used to work fine using the 240AC/12DC adapter.

The problem seemed to emerge concurrent with resurrecting my old Celestron Power Tank. Put in a new battery (which had been sitting on the shelf for several years) and recharged it. Hooked it up to the mount.

The Right Ascension motor (which drives the telescope for tracking) should run as soon as the power is connected - but now doesn't. However, it works while using the 4-key hand controller for fine adjustment.
Running it with the 240AC/12DC adapter gives the same result.

I plugged in an old hand controller, repeated the above and got the same result.

Unearthed my multi-meter and checked the supply voltages from the Power Tank and the 240v adapter. Both supply 12v DC and both connectors have the same polarity.

Did a sniff test through the polar alignment hatch - negative. I'm aware it's not always a 100% accurate indication of the state of affairs.

Anybody have either (a) a similar experience and/or (b) suggestions of a 'next step' to getting the mount up and running again?

Any help appreciated. (Not in a hurry to fork out for the Pro upgrade kit, much less a new mount )
Old 11-05-2022, 01:18 PM
hrcoleman66 (Hugh)

WHat was the Power Output of the Power pack? 2.5Amps is considered OK generally, but for Go to, 5 Amps or above is recommended. If you have used a power supply of only 2 amps, it may be that you have burnt out the motor control.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 11-05-2022, 08:37 PM
jeff46 (Jeff)

[SOLVED - I think] Power Problem with SW/Saxon HEQ5

Thanks Hugh.The short answer is 10.
However, a couple of days ago, I got a chance to go further in my investigation. I unplugged and reconnected each of the connections to the PCB and then added 12V. Voila, action! It seems my problem had been that something had moved just enough to break the circuit. Duh!That evening the sky was clear (first time in what seems like months) and the mount worked perfectly. All I need now is a few more clear nights to reassure myself that I have indeed solved my problem
Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited by jeff46; 15-05-2022 at 09:40 PM. Reason: SOLVED