ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2022, 07:19 AM
gregbradley

NUCs, how are they useful?

I am interested in getting an iOptron mount in the near future. I see some models are ready to receive a NUC.

I traditionally have run my astrophotography from either a laptop or earlier, a desktop computer. What does a small NUC bring to the table except as perhaps a type of USB and Power hub?

How are they used and what gains do you get from using one? Wouldn't you need a screen to be able to see the images, software etc?

Greg.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:48 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Hi Greg, NUCs have the benefit of a small form factor which means that they can be easily mounted on the dovetail mounting with the OTA. This can help with facilitating cable management. NUCs still require the 19v AC/DC power packs but there are 12v powered small form factor devices available as well.

I use the Intel NUC in my obs and have it mounted on the pier which works well. I don’t have a screen connected to the NUC so for access I use Google Remote Desktop from my main computer in my office inside.

If you are interested in USB and power hubs you may want to look at the Pegasus Power boxes. These provide a range of features including USB2/3 hubs, 12v power distribution, dew heater powers and variable voltage ports. Useful features that I use are the ability to turn USB and power ports on and off remotely and the dew heater ports use an environmental sensor for controlling the power to the heaters. The variable voltage port is handy for controlling a flat panel when taking flat frames. You can also connect to and control the device from SGP Pro.

To answer the question of how useful or necessary are NUCs and small form factor PCs, it is really the convenience of mounting the device on the pier or the OTA. If you have a spare lap top hanging around that will run your image acquisition software, this could be a much cheaper option.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:51 AM
AdamJL

Hi Greg. I don't have a "NUC" per se (which is a specific type of mini PC) but I do use a mini-PC, which is a Beelink U55. This is the same form factor as a NUC but uses 12V power instead of the 15-19V for normal NUCs. This means less to worry about if you're in the field to try and boost your portable power supply up to the required voltage.

The benefits?
Yes there are the 5 USB ports, though I also use a Pegasus Astro Powerbox Advance Gen2 which has another 4 USB ports if needed. There's no benefit for power management.
But, like Rodney says, it means I can cable manage a lot easier. I used to use a laptop, but the cables coming down onto the ground or side table or wherever I stored the laptop meant it'd snag a lot.
Also, I don't like leaving laptops out in the field or out at night. Who knows who can come by and steal stuff! So it's all mounted on top of my scope now.

Here are a couple of recent images. I'm still working on cable management, and nearly done.
You'll also see a portable travel router (white) right on top. Sometimes I use that, sometimes I don't. This was taken at my parent's house, so I didn't actually need it because I just piggy back their wi-fi. But when camping, I use that router because it creates a solid hotspot I can remote into.

Speaking of which, I either use a laptop or my iPad to remote into the PC to control it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20220404_072626854_iOS.jpg)
203.9 KB107 views
Click for full-size image (20220404_072616046_iOS.jpg)
202.4 KB94 views
Old 12-04-2022, 10:59 AM
Saturn488

NUC's are fantastic. I have used them as a Desktop, Server and for my telescope rig.

I started with a laptop, sitting outside with everything connected to it physically. Over time I refined and invested more money into getting something more automated and easier to use.

After using a few laptops I then went to a NUC. It was a game changer! It was a 6th Gen i3, and I purchased a lid for it that gave me 2 more USB ports. Worked a treat.
Used it with my telescope for 2 years with no issues. I used to have it attached to the top dovetail plate of the tube but it did add some significant weight. I then moved it to the tripod leg but then I had the issue of all the USB cables running to it and wasn't as "portable".

I have retired the NUC and now using a Mele Quieter2 PC which can easily be mounted on the tube and weighs no more than 300 grams! Powerful enough to run the imaging for the entire night. It has heaps of USB ports and I run it in-conjunction with Pocket Power Box Advanced which acts as a USB hub as well.

Since moving to it, all I have to do now is plonk the telescope on my mount, plug the power supply into the power box and thats it. I RDP into the PC from the comfort of my home and control the lot remotely.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:17 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Hey Greg,

Maybe check out this short video I made of the CEM 70 & NUC.

Cheers

Andy
Old 12-04-2022, 04:43 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

I don't use a NUC but I did get an Eagle4. The cost seems extravagant at first but it gives you an OTA mounted computer with power distribution, dew control, lots of USB2 and USB3, Wi-Fi that can act as wi-fi access point (good for traveling to a dark site) or can act as a client to a local wi-fi router when at home, has ethernet connections and has a sky quality meter. It comes in an anodised aluminium case and is quite happy being left out in dew and frost. It's not so expensive when you compare it to the cost of a NUC and all the accessories you'd need to add to get the equivalent. I've been very happy with it!

Kevin
Old 12-04-2022, 05:53 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

another one, not a NUC. I have a FIT PC on my remote rig, fanless, sealed, 12v (not 19v as many NUCs need) . Been up for 9 years 24/7 without a single issue,(made in Israel). Im building a new rig with a Fillet2(smaller than a NUC) from the same company. Comes with enterprise win 10 (a cut down version of win 10 pro specifically for machine control), made for this kind of application, win update is only required every 5 years or so. Also, they can operate natively headless (no display), NUCs need a display dummy dongle. Ultra stable and robust. If price is an issue then NUCs are good too.

Last edited by Bassnut; 12-04-2022 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:00 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

My understanding of the Eagle computers is that at least some of them are effectively a NUC in a custom enclosure with power management incorporated in the case. If I didn't already have a couple of NUC's running my rigs and wanted to add power management they could be a good alternative to the likes of a NUC and a Pegasus Powerbox or similar.

I have found the pair of NUC boxes I use to be a good setup. They were supposed to run from 12 to 19VDC but I found at least the first one I used less than stable at 12V so I use a 12V-19V boost converter mounted in a plastic enclosure with each NUC so that the entire rig uses a 12V power supply but the NUC gets the 19V it prefers.

I believe the NUC version ioptron mounts have a dedicated power port and ethernet port on the base with through mount cabling so you can take the preferred 19V and ethernet cable up to the NUC without dangling cables. If they had been available when I bought my CEM70G I might have bought the NUC version instead.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:04 PM
gregbradley

What I am getting from the replies is the advantage is better cable management using a NUC.

You still need a laptop to remote desktop for a screen.

Extra USB ports is the other advantage (is that much of an advantage over a simple hub?).

I can see the advantage of an Eagle which powers dew heaters, other devices and has a powered USB hub.

But again you need a screen. But you save on a few transformers and long cables.

Greg.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:11 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
What I am getting from the replies is the advantage is better cable management using a NUC.

You still need a laptop to remote desktop for a screen.

Extra USB ports is the other advantage (is that much of an advantage over a simple hub?).

I can see the advantage of an Eagle which powers dew heaters, other devices and has a powered USB hub.

But again you need a screen. But you save on a few transformers and long cables.

Greg.
You can remote desktop from your phone or a tablet, wirelessly.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:22 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
You can remote desktop from your phone or a tablet, wirelessly.
I see. I guess that depends on how far away your inside device is. In my case that would vary from 50 metres at home (too far for wifi) to 25 metres at my dark site.

Greg.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:18 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I have had several NUCs over the past few years. All still going strong. All have served time running off 12v (battery and transformer).

They typically have 5 USB 3.x ports of various forms, along with gigabit ethernet. I join mine to my wifi mesh and/or ethernet switch depending on its task at the time.

50m is no sweat for gigabit ethernet btw.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:30 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Hi Greg I have been running a nuc for 12 months now and very happy with it below is a link you look at to see what they look like

https://help.kogan.com/hc/en-us/arti...CZ700NA-Manual
Ian
Old 13-04-2022, 06:59 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Perhaps this was already mentioned, however one big benefit of a PC on the mount certainly are shorter USB cable runs and the reduced number of cables running through the mount. Long USB cables certainly can cause camera issues.

I have run 2 FIT PCs and can attest to their solidity and reliability. I also have an Eagle 4 and it is terrific with power and USB management inbuilt. The setup is incredibly neat. The downside in my opinion is the cost of power connectors/cables. But, once up and programmed, solid as a rock.

Peter
Old 13-04-2022, 02:01 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

I have the MeLE, almost ready to go, just waiting for a cable.
At the moment I have a laptop in a plastic box on a table next to the mount with 2 cables going to the mount: power and data.

With the MeLE which is mounted on the dove tail, there will be no table outside. And only 1 cable going to the mount: power.

As I already log in remotely from the warmth of inside the house, that will be no difference. Only less cables, smaller foot print.
Old 13-04-2022, 05:02 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

On Peters mention, I looked at the eagle 4. Holy mackerel ! , the top model PRIMA LUCE LAB EAGLE 4 PRO is insane! , at an insane price natch AU$3199 (in stock at Testar) https://www.testar.com.au/collection...ab-eagle-4-pro, but it does friggen everything. You spend a bomb on a rig and then go cheap on a PC, we all do, and then add shiet. This is very tempting I must say
Old 14-04-2022, 12:34 AM
toc (Tim)

I have the Ioptron CEM70G which provides USB3 and lots of power outputs on the saddle - so all you need is a small form factor PC - no powerbox needed. (although if I was doing remote imaging I would get one to allow the USB ports to be powered off and on)

I run ethernet to it so I image inside the house. If I had to sit outside with a laptop, I would have given up the hobby a long time ago
Old 15-04-2022, 11:11 AM
Hemi

Hey Greg,

All depends on your use case requirements and your current setup.

1. For visual, compared with Hand controller and integrated mount controllers: probably doesn’t offer much, but allows easier switching to EAA. Also allows you to control the mount and an electronic focuser with a game pad (I do this). But setup dependent you can potentially do this all thru sky safari alone without a nuc.

2. Compared to a standard PC: it allows mounting on the mount or OTA which may make for better cable management and local USB ports which are useful for the mount/cameras/focuser. Doesn’t deal with power management though.

3. Compared with proprietary devices like asiair: it’s much more versatile and can achieve a lot more complexity, as discussed in another thread recently.

Cheers
Old 17-04-2022, 08:07 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Fred, I bought mine in San Jose at the AIC just before the pandemic started. In USD and a couple of years ago, the cost seemed somewhat less. It's a bomb in AUD!
Old 17-04-2022, 01:11 PM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Im using the Eagle 3 mid range model. I choked on the price at the time however after 2 years of use, I would do the same again.

If you look at what you get and do the math on a mini PC + power management system + mounting, it's not that bad especially when it integrates well into NINA etc.

The Eagle works well with the through the mount cabling of my CEM70. You end up with a nice tidy rig.

Dave