Old 12-01-2022, 08:57 PM
kevy02 (Kevin)

Comet

I was thinking the other day about when I first found an interest in Astronomy in the early 60's .I was probably around 11 or 12. I remember clearly at that time there was a very bright comet that could easily be seen with the naked eye and had a large tail,and if I'm not mistaken it was visible in the Eastern sky just before sunrise.Can anyone help me here and remind me what its name was.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:16 PM
sunslayr (David)

Acording to Wikipedia there was two "Great Comets" in the 60s Comet Seki-Lines – 1962 and Comet Ikeya–Seki – 1965 the latter of which was depicted in a drawing in the skies above Canberra. Perhaps one of those is the one you are thinking of?

Edit: Also Comet Pereyra -1963
Old 13-01-2022, 08:54 PM
kevy02 (Kevin)

Comet

Thanks David, yes I'm convinced it was Comet Ikeya–Seki in 1965. It is an astronomical event that really sticks in my mind ,being 56 years ago it was an unbelievable sight.
Old 14-01-2022, 01:49 PM
doppler (Rick)

That's the comet that got me hooked as well, my dad woke me up on a cold frosty but super clear morning to show me. I remember you could see the colours in it, I was about 8 y/o then.

My next great comet came in 1996 when Comet Hyakutake passed very close to Earth in March of that year. This time I had a camera and was fortunate to capture a few pics.

Here is a wide 50mm shot taken on the final morning before it dropped out of view as it rounded the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Hyakutake.jpg)
143.0 KB148 views
Old 15-01-2022, 07:53 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Nice photo Rick. The tail on that comet was amazing. I saw the tail span approximately 30 degrees in the morning sky without any optical aid.
Old 15-01-2022, 08:03 PM
Spyrith (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
That's the comet that got me hooked as well, my dad woke me up on a cold frosty but super clear morning to show me. I remember you could see the colours in it, I was about 8 y/o then.

My next great comet came in 1996 when Comet Hyakutake passed very close to Earth in March of that year. This time I had a camera and was fortunate to capture a few pics.

Here is a wide 50mm shot taken on the final morning before it dropped out of view as it rounded the sun.
That's a beatiful shot.

Honestly after watching "Don't Look Up" I find it both beautiful and oddly terrifying, especially since it's a respectable 4km according to Wikipedia.
Old 23-01-2022, 05:45 PM
WAussie (Clive)

Great comets

Comet Ikeya-Seki was a fine sight in 1965 from dark skies in suburban Perth back in the days when all the street lights went off at 1:15 am (except for the CBD - which was very small then).

So much more light pollution now though!

According to Comet Ikeya-Seki ‘s description in Wikipedia, "As it approached perihelion observers reported that it was clearly visible in the daytime sky next to the Sun. In Japan, where it reached perihelion at local noon, it was seen shining at magnitude −10. It proved to be one of the brightest comets seen in the last thousand years, and is sometimes known as the Great Comet of 1965."

Since then other memorable comets I've seen include Hyakutake, Hale-Bopp and McNaught. Even Halley's Comet was bright in the morning sky at first, but a disappointment for many after perihelion brought it into the evening sky.
Old 24-01-2022, 10:12 AM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Comet Ikeya–Seki also fired up my interest in 1965.
Last year of my apprenticeship in merchant navy.
Mid Pacific heading to Panama, comet was awesome!
Track marked in my Norton's Star Atlas, 13th edition.
Studying navigation I had to learn the navigation stars for sights, but this comet led to my first telescope!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Comet Ikeya–Seki.jpg)
203.8 KB87 views
Old 24-01-2022, 01:50 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

That is quite a record you've kept there Chris - Interesting what people have to say when asked to cast their memory back. Comets seem to always stamp time in the minds of avid astro people.
Classic.
Anthony
Old 08-04-2022, 10:44 AM
Glassman (Richard)

Favourite Comet

Last pass of Halley's (1986) from the top of Mt Stirling, clear skies and a good view but no telescope then.
Old 09-04-2022, 10:14 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

My very first attempt at astrophotography was a shot of Halley's Comet in March 1986 using a Pentax Spotmatic F SLR and a Takumar 50mm lens. I used black and white 400ASA film and pushed processed it to 3200ASA to reduce my exposure time. Back then I developed and printed all my B/W films and photographic prints. Those were the days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (HalleysComet.jpg)
204.1 KB58 views

Last edited by Mickoid; 09-04-2022 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Added info