Old 03-12-2021, 05:41 PM
bojan
amateur

Problem with USB HDD

Gents,

I have one Toshiba 1TB HDD, Windows can't access it, but linux and myTV can.

Most likely something was damaged (allocation table?), but not enough to destroy data.
Is there a W's way to fix this?

EDIT:

I think I found the way:
chkdsk y: /x /r

Last edited by bojan; 03-12-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:15 PM
AdamJL

ha, yes. chkdsk for everything first
Old 04-12-2021, 04:22 AM
bojan
amateur

Now I have a mystery (not the first time, it happened before) - Chkdsk says all is OK.. but HDD is still not accessible for Windows (7) via USB, and is OK for smart TV.
From windows point of view, this HDD (when accessed via LAN) turned into Media Device for some reason.. refuses access from LAN as storage device, but it has it's webpage ("192.168.1.1:8200"), and I can't read file directory...

And from WiFi adapter/router perspective, it is still HDD, "sd1"
Any ideas?

BTW... I started this thread in wrong place, it was supposed to be Software and Computers.. can moderators help, please?

Last edited by bojan; 04-12-2021 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:45 AM
AdamJL

what did you do last time to fix it?

But wait, you're accessing it via LAN? What's it plugged into? The router? Sounds like it's been setup as a media device intentionally, hence the IP address.

Have you mapped the network drive? (Computer > Map Network Drive)
Old 04-12-2021, 08:43 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
BTW... I started this thread in wrong place, it was supposed to be Software and Computers.. can moderators help, please?
Yes, I saw it last night but didn’t have time to move it.
I’ve moved it for you now bojan.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:04 AM
bojan
amateur

Thank you!
Old 13-03-2022, 04:47 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
what did you do last time to fix it?

But wait, you're accessing it via LAN? What's it plugged into? The router? Sounds like it's been setup as a media device intentionally, hence the IP address.

Have you mapped the network drive? (Computer > Map Network Drive)
Yes and windows like to designate devices on its own by the first files it sees so it may have defined your drive as a media drive. Plus Windows plays silly buggers with usb devices and creates configuration/locks files hidden for its own use which is why you must expressly shutdown to safely remove any usb drives and when you replug in or plug into another computer it could become confused.

If I was you I’d reformat it (Not quick format, disable that checkbox to go through a longer proper format thats writes to every sector not just the master record. Format as ExFAT or maybe FAT32 to give you better portability between systems, FAT32 cant store files larger than4GB though and ExFAT I don't know about the limit but its specifically meant for portable storage being used across systems. But give that a shot and test with some files and see if you can access them as expected from different machines and where possibly dismount them safely before unplugging the driveI suspect theres something in group policy that has marked the drive as something so now it behaves how you dont want it. Group policy i think was where I found something to stop windows thinking my usb device was a music media device and showing in explorer with music metadata instead of a detailed file list i usually have folder set to. Definitely did it itself without asking was some filetype setting that took action on its own bloody annoying, folder options didnt make it go away permanently.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:39 PM
bojan
amateur

Well... after quite some time I finally decided to try again... because it happened again when connected to router.
I performed Disk check, but still no joy..
Then I had a look at permissions and noticed User's permissions disappeared.. No idea when this happened and/or why...

Anyway, fixed that and drive is accessible now.

Last edited by bojan; 06-05-2022 at 02:00 PM.