Old 23-12-2020, 01:59 AM
TommyJ (Tom)

Wow signal was from...

Until now, no one has been able to trace the source of the signal or explain why it is so powerful and only lasts 72 seconds. One of the main assumptions about who may own the signal source is extraterrestrial life.
Amateur astronomer Alberto Caballero, while studying this phenomenon, reasoned this way: if the source were some other form of life, it would most likely live on an exoplanet or planet like Earth.
Following this logic, Caballero began searching the public Gaia database for just such a celestial body. As a result, he discovered a star (2MASS 19281982-2640123), which almost mirrors the Sun and is located in the part of the sky where the Wow signal originated. The astronomer notes that there are other possible candidates in the area, but 2MASS 19281982-2640123 is the most likely. Caballero believes that his research will become the point for new work on the search for exoplanets.
Old 23-12-2020, 09:39 AM
leon

One of the main assumptions about who may own the signal source is extraterrestrial life.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that information, but I am a non believer in the above, I reckon we are all alone mate.

Leon
Old 23-12-2020, 03:36 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post

Hi Tom, I reckon we are all alone mate.

Leon

All together now , Are you lonesome tonight, did you miss me tonight, are you sorry we drifted apart....

Last edited by FlashDrive; 23-12-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 23-12-2020, 05:35 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
I reckon we are all alone mate.

Leon

I often wonder of we would even be able to detect our own planet from afar using current techniques. Surely it has occurred to SETI that we ourselves have only sent 2 focused narrow-band broadcasts that were deliberately seeking contact with extra terrestrial life (which is quite different from the every day signals we emit).

In my admittedly uneducated opinion, I reckon we're not alone, but the highly technical phase of life is relatively short because the qualities needed to succeed in evolution eventuality doom any advanced civilization to scarce resources, along with the means to fight over them to devastating effect. We don't live within our means. Look at Easter Island.

Cheers

Markus

Just my opinion.
Old 23-12-2020, 11:54 PM
TommyJ (Tom)

Quote:
One of the main assumptions about who may own the signal source is extraterrestrial life.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that information, but I am a non believer in the above, I reckon we are all alone mate.

Leon
Yes, at the moment I agree with you. That most likely, despite the mathematical calculations of the probabilities of other inhabited planets, we are really alone, at least in the observable universe. I would even say that I am more interested in what kind of conclusion scientists will come to after more lengthy research. How many incredible discoveries have we had in our history? Which, after some time, were explained in completely simple ways, without the intertwining of mysticism and aliens. But that doesn't make these, say, pyramids (just as an example of what was previously thought to be extraterrestrial) a bad discovery?
Old 24-12-2020, 09:48 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Someone at the observatory was using the Microwave cooker again.
Cheers
Old 17-07-2021, 09:17 AM
zeddee (Zed)

Working on getting there to find out: Warp Drive research is real!

I find it interesting when you realise how mcuh scientific discovery is inspired my philosophical ideas, and of course myth (or sci-fi !

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/star-treks-warp-drive-leads-to-new-physics/
Old 17-07-2021, 11:07 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Given it seems life is part of the chemical process and the chemical process is found everywhere this would suggest life will be everywhere where the chemical process finds the suitable environment.
The observable universe has an approximate diameter of ninety billion light years which it would seem contains limitless opportunities for the chemical process to reach life formation.
However at this point there is no evidence to support there is or there isnt ... However I fully expect that it wont be long to when we can read atmospheres and tell what our neighbours cook for dinner....and the universe is bigger than the observable universe possibly infinite so if we are alone that would defy all reason probability and opportunities.
Alex
Old 17-07-2021, 01:53 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

And clearly the signal is from a race intelligent enough to rationalise sending something and capable of concluding that any somewhat similar in intelligence species if searching would have huge piles of unimpressive data such that their signal, although very simple, would cause any receiver operator upon noticing the signal amidst all the usual stuff to exclaim " zifnat" which is our equivalent to "wow" and no doubt they would know that the "zifnat signal" would cause debate and in time further research and pursuit where at some point someone would narrow down possible source points and lobby to send a return signal.
And maybe thats what we see here
Alex