ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2022, 07:21 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Strange presences on my network

I have been trying to set up a NAS on my home network using a RaspberryPi4.

In the process, I had to determine the IP address of the Pi so I ran a program called Advanced IP Scanner.

It threw up several things on my network that I can not identify at all. The "network" is just a Netcom Wireless Router with some ethernet connections to different computers in the house.

The list of the mystery diners includes
:
AIRAYA Corp
Beijing LT Honway Technology co, Ltd
Sichuan Changhong Electric Ltd
Wistron Corporation
HangZhou KuoHeng echnology Co Ltd.

They each have a MAC address but that doesn't tell me much.

I wonder if any of these names are familiar to others and if they have any sinister overtones.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:51 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

The first three octets of the MAC address of a networked device are the “organisationally unique ID” (OUI) of the manufacturer of the Ethernet or WiFi adapter. That’s what you’re seeing. It just tells you who made those network adapters.

You can decode the OUI of any MAC address by pasting it here: https://ouilookup.com/
Old 13-03-2022, 06:09 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I guess these are justdevices you have, probably bluetooth thingies, phones tablets, door bells, whatever. Doesnt mean they have internet access but they probably do, all these trendy Smart device people insist they need will be a part of your home network just because the way thes things are usually connect, you usually connect your smart phone to your home Wifi them smart devices might also use your home wifi or your phone and the links between them are there for any othe device thats connected. They could all be self watering smart potplant pots for all i know but doesnt mean they are not sending your home network information back to people in China happy to sell the data to marketeers or scammers. But if you’ve got a smart phone your data has likely been given and sold far and wide already.Anything to worry about? Maybe not but you absolutely cant say No.If you have a smart phone you lost your privacy long ago already thats the great thing about mass data collection there are new and creatives ways people use it to abuse it usually for their profit . Maybe one of your devices is a smart lamp as well as a smart potplant pot and they can determine from the data of light usage and water usage that you are growing Pot plants and use that against you. People with huge data dumps are creative that way. Like how people have used fitbit band data to find physical locations, or terrorist training camps, where famous people live, where police safe houses are, where the bloke sleeping with your wife while you were in prison is hiding out now you’re free, all sorts of things because people are just plain dumb as a species, we want our luxury gadgets and dont think it matters about the data being gathered as long as we get our pretty graphs on our phones right?