ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-10-2021, 06:17 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

M42/M43 Orion & the Running Man

Well the new gear arrived during the week - a new telescope & a few add-ons for it. Managed to stay pretty clear last night so had the chance to set everything up & test it & I'm very happy with the result...
Canon 70D (unmodified)
Saxon 102mm APO FCD100 Triplet Refractor
Sky-Watcher EQM-35 Pro GOTO mount
ISO 800
10 x 15 sec
10 x 30 sec
20 x 180 sec
Total exposure time: 1 hr 7.5 mins
Stacked in DSS & edited in Photoshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PNG2048-.jpg)
168.5 KB106 views

Last edited by Drac0; 23-10-2021 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Exposure time correction
Old 23-10-2021, 07:35 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well done Mark you are on your way.
And yes you should be very happy with your result...next step look into Startools in fact bite the bullet and buy it ... AND try and get more data...Deep Sky Stacker is very forgiving so just frame up as close as you can to get similar to this image and grab as much as you can and stack all of it...and keep them coming.
Alex
Old 23-10-2021, 07:41 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Thanks Alex, much easier than my old Nexstar SE. First time guiding which went quite well and the ZWO focuser worked like a charm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Well done Mark you are on your way.
And yes you should be very happy with your result
Alex
Old 24-10-2021, 09:38 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Are you able to manage "layers" in Photoshop?

The go is, subject to Marc's approval, take some short exposures that reveals detail of the central region we all blow out and layer your image that shows the core burnt out under the more burn out than one would like and, at least the way I do it, use your rubber tool in Photoshop gently on the parts of the top image where blow out appears and you bring out ( or up whatever) the detail in the short exposure image at the bottom..merge them into one.. and you have the best of both worlds. Your cote looks pretty good so maybe you already do this...

AND something simple that took my images up a rung on that ladder, but having heaps of data is the key here, ...go thru and throw out everything that is not "perfect" bearing in mind in your early days wont see you throwing out much at all but develop the habbit cause it really changes the game..well at least for me so I hope my experience may be of benefit to you.

Ironically re visitors..an old drinking mate is visiting for a day or two...maybe your comment and my responce should be put in context of that playing on my mind adding the family visits and living with other people in the house...not very hermit friendly... now neither of us drink so I am very very apprehensive ...a chat on the phone is great but a couple of days is causing me to worry... I mean when you are drinking everyone is your friend and everything they say is sensible...he used to work on my wood boat ( a great shipwright) but although back then an alcoholic was an avid reader..morning tea, lunch if not at the pub or working he read ...he is one of the few people in my world that you can mention a topic and he can contribute...and very intelligent... he is going to instal a marine toilet in or by the van which is luxury plus for me ..the last part of the equation...so even if conversation is difficult the drama will be worth it...In talking it out I feel better..thanks for listening.

Alex
Old 24-10-2021, 09:56 AM
AdamJL

Orion season has started!

Nice work, Mark
Old 24-10-2021, 11:14 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Thanks Adam - I give thanks for Orion at this time of year, it's almost the only thing I can see from my front yard.

Alex - I did layer these in PS & took the core down some, but I think I should have stacked each set separately in DSS rather than doing them all together, leaving the 15s & 30s to show the core better. Will probably rework it over the coming week while the clouds are around. I did discover there are things in PS you can do with a 16bit tiff that you can't do on a 32bit tiff - no idea why that is.

As for the visitor thing - I really, really do understand. Had a period of several years where I had similar issues with people or going anywhere, was quite content to stay solely in "my space" away from the world. Until I needed to start caring for my aged mother I lived in a quiet, solitary existence. It's one of the reasons I got into astro - originally widefield Milky Way stuff - being able to go out in the middle of the night & be by myself doing something interesting was great, never having to deal with anyone. Just take care of yourself & do what you need to feel comfortable.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 24-10-2021, 02:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks for all of that..yes separate stacks..but stack the lot and use that as the main photo...put your short ones under it..and you may notice different stacks have something others dont.
And buy Startools ..you go thru and actually at first dont adjust a thing..at the end it makes it all happen with noise reduction like you will not believe.
AND reprocessing is a great way to learn and a great way to spend ordinary weather...
Alex
Old 24-10-2021, 02:30 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Thanks Alex. Will look into StarTools - just downloaded the trial to test it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks for all of that..yes separate stacks..but stack the lot and use that as the main photo...put your short ones under it..and you may notice different stacks have something others dont.
And buy Startools ..you go thru and actually at first dont adjust a thing..at the end it makes it all happen with noise reduction like you will not believe.
AND reprocessing is a great way to learn and a great way to spend ordinary weather...
Alex
Old 24-10-2021, 02:37 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I fid not find the trial useful and bought it hoping things would unfold and happily they did...
Alex
Old 24-10-2021, 11:14 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Thanks for the StarTools tip Alex. Been playing around with the trial on a couple of different things but still need to do a lot more. I know already it's better than me at doing star clusters - I can never get them right. I've attached a screenshot of 47 TUC I captured while testing the other night - at the time it was the only thing visible for me!

Thanks again.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (StarTools_TUC30_test.jpg)
198.8 KB32 views
Old 25-10-2021, 06:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I had hoped to do a polar alignment but was met with storm damage.
Alex
Old 07-11-2021, 09:54 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Rework

Got StarTools & been playing a bit, nothing else to do with these clouds. Here are the 15s, 30s & 180s stacked & edited separately. I think the 30 second looks best overall - I have no idea what I'm doing yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Orion_15_ST.jpg)
87.5 KB11 views
Click for full-size image (Orion_30_ST.jpg)
79.3 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (Orion_180_ST.jpg)
69.9 KB13 views
Old 07-11-2021, 10:14 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Mark,
Nice image of M42
Your certainly on the right track
Attached are some DSS procedures and an example workflow for Startools
I’ve been exclusively using DSS and Startools for over 4 years now ( still learning )
Hope they help in some way
Cheers
Martin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Deep Sky Stacker Basic Procedures.pdf (27.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: pdf Startools V1.7 Example Workflow.pdf (52.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-11-2021, 12:10 AM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac0 View Post
Got StarTools & been playing a bit, nothing else to do with these clouds. Here are the 15s, 30s & 180s stacked & edited separately. I think the 30 second looks best overall - I have no idea what I'm doing yet.
Keep at it!
Your 30 second shot shows a lot of promise. Keep that exposure up. You will find out quickly that Orion's core is super bright. It's one of the few objects that using software HDR doesn't work too well; you have to take two different exposure sets. One for the core, one for the rest.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:33 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Thanks for those Martin, especially the StarTools one. Of course I couldn't wait to test again.

A small stack of 10 x 15 seconds from last Sunday...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (15s_Orion_ST.jpg)
82.5 KB15 views
Old 08-11-2021, 10:43 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Mark,
Attached are some additional procedures for DSS and Startools
Cheers
Martin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Layer Module Startools for M42 Orion Nebula.pdf (373.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf DSS Stacking Multiple Nights Data.pdf (48.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-11-2021, 11:00 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Thanks Martin - was really wondering about doing layers in StarTools.