Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Hi Jeanette, that lateral streaking is the same noise I get in my new 1000D. It makes the era a complete waste of money. Canon should be embarrassed to present this sort of rubbish for sale.
Peter
Old 09-05-2011, 11:25 AM
blink138 (Pat)

hello guys
reading with interest, what about a modified 50d?
pat
Old 09-05-2011, 11:33 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

After playing with various Canons almost exclusively for Astrophotography over the past 6 years it has come to my attention that the present load, and I empahsize Load, of Canons are not worth the photons they collect when it comes to AP. I'm not talking about file formats, though its true they can be worked around (but shouldn't have to) and while Tiffs are acceptable they are not the astronomy standard, the noise from this bunch is unacceptable for astrophotography. My recommendation for anyone that wants to get into OSC imaging and can not get hold of one of the earlier models is to get a dedicated OSC camera and start from there.

JM2CW
Old 09-05-2011, 11:59 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Hi Jeanette, that lateral streaking is the same noise I get in my new 1000D. It makes the era a complete waste of money. Canon should be embarrassed to present this sort of rubbish for sale.
Peter
I'm glad to hear it's not just me Peter. I was beginning to doubt my processing skills.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:08 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

I love my wee 550D for daytime stuff (+ HD video is very cool) but my 40D is now the dedicated Astro cam - that said it's a very different beast from its stock counterpart...cooled and modded by Central DS. When I got this done I convinced myself that it would easily double as a day/astro DSLR.
The added weight/bulk put pay to this. I'm very happy with the Astro 40D performance, but in retrospect an OSC CCD would have probably been the wiser option.

Cheers
Doug
Old 09-05-2011, 01:09 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
I'm glad to hear it's not just me Peter. I was beginning to doubt my processing skills.
You do pretty well with your 550D from what I've seen jjj
Old 09-05-2011, 03:12 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugnsuz View Post
You do pretty well with your 550D from what I've seen jjj
Cheers Doug,
it's great for Lunar and Solar work, but the only half decent image I've pulled out of it was the M104 one from the other week. The background was very blotchy.
Any other images I've posted of late have been taken through Ponders' modded 20D that he kindly lent me. (what will I do when I have to give it back in a few days.....wahhhhh)
Old 09-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

Interesting discussion.

If you read THIS thread you would get a totally different opinion.
My experience with the 500D has been mixed. Sometimes the pics are so noisy, I just can't use them. Here is one I was really disappointed with. Click on the image to zoom in and you will see what I mean.
http://deepspaceplace.com/show.php?id=ngc1976b

I have a few hunches what's going on, but I don't have the evidence to back it up. One day if I have the time and energy, I'll look into it again.

James
Old 10-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Phil Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
Interesting discussion.

If you read THIS thread you would get a totally different opinion.
My experience with the 500D has been mixed. Sometimes the pics are so noisy, I just can't use them. Here is one I was really disappointed with. Click on the image to zoom in and you will see what I mean.
http://deepspaceplace.com/show.php?id=ngc1976b

I have a few hunches what's going on, but I don't have the evidence to back it up. One day if I have the time and energy, I'll look into it again.

James
for half an hour at f5 that doesn't seem so bad to me.. sure it's heavily stretched which is showing the noise, but there's a fair bit of faint detail there for a relatively short exposure time. was it taken in summer?.. warmer temps are definitely worse. will be interested to hear your theory sometime!

I think the 40D/450D does (must?) have the edge with larger pixels.. technology gains (eg gapless microlenses) since then maybe haven't quite beaten the inherent noise downside to smaller pixels. but from what i've seen (which is only a little) i'd be happy playing with any of the models since then too. the 60D and 7D looked nice with the recent subs i've seen from them..

Phil
Old 13-05-2011, 07:25 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Well guys. I decided to take the advice of most and not purchase a Newer Canon DSLR (550D) I took the advice left that a QHY8 might be a better choice as I already own a 300D that I can use for piggy back shooting. I purchased it from a fellow IIS'er and an waiting for it to arrive in the post. Can't wait to give it a try. Still trying to get my alignment and guiding down pat so I will work on that over the next week. Then the learning of the new camera software and we should be getting better shots very soon. I have just purchased Alignmaster so that should help instead of drift.. Hope to post some pictures soon so you can poke sticks at them and pressure me into doing better LOL..

Thanks all for your advice. This site helps people make better choices suited to thier needs..

Regards
Mardy
Old 13-05-2011, 07:28 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I'm so glad you decided not to buy the camera.
Honestly, you would have been very disappointed.
I hope you have many happy hours with your new camera.
Old 14-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Visionoz (Bill)

Hi Mardy

Great to hear that you've decided to cut your teeth on a OSC - the QHY8 which I'm sure you'll be very happy with the results!

I personally was a bit disappointed with my modded 40D results during last summer when I had shots that had the colorful streaks that JJJ showed! And luckily I picked up a used Orion SSDSI Pro v1 at the right price from here when I was about to send my 40D to Central DS. I have since just used the Orion SSDSI a few weeks ago using Nebulosity2 and it's very easy once everything is set up ready to run - you in fact just run it over and over again using the program - I believe my CCD is similar to the QHY8 and here's the result of my first light for it: Click Here

Good photon-capturing mate!

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Old 14-05-2011, 09:03 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

The other nice thing about CCDs if the extra headroom the extra few bits give you (usually 16 bit versus 12/14 bit DSLR). Gives a bit more leeway to show sensitive objects without burning out the highlights, albeit with a bit more processing work. All the best with the QHY!
Old 17-05-2011, 01:18 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Thank You

Thanks all for your help. I have just got back from a flying trip today to find my QHY8 has arrived. Can't wait to try it!. Thanks bill for the image it looks great and gives me some hope now of getting some better images. Once I have had time to play around with it i will post an image. Only if it's a good one! LOL..

Thanks again
Mardy
Old 20-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Phil Hart

for anybody still watching this thread.. here's a quick sample (50 percent resize) of a shot taken with somebody else's Canon 550D on my Tak Epsilon 160 scope. 5 minutes, ISO400, f3.3. Ambient temp around 10C.

http://philhart.com/files/IMG_2723_resize.JPG

Phil
Old 20-05-2011, 09:26 PM
CoolhandJo (Paul)

That shows what you can get!
Old 20-05-2011, 09:40 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

So why am I getting that lateral noise then?
I use the same processing techniques with all the cameras.
I've changed setting in DSS to try to compensate.
I've tried ICNR, High ISO noise reduction.
Manual darks.
etc etc
Believe me, I've tried my very hardest to get good data out of this camera, to no avail.
Old 20-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

Phil,

Of course we are still reading! That image looks great - was it calibrated?

Like Jeanette I don't fully understand why some images look so noisy. For sure high ISO is one cause. Anything above ISO 400 and the noise seems out of control.

I have also noticed that DeepSkyStacker wants to create diagonal banding in noisy areas.

M83, ISO400, 600 Sec, Canon 500D, f/7.5 Refractor, 50% resize - not processed.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m83sm.jpg)
205.3 KB182 views

Last edited by Moon; 20-05-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added 50% resize
Old 20-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Phil Hart

believe it or not, that image is a JPG straight off the camera! no calibration or anything!

it's a lot easier to get an impressive image on a bright object working at f3.3 but from what i've seen there's not that much difference between the last few Canon SLRs.

i really don't think the ISO setting makes that much difference above say ISO400. either you amplify the signal and noise in the camera with a higher ISO or you do it in software starting with a lower ISO. you're at unity gain by about 800 and even a little bit less makes bugger all difference.. eg in this test:

http://philhart.com/content/astropho...xposure-length

can you try something similar with your camera (just varying ISO) and see a bigger difference?

the 20D is a good camera.. big pixels.. but i can't explain why you're seeing a bigger difference than i would expect?

Phil
Old 21-05-2011, 07:52 AM
toc (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
So why am I getting that lateral noise then?
I use the same processing techniques with all the cameras.
I've changed setting in DSS to try to compensate.
I've tried ICNR, High ISO noise reduction.
Manual darks.
etc etc
Believe me, I've tried my very hardest to get good data out of this camera, to no avail.
Im starting to think you might have a dud sensor - I have a canon 7D, and I dont see any banding at ISO's of about 400 and above. Strangely I see some slight banding at low ISO's...