Old 11-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Carl

Motorising a focuser for a ed120

Just got hold of my new Black Diamond Skywatcher ed120 and If my tests on the ed120 focuser show that it is all working fine i would'nt mind adding a hand controlled motorised system to the focuser so i can actually sit close to the computer screen instead of squinting my eyes from a great distance whislt fiddling with the fine focus knob. Not concerned about using a hand controller rather than connecting to the computer if i can get good results without great expense.

Any suggestions to the make that i would need to buy? A link would come in handy.

Christ I'm sick of the bad weather, hope it's clear and still next week.

Regards
Carl
Old 11-01-2012, 10:45 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Carl

I have an Orion Electronic Focuser fitted to my scope and I have fitted the same motorised Focuser to all my scopes (Dobs, Refractors and SN).

It is an Orion Accufocus with a simple hand controller HERE

HERE is a thread I made about one type of adaptor I made which fits most Crayford style focusers.

and one style of bracket I made to fit it onto an ED80 HERE
which also worked on my 120mm refractor.
I have made different brackets for other scopes I have used it on.
It is currently on a Meade SN10 10" Schmidt-Newtonian and the bracket I made slips under the tube ring so it doesn't have to screw to anything
For the adaptor to fit the 10:1 side I used the original flexi-drive they supply and I shoved a rubbery plastic tube up inside it made from the insulation from electrical wire (with the wire removed).

I took the unit and hand controller to a local Electronics shop to show them what plugs it uses and they crimped the right connectors on the ends of a 25 metre telephone extension cable for me

In the 6 years I have had it I have only changed the 9v battery once and I use it a LOT!