Old 11-01-2012, 06:28 AM
philip58

Alignmaster help

Hi,
I was hoping to use ALIGNMASTER for drift alignment because i understand that it is very easy and quick. My problem is I have large trees in the garden which give me restricted gaps to view the night sky. When you are given the list of paired stars available to use in ALIGNMASTER for alignment i cannot get two to be seen at the same time. Is there any way of using two other stars that are not as far apart or have they got to be this far apart for succesful drift alignment.
The reason i wanted to use this software is that you dont have to drift align a star in the south and then drift align a star in the east (west). In Alignmaster you only need a view east or west and after very little work the software will calculate the adjustments needed on the mount.
If i cant find a way round the problem in ALIGNMASTER i will unfortunately have to try drift alignment using a star in the south and in the east(west). Can anyone recommend an easy to use drift alignment method

thanks
Philip
Old 11-01-2012, 07:01 AM
vanwonky (Dave)

Hi Philip,
Others will help you here no doubt but have a quick look at this thread outlining the same issue that I am having.
Cheers Dave
Old 11-01-2012, 11:58 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

First a couple of minor corrections. Hope they don't seem pedantic, but you may be a bit confused about a couple of things.

Alignmaster doesn't help with drift alignment, it helps your polar alignment. Drift alignment is another method of polar alignment completely.

Drift alignment doesn't require a star to the south. You use one on the east/west horizon to adjust your altitude, and one straight overhead for your azimuth. If you have some trees, I still presume you can see at least one horizon reasonably low? And you'd definitely be able to see straight overhead?

To answer your actual question, follow the link Dave gave above and you should find that you can add in more stars as needed.

That being said, you should be right just drift aligning? I think most that use Alignmaster do it to quickly get close polar alignment, then follow up with a drift alignment anyway to get more accurate. I know I do.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

hi Philip

Re your request for a drift alignment method, have you tried ccd drift alignment?
try these sites. 2 are using a ccd or camera.
http://www.astrophotoinsight.com/node/568
http://www.minorplanet.info/ObsGuide...ralignment.htm
http://www.astrocruise.com/articles/...n/polarnew.htm

josh