Old 16-06-2006, 11:48 AM
noelo

DSI Pro and Canon 300D

Hi,
I recently acquired my first decent scope (lx90 8") and I'm looking to use it for some planetary and DSO observations and photography.
I bought the scope at Bintel and I've noticed that they have a deal on at the moment that for around $440 you can get a DSI pro and filters if you recently bought a meade scope. Now I already have a Canon 300d and I was wondering if buying the DSI would be worth the money considering I already have the DSLR. What do people think ?

regards
Noel
Old 16-06-2006, 12:07 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Nope, I wouldn't. If you've got the 300D that will work very well on your LX90 8". You might need a focal reducer, some adapters and other bits and pieces, but it's just what you need.

If you want to do planetary imaging, then get yourself a webcam like the ToUcam 900nc. You'll get the webcam + 1.25" adapter + IR blocking filter for around $250-$300, with spare change left over from what you would've spent on the DSI Pro.

If you want to spend even more on planetary imaging, then you can spend over $1500 on a webcam but if you're just starting out I wouldn't even look at going there until you've cut your teeth with a ToUcam.

Good luck, and don't forget to ask heaps of questions!

btw to the forum! Where abouts in sydney are you, and how did you hear about us?
Old 16-06-2006, 12:18 PM
h0ughy (David)

don't listen to Mike he is on Jupiter Gas , it MAY be worth while as your mount is alt az and the software will compensate to help rotate the image as your getting it. Is it the DSI pro model they are offering. You can try and if not ok sell it for more than the $400 as they are over a grand with filters. will allow you to do a few things the 300d can't, but in saying that the 300D is the future way to go, especially if you gret a derotator or a wedge.
Old 16-06-2006, 01:52 PM
noelo

thanks for your help guys....I think I'm gonna get the DSI Pro and as houghy said I can always sell it if I don't like or use it....

Yes Mike first post on the forums, I just joined at the start of the week.
I found the forums via Google and one of the guys at Bintel recommended the site as well. I'm based in Balmain in Sydney which is probably not the best for light pollution but the last few nights have been good playing around with the scope particularly with Jupiter high in the sky...I can't wait to take it to more darker areas to see what it can really do...
Old 16-06-2006, 02:08 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

the price they are offering the dis pro for you could probably get close to your money back with a resale
Old 16-06-2006, 03:02 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

If you are going to take DSO with the LX90 then you will want either an Off Axis Guider or a guidescope to autoguide with. The DSI would be good for autoguiding. Or as h0ughy says you can always onsell it.
Old 16-06-2006, 06:38 PM
h0ughy (David)

I am chuffed, someone listened to my advice. there is always a first time. Probably wont happen again, giving good advice!
Old 16-06-2006, 10:21 PM
rogerg (Roger)

I actually agree more with Mike. Already having the 300D the webcam (being the perfect planetary imaging camera) would complete the package better than a DSI would.

Also imaging Jupiter with a webcam requires much less precision on the mount's behalf than imaging a series of even 30 second exposures with a DSI. You might end up just getting frustrated with the DSI because of the relatively long focal length of the 8" and small pixels size, resulting in it being hard to get nice sharp non-trailing images.

In contrast I know people who get great images of the planets with webcam's on very incaccurately motorised DOB's.

Roger.
Old 22-06-2006, 08:34 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Here's an excellent link showing what's needed and where to get the necessary bits for astrophotography on an LX90 with the 300D http://www.users.bigpond.com/lansma/
Old 23-06-2006, 08:51 AM
noelo

thanks for that link it has answered a lot of questions....