Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 16-08-2021, 04:24 PM
AdamJL

New Scope - Slipping in Rings

Hi all

I received my new Esprit 120 today. Looks like a nice bit of kit, but sadly it has a problem.

The rings aren't holding the scope in place. They're locked tight, but with just a bit of effort, the entire scope can slide back and then the weight is held by the flimsy dew shield. Imagine this snapping off during an attended session. The entire scope and camera would fall and smash to the ground,

I'm in touch with the seller at the moment to find a solution, and might bring a planned purchase of 3rd party rings forward... but has anyone encountered something similar on a scope before, and how did you fix it? I'm thinking of putting some tape on one side of the rings so it first slows travel then stops it with friction.

I know it's new, but this scope is actually TOO smooth

Cheers
Adam
Old 16-08-2021, 04:46 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Hi all

I received my new Esprit 120 today. Looks like a nice bit of kit, but sadly it has a problem.

The rings aren't holding the scope in place. They're locked tight, but with just a bit of effort, the entire scope can slide back and then the weight is held by the flimsy dew shield. Imagine this snapping off during an attended session. The entire scope and camera would fall and smash to the ground,

I'm in touch with the seller at the moment to find a solution, and might bring a planned purchase of 3rd party rings forward... but has anyone encountered something similar on a scope before, and how did you fix it? I'm thinking of putting some tape on one side of the rings so it first slows travel then stops it with friction.

I know it's new, but this scope is actually TOO smooth

Cheers
Adam
Hi Adam,

You may have to experiment or look around somewhat, but some very wide (10 to 20mm) rubber or silicone rubber bands would fix the issue. Don't stretch the band too much, perhaps something like these ....
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/28193129...8AAOSwB4NWufjL
or these (Might be ideal given 1 inch width, but perhaps too tight???) ....
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26103089...frcectupt=true

If the mount rings are very thick then just use 2 or 3 bands next to each other or you could do none of that and use a more traditional felt lining perhaps 1mm thick

Best
JA
Old 16-08-2021, 04:53 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

If the rings are lined with felt, you can remove them and add thicker, self-adhesive felt. If you feel that that would not work, due to said smoothness of the tube, you may be able to use self-adhesive craft-foam instead, and of a suitable thickness. Craft-foam will grip, and to where you'd have to loosen the rings considerably just to rotate the tube, if needed.

Last edited by Eldest_Sibling; 16-08-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 16-08-2021, 05:32 PM
AdamJL

Thanks fellas for the suggestions!

I'm annoyed that a pricey scope came with such a fault.
Old 16-08-2021, 07:55 PM
raymo

Don't let a 10 minute fix annoy you, life's too short, just enjoy the scope.
raymo
Old 16-08-2021, 08:05 PM
Wilso

It doesn’t sound like the right size rings.
Should be nice and snug if it’s new. Only after years of use the felt can become warn. Easy enough to change the felt, but you shouldn’t have too.
Old 16-08-2021, 08:42 PM
glend (Glen)

Go to Bunnings, if you can, and buy a roll of silicon tape, aka Tommy Tape, Rescue Tape, etc. One wrap around the tube at each ring location should do the job. Make sure you stretch the silicon tape tight, as it adheres best in a stretched state, and over lap at the ends to lock it. This stuff is used to seal boost hoses on turbos, and pipe leaks, so it is plenty strong enough for your use.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tommy-ta...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 17-08-2021, 09:42 AM
Sitt (Simon)

The standard SkyWatcher tube rings that came with my Espirit 120 were perfect, nice and tight around the tube with no movement whatsoever. As others have said, easy fix
Old 17-08-2021, 11:33 AM
AdamJL

Thanks folks. I’m going to get the seller to sort this out. The more I think about it, the more I don’t like the idea of paying that much money for a scope only for me to have to fix a possibly catastrophic/fatal flaw before first use. But these are all good suggestions to know in future if I ever have to play around with the scope once I’ve worn it in

Many thanks
Old 17-08-2021, 03:00 PM
Sitt (Simon)

When you say seller are you referring to the shop or was it second hand? Second hand came straight to mind when the term seller was used but not certain. If it's new then off course return it
Old 17-08-2021, 05:45 PM
AdamJL

Shop, mate
I don’t buy this stuff privately. No warranty protection

If they send me replacement rings that work I’ll be happy
Old 17-08-2021, 05:57 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Shop, mate
I don’t buy this stuff privately. No warranty protection

If they send me replacement rings that work I’ll be happy
If it's brand new from a shop then there is no ifs no buts. They need to rectify the issue free of charge.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:35 PM
AdamJL

Just an update. I got replacement rings recently and they are nice and tight... no slipping!
Tasco confirmed that the wrong felt had been put on the first set.

So everything is setup now and ready to go.