Old 29-04-2010, 07:36 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

USB drivers require install every time

I'm imaging from my new observatory tonight. Its got 2 stories, a fridge with beer, toilets and a garage for the car. I got around to buying a 10m active USB extension cord, so I can keep the laptop inside while everything else is outside in the cold talking to the mozzies....

Only problem is now the Orion Starshoot Autoguider and QHY9 insist of having their drivers reinstalled as "New Hardware" by Windows XP 32 bit Professional as I go to get started. This has been happening for a while with the SSAG since I started putting it into my USB hub near the scope. Now both are confused with the USB extension.

Configuration is:
QHY9 + SSAG + HEQ5Pro USB/TTL/RJ45 cable all going to unpowerred usb hub mounted on moun
Hub connected to 10m active usb extender cable, which comes back to the same USB port on my laptop have always used for the hub when close to the rig.

I suppose I have to unload everything, scrub registry, then reinstall?
Any advice appreciated. Not the end of the world to reinstall every imaging run, but does use up 5-10mins
Old 29-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Hi Rob, I could not run my QHY8Pro and QHY5 on the same hub at all. There was some conflict or another so I ran a separate active USB cable for the imaging camera. Not much help I suppose.
Old 29-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Rob

I discovered that the (original) Orion Deep Sky Star Shooter (ODSSS) asked for a re-install of drivers when I connected it to one of the 4 USB 2.0 ports on my IBM Docking Station.

Once I loaded the drivers, I always plugged the ODSSS into the same USB port and that fixed the problems.

Try to see if identifying / labelling the USB ports and connecting the devices to the “as installed” port fixes the problem.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 29-04-2010, 07:47 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I find this problem with a number of USB cameras (DSI, QHY8, PL130M). I now label the ports on the hub and always use the same port for a certain camera.
Old 29-04-2010, 07:57 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Hi Rob, I could not run my QHY8Pro and QHY5 on the same hub at all. There was some conflict or another so I ran a separate active USB cable for the imaging camera. Not much help I suppose.
I never really expected I would get away with it either Doug, but over the last 12 months this rig has been working quite reliably for my 450D and now the QHY9. Only thing new is the USB extension.
Old 29-04-2010, 08:00 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Dennis and Peter - I should have mentioned earlier, I'm always very careful to maintain the USB leads in the same ports on the hub and that going back to same laptop port. In fact, I try to never remove them from the hub unless travelling a long distance by road. The problem with the SSAG originally started when I did some daytime fiddling with my finder/guidescope project and bypassed the hub and put it straight into the laptop during some daytime playing. It was never happy again in the hub.

Suspect I've done the same thing now introducing a new USB device into the chain.
Old 29-04-2010, 08:04 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Once I had plugged the QHY8 into every USB port on the laptop, and into every port on the hub I carry around with it, and the hub into every port, for a grand total of 15 locations it stopped asking.

Until I updated the drivers, and had to start all over again.

Now it always goes into the same port.

My Atik works no matter which port I plug it into with only the one driver install.
Old 29-04-2010, 08:08 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Once I had plugged the QHY8 into every USB port on the laptop, and into every port on the hub I carry around with it, and the hub into every port, for a grand total of 15 locations it stopped asking.

Until I updated the drivers, and had to start all over again.

Now it always goes into the same port.

My Atik works no matter which port I plug it into with only the one driver install.
Sounds like I better get some icons for the drivers on the desktop where I can find them easily.
Old 29-04-2010, 08:54 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Devices like to have their own ports I've found. Exactly the same one every single time.
Old 29-04-2010, 08:57 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Sounds like I better get some icons for the drivers on the desktop where I can find them easily.
After you've installed once you can fake it. Have Windows look for the files in %SystemRoot%\system32 and %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers

Or put them in an easy to type directory like c:\qhyccd

The latest QHYCCD 32/64 drivers are less painful. IIRC one install works for them on all ports. But I still always use the same port.

And I've finally found a 3m USB2 cable which the QHY8 will work with.
Old 29-04-2010, 09:23 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Devices like to have their own ports I've found. Exactly the same one every single time.
That's right. That's all that's needed. Label your ports/hubs and make sure you plug everything back in the same way. I run Gemini, QHY5, QHY8, GPSUB, Lodestar all off the one hub on the mount. I have only one connection from the hub to the laptop.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

I think I've got this sorted now. I've been trying all sorts of combinations of uninstalls, registry deletes, reinstalls tonight.

For both SSAG and QHY9, they seem happy if I do the following:

- don't cancel Windows prompting for drivers
- select "No, not this time" for software search
- Then, "Install from a specific location(Advanced)"
- Then, "Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install"

Windows seems to be happy the drivers are installed in their correct spot then.

Maybe I've just been naughty and should have been doing this all along....
Old 02-05-2010, 07:45 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
And I've finally found a 3m USB2 cable which the QHY8 will work with.
I've borrowed Allan's QHY8 and haven't had any problem using it with 2x3m Belkin USB cables with a powered hub in the middle. Have these cameras had issues with 3m cables?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:51 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
I've borrowed Allan's QHY8 and haven't had any problem using it with 2x3m Belkin USB cables with a powered hub in the middle. Have these cameras had issues with 3m cables?
Guess which brand worked. Belkin.

Mine seems to be rather picky - like it needs good quality cables. It was working off a powered USB2 hub with the cable that came with it, but one night it just stopped and would only work straight off the notebook. I tried several powered hubs and none would work. I think 3m is long enough to not pull the notebook off the table.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:51 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Nah... I use an unpowered USB hub at 5m without any boost and have standard 2m USB cables going to each camera from the hub. Never had any issue.