Old 28-04-2010, 06:44 PM
koputai (Jason)

Storage when on the road

Folks,

Does anyone around here use a portable storage device for downloading their images to from the camera when on a road trip or holidays, rather than taking a laptop with you?

There used to be device specially designed for this, with a colour screen on the side so you could browse your images.

Any suggestions? I'm heading o/s soon and don't want to have to take a laptop with me.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 28-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I see 32gig CF cards are available for about $100. Would you need more than that?
Old 28-04-2010, 07:12 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

There are still special purpose devices for this, eg.
http://www.epson.com.au/products/multimedia/p7000.asp

I'm doing a big trip later in the year and I'm leaning towards a small laptop, but a special purpose device like the Epson probably suits some people better.

A 32GB card is a wonderful thing, but I'm not sure I want to trust several weeks of memories to a single device, especially one with a crappy Microsoft filesystem on it

I also do a lot of HDRs and panoramas, and it is suprising how much storage gets chewed up with multiple exposures.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 28-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
A 32GB card is a wonderful thing, but I'm not sure I want to trust several weeks of memories to a single device, especially one with a crappy Microsoft filesystem on it
But isn't putting everything on a $1K epson device stuffing several weeks worth of memories into a single device as well? Uploading to webspace from an Internet Cafe is probably the most cost effective.
Old 28-04-2010, 07:25 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
But isn't putting everything on a $1K epson device stuffing several weeks worth of memories into a single device as well? Uploading to webspace from an Internet Cafe is probably the most cost effective.
Sorry, I wasn't suggesting the Epson device as a better option. I'll keep my images on a laptop with a backup copy on another memory card or a USB stick or something. Uploading is fine, but a bit painful for large RAW image sizes.
Old 28-04-2010, 07:42 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Wow, I can't travel anywhere without my laptop.
Mine came with me to Fiji. No dramas.
I'm glad I had it with me. I took so many many photos.
It took up less room than the little go-to mount that was also in my suitcase.
Old 28-04-2010, 08:55 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

I had a recent trip to Egypt to which i took my eeepc, im a dedicated kinda person and thankfully I am because on a really long train ride i left my camera on the train and the next day my partners camera died (lucky im a figiter and pulled the camera apart! so i had my eeepc with all the photos on it and a 500gb WD portable hdd it fits all in the bag happydays. a bit over 1kg!