Old 23-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Adelastro1 (Wayne England)
Hard to soar like eagles.

Baader Alan Gee Telecompressor Mark II

Does anyone have any experience with the Baader Alan Gee Telecompressor Mark II (focal reducer/flattener) for SCTs? Just came across it while doing research into which FR to buy and it seems pretty good. Meade etc seem to have problems still by not completely flattening the field and also with focussing in some instances. I don't mind paying a bit extra if the quality is there - why skimp on a couple of hundred dollars with a set up worth thousands if you get better images! Would save a lot of time and frustration if it is indeed better than the standard ones. This also seems to have the added bonus of being able to attach bino viewers.

Thanks,
Wayne
Old 25-04-2010, 09:43 AM
garymck (Gary)

Have a look at this thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-...ed-m16-ha.html

results look good and better than I've seen with a standard f6.3 reducer....

hope it helps,
cheers
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelastro1 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Baader Alan Gee Telecompressor Mark II (focal reducer/flattener) for SCTs? Just came across it while doing research into which FR to buy and it seems pretty good. Meade etc seem to have problems still by not completely flattening the field and also with focussing in some instances. I don't mind paying a bit extra if the quality is there - why skimp on a couple of hundred dollars with a set up worth thousands if you get better images! Would save a lot of time and frustration if it is indeed better than the standard ones. This also seems to have the added bonus of being able to attach bino viewers.

Thanks,
Wayne
Old 25-04-2010, 11:56 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:

Thanks,
Wayne

It certainly appears interesting. I do not think it's much of a field flattener but that said many other have said the same about the meade/Celestron 6.3Fl reducers as well.

From what I can see on the net it's results are excellent and field wise is no worse that the other aforementioned reducers.

I am after a reducer for a C8 as well and this obviously has to be right up there on the list.

Thanks.

Edit:

Appears to be more info over at the SCT users group. A serch show lots of info on it. Some not so kind.

Last edited by wasyoungonce; 25-04-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 25-04-2010, 09:44 PM

Thanks guys. I'm even more confused now! The more I read the more FRs I find and the more conflicting info! I just want to find the best FR to use with a DSLR and a 12in Meade SCT.... why is it so hard??
Old 26-04-2010, 08:03 AM
riklaunim

SCTs have limited light circle. Using this: http://timosastro.1g.fi/tools/focalreducer.html
With 6,3 reducer you get 26.92 mm circle, 22.08mm at f3.3. Nikon D3s is full frame CMOS 23.9mm x 36mm sensor so you will get vignetting no matter what

If that Meade has true 2" visualback (2" diameter of the optical path, not just 2" visualback) then you could use things like Antares 2" 0.7x or Antares 2" 0.5x Focal reducers, however - they aren't flatteners, and they have to be screwed quite close to the DSLR sensor.
Old 26-04-2010, 09:10 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm even more confused now! The more I read the more FRs I find and the more conflicting info! I just want to find the best FR to use with a DSLR and a 12in Meade SCT.... why is it so hard??
The Meade & Celestron F6.3 reducers will work a treat. Just make sure you have the camera sensor at the correct distance from the reducer to optimise your reduction & field flattening.

The Alan Gee reducer looks nice and Celestron probably liked the idea so much they introduced a similar type in their Edge scopes. But the Alan Gee reducer is a bit of unknown and is not a field flattener. I also think there may be issues using this reducer with a crayford rear cell focuser...not sure though.

So best bet ATM is to stay with the Meade/Celestron reducers.
Old 27-04-2010, 10:59 PM

Thanks guys. Yeh I think I've accepted that I'll have some vignetting. I guess I mainly want to get as flat a field as possible.