Old 25-04-2010, 11:46 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Glass snobs

Hello all...
I recently sold a Mark 1 nifty fifty lens I purchased for $40 (in Cash Converters) on eBay for $250. (God bless the buyer!!)

Now, I've owned both versions of this lens (Mk1 and 2) and I know for a fact that when used in AF mode, this lens will give you the same result - it's a very nice /cheap lens.

Why do we attach such value to minor cosmetic stuff (the differences really don't justify the price hike) and obvious techno/nerd hype!?

(this may also tie into the "Greed - is it good" thread!!)
Old 26-04-2010, 07:56 AM
koputai (Jason)

Maybe it's because I just got out of bed (and checked IIS first thing, saaaaaad!), but I don't quite get what you're saying.

Is the NF Mk1 a camera nerd collectors item, thus the ridiculous price you got for it?

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 26-04-2010, 08:34 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

The Nifty 50 is a wonderful little lens. I love mine too!
Sure, it's not L glass, but if it was you'd be paying a hell of a lot more for it.
Is your issue with the perceived values with have of certain items?
Old 26-04-2010, 07:25 PM
leon

I think I know what you are saying Doug, and if we were all honest with ourselves most of us tend to want the best, even if we can't afford it.

I have to suppose that some of us want to out do the other, even if it, the item sits in the cupoard.

Then there are some that can see the difference in expensive glass, (and that is probably not me) or is it just that ego trip about that sexy red stripe around the L Glass or the length of that 500mm White one

Cheers mate, Leon.
Old 26-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
I think I know what you are saying Doug, and if we were all honest with ourselves most of us tend to want the best, even if we can't afford it.
Too true! We also like to kid ourselves into believing that it is money well spent. Yet, once a certain level of performance is reached any tiny incremental performance gain is bought with a lot of additional cost. If a $200 piece of gear performs twice as good as a $100 part of a cheaper brand the same can rarely be said about the step up to a $400 model. With escalating investment the returns are truly diminishing.

However, the nagging uncertainty of what could be tempts many of us (myself firmly included) into spending more that we should in areas where we probably shouldn't. But, thus is human nature, and the best precaution against foolish spending one can take is probably doing real-world side-by-side testing under one's own circumstances whenever one gets the chance to do so. Astronomy can be both a solitary and a social pursuit, those who get the opportunity to rub shoulders with fellow observers in the field should make the best of it and could save a lot of money in the process.

Cheers
Steffen
Old 26-04-2010, 08:58 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Perhaps I was a wee bit harsh in my original post as I think I'm as susceptible to this kind of stuff as anyone.
Well said leon...
"I have to suppose that some of us want to out-do the other, even if the item sits in the cupboard."

Last edited by dugnsuz; 26-04-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: edit
Old 27-04-2010, 06:00 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

For me, personally, it's not about out-doing anybody, and it's not necessarily about wanting the most-expensive. I think it's about enjoying the hobby, and when you're using your equipment you don't want to be limited by it. I'd much rather have the limiting factor be my skill, or lack thereof, than the gear. If I take a bad shot, I want to say "I stuffed that up, what did I do wrong so I can improve next time", not "My gear let me down". It gives you room to improve. There's nothing more disappointing than shooting something with inadequate gear and missing the opportunity to capture the moment.

I don't have a bag full of "L" series lenses. I do have some, but I also have some cheaper lenses. Not "Nifty Fifty" cheap, but relatively cheap. It's about their performance, not their cost.

I've thought many times in the last few months about upgrading my camera from a 40D to the 5D MkII, but at this stage I can't justify it. It's not the cost, I can afford it. By the 40D isn't reallly holding me back, it does everything I want and need it to do for me at the moment.

PS - I had the 50 f/1.8 MkII. It was cheap, and it took ok images. I have seen some wonderful shots taken with it in the right hands. But it wasn't for me. The AF I found horribly noisy and slow, hunting all over the place to achieve focus. Sold it, but didn't get anywhere near what you did! Well done!
Old 27-04-2010, 03:37 PM
TrevorW

Unfortuantely there is no try before you buy often we jump the gun based on reviews and the opinions of others and then end up wishing we hadn't but thats life I suppose.