Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Paul Haese

Continuing on with NGC6357

I have been adding more and more data to this project over the last month. I am now up to 6.5 hours on NB but only 40 minutes on colour so far. I am anticipating that I will need something in the order of 12 hours of data to make this image really work. There is a lot of dust in this region that is just starting to show in the image.

I used Ken Crawford's tut on 6 filter image combinations and followed Martin Pugh's colour scheme of the same object. It looks quite un-natural and quirky; yet I like it.

More data will give me the buttery background I am looking for and allow me to stretch the data further.

Star colour is ok, but saturation is not great and needs examining when I get more RGB data. The halos are still present and need attention. Someone pointed me to a good tut before but I cannot seem to find it. I think I have some bad NB filters which I will need to replace.

Click here for image.
Old 22-05-2012, 11:34 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Whoa, that's an interesting look! I'll be very keen to see what it looks like when finished.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 22-05-2012, 12:19 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Looking good so far. It looks like Audrey out of the Little Shop of Horrors, don't you think??. LOL
Old 22-05-2012, 12:34 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

I've always liked this object, it has so many little details and shapes in it.

This is looking quite interesting, already looks quite smooth to me though....narrowband grows on everyone once they start doing it

Mike
Old 22-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Looking good so far. It looks like Audrey out of the Little Shop of Horrors, don't you think??. LOL
Yes has that quality of feed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
I've always liked this object, it has so many little details and shapes in it.

This is looking quite interesting, already looks quite smooth to me though....narrowband grows on everyone once they start doing it

Mike
As a RGB image it is quite un-interesting, the narrow band does make for a better looking image. I suppose I dislike some of the NB palettes more than anything. The green is just aweful in my opinion, but Hubble palette makes for a pleasant view. Now just to get my RGB flowing in the images too and this will make for a greater impact.
Old 22-05-2012, 01:50 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Wow! That's really good. The filament structure is really popping out now. I also like the hints of Oiii in the middle of the neb. Very nice view.
Old 22-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Stevec35 (Steve)

Looking quite good Paul although it doesn't have that "pop" appearance yet that no doubt will come with more data.

Cheers

Steve
Old 22-05-2012, 07:04 PM
gregbradley

Those blue halos are a bit nasty. Any idea what's causing them?

Are these antireflection coated filters?

Greg.
Old 22-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Paul Haese

Thanks guys,

Greg, yes these Astronomiks type 2 filters but they may have the halo problem. Which means changing them. I am in the process of getting information together to give to astronomiks. However it maybe something to do with the reducer and the filters interacting with that. I really don't know but I have seen it in all my narrow band images including Ha for some time now.
Old 23-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Peter.M

I know the halo's arent supposed to be there but I wouldnt say they are distracting for me. A little bit like diffraction spikes for a newtonian personal preference really.

It is much smoother than last time Paul.
Old 23-05-2012, 07:53 AM
allan gould

Paul
I really love the look of that image. Sharp, we'll composed and just very well processed. It does look as if there is a problem with the filter but Astronomiks replaced mine with no hesitation.
Would it be possible , as there are quite a number of people doing NB right now, for you to give a lesson of what filters you place in which spectral position, exposure times and some idea of your processing flow.
I know it's a big ask but I get a bit frustrated when I find I can't get the image I want as I'm not processing it correctly.
Thanks, Allan
Old 23-05-2012, 10:43 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Interesting colours with this & Nice result Paul, The center is quite intriguing, Top target,