ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Setting up Multiple Telescopes

Setting up Multiple Telescopes for both visual and imaging.

I am thinking of getting more than one telescope, so that I can enjoy both planets, and DSO.

Rather than get two mounts ... I am thinking of having them atop or side by side.

Once I decide what kinds of telescopes and the pros and cons each will have in the other with regard to setting them up on the same mount...

And yes ... I need to decide on what type of mount and type of telescope... but I'm a bit slow like that:

WHAT KIND OF RINGS is what I am thinking so that they are on the same target....

My mate does not like planets ... I do ... so I am looking for a good scope for planets ... I have read some good things about making a long focal length 8in or even ten inch Newtonian ???

I have to admit, the idea of using an 8" f8 (???) would make a good base for an ED80 perhaps???

Would I need the EQ6Pro or could I get away with an HEQ5Pro......

I know I have asked these questions before...but this time the money is building up and I am excited...............

So lets talk...tell me what I have left out and what I need to know...??
Old 20-01-2012, 09:19 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

An 8" F8/10 scope with a ED80 or ED100 would make a nice combo but you're going to need a pretty good mount, like the new LX80 (when they're out and if they're any good) or at least an EQ6 to carry that load. I'd suggest a Meade SCT OTA in that size and any refractor brand you might like in the sizes I suggested. The problem with an 8" f/8 newt is its physical size. Even though the mirror isn't large that scope is going to be rather long and fairly heavy. When it moves as its tracking, its going to have considerable rotational torque and act like a big lever, especially if you get a breeze blowing. It could literally lever over your mount or put that much strain on it, the bearings may give out after awhile. The SCT being a lot smaller will mean your mount will be a lot more stable and more enjoyable to use. If you tried using a 10" scope of the same design, it would be even worse and you'd also need a larger mount even if it was an SCT as the added weight would be pushing those other mounts close to their limits. A G11 or larger would be needed.
Old 20-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Barrykgerdes

I don't quite get what you mean. Do you want to use two different type scopes on a mount so that you can look at an object while photographing in the same area.
or
just use a single mount to do different things without having to set up a second scope.

If your mount is robust enough two scopes say an 8/10" newtonian or a 8/10" SCT for narrow field with a piggy back ED80 is a very common arrangement amongst the photographers allowing photography and guiding from either. or just visual observation. The most common trouble with this arrangement is differential flexure when guiding with one and photographing in the other. In fact many often have a wide angle DSLR as a third image source.

If you want to do visual with one while photographing with the other you will have trouble keeping the assembly stable enough for photography.

If you have some money invest in the best mount you can. At minimum an EQ6 but a G11 would be better. Suitable scopes are relatively cheap these day. An average scope on a good mount will out perform a good scope on a poor mount.

Barry
Old 20-01-2012, 10:38 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Barry, I think he means something like what I just posted as an image, below...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (916201180042.jpg)
121.0 KB41 views
Old 20-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Barrykgerdes

Yes the side by side mount is another variation in common use but a little harder to arrange with a GEM. like the EQ6 than the piggyback method.

Barry
Old 20-01-2012, 11:34 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

The thing with the LX80 mount is if you want to use it as a GEM, you can, because it can convert between alt-az and EQ modes.
Old 20-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Davekyn (David)

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the responses ... much appreciated.
You both make excellent points and have given me much to think about.
It really is hard to get it all in one package...oh well...not to worry.

NOW that looks like an awesome setup Carl ... money money money.

OK ... I was looking at only 3000 for the finish setup. Two scopes a mount and maybe a toucam pro to experiment with and possibly having my 550D modified, but after reading posts on the canon 550D ... I think that will be strictly for terrestrial shooting.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a hard one for me ... I like the visual aspect and have been spoiled with a 12" dob with filters and so on ... For my comeback I have been thinking about the 16" GSO Dob and I can only imagine what the obs through such an app would be like ... but I am not sure about the comfort factor ... excuse me while I contemplate this ... I never really thought much about the high mag vieing of Jupiter and moon transits through a 12" dob as it just seem to be lacking the contrast and or sharpness my 60mm tasco gave ... Now I bet that is hard to believe ... BUT ... honestly ... even if it was only slightly better ... I never really like my dob on the planets full stop ... to malty and soft looking ...

But I did fall in love for the DSO's ... especially galaxies!!!
___________________________________ _________________

Why the fascination with planets then??? ... When I had my ED80 which I never got around to imaging with ... I was astounded with the clarity, however it just did not do for the magnification and I still thought the longer focal length of my toy tasco gave some pretty good results...It just does not make sense...perhaps I suffered from too much imagination with the tasco with the red spot present and all...

I could make out a lot of detail with that little scope and spent a lot of hours fiddling with it to see more and more as the nights went by ...

I guess the longer focal length makes a big difference ...

Sorry for the ramble ... obviously I have no idea...
I think I will just spend two grand on a humble planetary setup with the Toucam pro to play some ... I love the moon so can have lots of fun with that too.

I am disappointed that my friend does not have the same passion about the solar system objects ...

And I'll just spend the other on a 12" Dob and accessories to quell that side of my passion.

Guess I will look into a planetary setup ... I don't want flex and all those other issues ... and I do want good results playing with moon pics, videos and so on as well as planetary ones.

So if I do decide to just get a dob to wet my whistle with DSO's ...
What do you think about Maks ....
The thing I do not like about the 120ED is the short focal length as I did not end up liking my ED80 for that ... Obviously I am giving up on the idea of imaging DSO's in favor of Better Planetary Observations ... something I have not yet been able to do ... Sure it can be done and I hear many people doing it with their dobs ... but once again ... I was never satisfied with the high mag views ... and I always had to watch it slip by at any rate.....

Bla Bla Bla ... LOL ... doing what must be done before wasting my money.........................

Thanks again for your replies ......
Old 21-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Davekyn (David)

I think I hate having to choose which telescope!
Arrgghhh............Total funds have been reduced to $2200.00. Therafter I just want to forget about it other than the odd accessory around $150.00.

My mind is mush ... I know longer know what I want ... In such an event Andrews 16inch GSO Dob is looking like a good impulse regardless of my intent to image planets ...

I am open to any suggestions ... despite swinging so wildly.
Old 21-01-2012, 09:45 AM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

I would go with 2 separate setups rather than tryting to make one do both things - it will always be a compromise - and probably more expensive in the end as well.

A big dob will give you great DSO views, as well as the ability to image the planets and the moon. Start with 12" and go from there. You will get something 2nd hand that will knock your socks off, and still leave money in the kitty to put towards a decent mount for imaging. For $2200 - you might even get the 12"-er and an EQ6 and if you still have the ED80(?) you can make a start imaging with some short unguided shots through that.

Cheers
Adam
Old 21-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Davekyn (David)

Much appreciated Adam. I sold my ED80 with ALL my other gear to fund a venture in order to "have a go" at making something else work. It did not work out, but I learned from the experience.

I got an new Job since, have now saved all I can and will be able to for some time. I also had the privilege of meeting a member from IIS that live in my Town and since have been good friends.

He took a leap and got himself a 12" light bridge which needs more light that its been getting. Originally we both frequented a dark site in which I use out of town (reasonably dark) and he used his Giant Binos and I used my only 15X70's.

We moved onto a 6inch reflector on a EQ mount and this kind of reminded me of my dob nights ... Eventually I got a bit unwell and we both did not go out of town much after that, although my good friend kept up his observations from town and later acquired his 12" Dob that is awaiting my enthusiasm and assistance.

I am very keen although still exhausted from my efforts working in the sun all day as a landscape Gardner... So it is that I can now spend 2200, but no more...its taken me a huge effort and I don't want to mess this purchase up this time.

I regretted buying the ED80 because I never got the mount and so on. It just sat there whilst I kept being wowed by the views from my then 12'GSO dob. As I said though, I was a little diapointed with planteary vewing with it ... must of been me I guess ... not sure why I thought it looked so malty at high mags or just got sick of the shaking and nudging to let it settle on a sharp image................

Anyways...I agree with what your saying ... I have given up on the multiple idea and steering to getting the best Visual setup...forgive me as I usually sound rather manic in these situations...I mean well...just looking to make the right choice this time and not be dispointed with half my money sitting unused like the ED80 was ... I have no issue with dragging a 12" in and out...that was never an issue for me...I also believe I would soon adjust to an EQ mount as well.

I actually have to choof off and do some laboring now ... (the things we must do : ) ... I will think some more on your sugestion ... that would have to be second hand though ... I can get a GSO12" dob from Andrews for around 799...Despite my disappointment with Jupiter and the like...perhaps the change from 2200, may help me correct this problem some how...I really still am hooked on the DSO's that scope provided me and I absolutely love the challenge of star hopping with binos to find targets.

Best of all, I made a good friend in here, that I know is just waiting for my desire to spark again ... togeather we could have some real fun star hopping like so and teasing out the image from both scopes as well as each other. Best be off to work...I hate late starts...

Thanks Again
Dave
Old 21-01-2012, 12:29 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Dave, if you want to see DSOs you need really dark skies and lots of aperture. You can't be a big Newt for bang per buck. Visual very different to imaging them mind you. For planetary, you need aperture and focal length. A big dob is again hard to beat, but a decent SCT definitely in the running but lot more expensive than a newt usually.

I'd suggest you'd be better off with a single 10 or 12" GOTO (tracking) dobsonian for what you describe.

What you really need to decide is why you want an equatorial mount. For planetary imaging you don't really need it, but anything requiring individual exposures >30 secs you're better off going equatorial.
Old 21-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Davekyn (David)

Thanks Rob. The following is from Andrews Communication:

C8-SGT 8" Go-To XLT
200mm x 2000mm package

This is within my price range. I understand I will miss out on the wider targets ... but would the viewing comfort on something like this be reasonable? I take it the tracking would be good for such viewing?

Will check out some reviews...

I think I like the idea if it's a closed unit and a bit easier to store in my house and so on ... those aspects are attractive too. I have read they are also a good way to start with a web cam perhaps? ...

Thanks for your response ... you have helped me out in the past too.
Cheers
Dave.

Edit...after looking for a bit ... would the fact that there is not 2" back on it be a major issue ... could I upgrade this later on?
I note the mount that comes with it ... CG-5 "Go-To" may not be the version that other retailers are selling it with ...
the OTA is 1199 which would leave me being able to get somthing like the HEQ5pro (pushing it but I could pull that off)
I wonder if the OTA would come with rings and a mount or is that like more HUNDREDS of dollars?
What do you think?
Please be honest

Last edited by Davekyn; 21-01-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 21-01-2012, 10:18 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

I think side saddle if you are going to equatorial mount them. Currently mount both ways - I ponder does the Meg 80mm on the Celestron 9.25" SCT cause a bit of stress, whereas the 5" MAK places no strain on the SCT.

I use Losmandy D saddle bar and plates - certainly advise don't skimp for quality of the bars and don't under mount your gear!

Matthew
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0849_small.jpg)
147.7 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0848_small.jpg)
154.1 KB25 views
Old 21-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Davekyn (David)

Nice, but way over my budget. Best of luck with that.
Old 22-01-2012, 10:00 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Heq5pro is the minimum mount if you're going equatorial, preferably EQ6. You'll find that won't leave a lot of money for SCTs. You could probably buy a goto 14" dobsonian alt/az set up too (Andrews would have prices).
Old 23-01-2012, 02:58 PM
netwolf

As in the other Thread, have you considered buying used?
C8 used starbright non-XLT can be had much cheaper than the new ones. Have seen a few go here for ~600. Add a used Eq6 mount and maybe a ED80 and you have a pretty versatile kit. And you could perhaps just fit that in your budget too.

Celestron gear in Australia is way overpriced, and I would not recommend buying it.

You might also consider buying used from the US.
Old 24-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Davekyn (David)

Thanks again Rob ... Dobsonian is the key word for today ... or at least that is where I am swimming at the moment . Thanks Netwolf...that actually raises more questions for me, however that is quite a wise move in itself.

I almost went for a $1300.00 127mm apo ... North somthing, somthing ... aprox $2000.00 to your door and so on. The truth is I really don't feel that comfortable parting with such a large some of money via internet forums. Whilst this one has a VERY good reputation, I just get skidish with such things...especially if they have very little in the way of posts.

Then of course there is the trust factor...whilst we like to think everyone is honest...there is still rather a large risk factor involved. I have used the classifieds to sell and am very thankful to ,,,,, hhhmmmmmmmm, I think it was Mathew the had me chop my last 12" GSO dob at the base and send him the mirror...(that was an experience) and Jnetttt...I think....got quite a few astronomy books off me...plus there was another polite gentleman that got me ED80..............

I found dealing with all the people, very refreshing ... whilst its true that we tend to be more tolerant when making such transactions ... I did get a real sense of generosity about these folk, however ... I believe these members would rank as senior members having been here for a long time and actively involved ... I would not hesitate buying from such characters.

But alas! I have made a decision................

For better or worse, I am going back to the trusty 12" GSO Dob!
Sorry Giorgio ... That 12" inch dob you have ... imo ... is the sweet spot for our trips on the outer...most people say about 10" ... but we are fat...oops...I mean stocky lads.

I have a passion for many things, and the truth is ... as many of us know ... we never truly reach that point in which we want to stop. As for Astrophotography ... I just can't aford to do it as I like to do things ... I not long ago bought an EOS 550D which has opened a new door into Photography on another level and am happy to stick with that. I do have a universal digi cam adapter that will make for some fun with the moon ...

I could write a huge list of reasons why I have chosen to go back to the Dob ... perhaps the biggest being that I know what a wonderful instrument it truly is...............

My experience with it will also leaves me well placed to purchase the many other accessories I know that give such a boost to performance and ones enjoyment.

Have to go work in the wet toady......but will be back to post some more

Thanks again to you all.....My bipolar episodes are only set to begin.
None the less it feels good to have at least chosen the telescope.