Old 03-04-2015, 11:41 PM
Paul Haese

Another Pempro Convert

A couple of months ago I finally decided to buy Pempro to sort out the PE on the PMX and PME. Many people I know have used this programme for all the tools it has, but I just wanted to see if it could actually do PEC better than the SkyX.

Well I now know that SkyX for its PEC is just plain garbage. I had done it correctly according to their manual and applied the curve correctly but it never seemed to make any real difference to the guiding. This is what made me look again at Pempro. And; since I had installed Prempro before and had failed to take advantage of the free trial I decided it was time to buy.

Well last night I finally stopped procrastinating and go into sorting things out. All done remotely from home. I set up the run, got underway and did 8 worm cycles with a PE of 1.9" uncorrected. I then installed the new curve after analysis and did the test again. This time the PE was 0.9". So I then did some test guiding and the RA guiding could now sustain 2" sub exposures on the guiding and with some final tweaks to the guide parameters I was getting a nice flat guide graph in RA. Dec has always been great.

With that I set up a run on my next target in the RC and I began imaging at 12pm. I went to bed and woke up this morning with some of the roundest and sharpest looking stars I have seen from this scope. I am very happy I must say, and this is just another step in the tuning of this system. I wonder how much sharper my images will be now?
Old 04-04-2015, 07:14 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Welcome to the club! I've never had any luck with TSX PEC for either of my mounts no matter how hard I tried. Supposedly after I and othes complained there was a fix but it also never worked (for me). PEMpro always has worked. I think it is a Southern Hemisphere thing that SB just has not properly sorted. If the problem existed in the N.H I think there would be a storm of complaints.

Peter
Old 04-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

I love that Pempro2 ships with AP mounts. I now really enjoy the whole PEC process. Seeing the drift get lower and lower, in real time, with each mechanical turn in RA and Dec is very comforting that my PA is 'close enough'. Guiding can take care of the rest

Last edited by Logieberra; 04-04-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:34 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

+1 Love PEMpro. Got my G11 sub arc second a couple of times with it. Beautiful piece of software.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:25 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Yep, Pempro is great for correcting both PA and PE.
Geoff
Old 06-04-2015, 01:07 PM
gregbradley

Pempro is the way to go. I used Sky X PEC and I got an improvement but Pempro made a curve quite different to the Sky X one and made a much more noticeable improvement in guiding. Its a great product and very mature software.

I installed it on my PME as well and it improved that also.

We are lucky there always seems to be some genius who makes out amateur lives much easier. Ray Gralak is one of those.

Greg.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

I'm glad you've all had success with Pempro I want to say that TSX Pec has worked for me with my PME and I'm quite happy with the result. Bellow is my corrected PE curve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (corrected PE - east of meridian - PA Zero - box checked.JPG)
82.5 KB34 views
Old 07-04-2015, 12:28 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Good to know Paul. Explains why all your previous images looked so bad :-) !
Old 09-04-2015, 01:36 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Welcome to the club! I've never had any luck with TSX PEC for either of my mounts no matter how hard I tried. Supposedly after I and othes complained there was a fix but it also never worked (for me). PEMpro always has worked. I think it is a Southern Hemisphere thing that SB just has not properly sorted. If the problem existed in the N.H I think there would be a storm of complaints.

Peter
I agree. I think the software does not handle southern hemisphere at all for some reason. There is some weird error. I have put up a post on SB forum just for their information. Before I got this sorted several other guys who looked at my guide log thought I had a kinked worm. Now it just runs flat with tiny variations which are obviously seeing. So happy to have round stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Pempro is the way to go. I used Sky X PEC and I got an improvement but Pempro made a curve quite different to the Sky X one and made a much more noticeable improvement in guiding. Its a great product and very mature software.

I installed it on my PME as well and it improved that also.

We are lucky there always seems to be some genius who makes out amateur lives much easier. Ray Gralak is one of those.

Greg.
Yes the geniuses have made imaging a pleasure now.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Good to know Paul. Explains why all your previous images looked so bad :-) !
I was never happy with the star shapes Simon and being a perfectionist I wanted to see better results given the money I had expended.