Old 14-09-2020, 11:36 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Scopes for AP please

Hi,

I am looking for two scopes for AP if possible with the following requirements or conditions:

1. Cheap compared to high end, the budget is no more than $1500 for both, if necessary maybe can extend it to maximum $2000, and that is including the shipping, not including any other items such as finders or eyepieces or focuser or flattener/corrector/reducer.

2. Small sizes, so i can put both on my mount, which is rated for maximum 44-50 LB.

3. Good for LRGB too at least, not a must, narrowbanding is always nice anyway, so hopefully it has nice optics/mirrors at least.

4. Brand New

If you know something for that then let me know please, and i will use only cooled cameras [mono or OSC] no DSLR or non cooled cameras unless i want to do just a test or shooting the moon only, but for DSO i have cooled cameras and filters already.
Old 15-09-2020, 01:03 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I’ve been successfully imaging both DSO and Planetary for just over 3 years with a Canon 600D DSLR using my 6” f6 newt ( $299 AUD ) and my 8” f5 newt ( $540 AUD ) both under Bortle 8 heavy light polluted Sydney skies and Bortle 3 dark skies and have just recently progressed to a cooled OSC camera ( ZWOASI2600MC )
Depending on what FOV and detail you wish to achieve , a budget cost newtonian reflector with 6” and 8” aperture will give you satisfactory image results under varying Sky conditions at a low cost outlay

A basic newtonian reflector will definitely provide the biggest “bang for your buck” out of all the scopes and probably the most versatile all round type of scope as well

It’s not necessarily the scope that’s prime importance for imaging but the mount and camera would be top of the list for importance in DSO Astrophotography

Newtonian reflectors are simple in design and construction and require minimal maintenance if cared for. I check collimation before each imaging session which rarely changes unless I bump the scope. My mirrors are cleaned every 6 months depending on conditions.I use a Baader coma corrector to ensure my star field is free of coma across the field , it works extremely well on both scopes.

I have no experience with imaging refractors other than using them for my finder-scope and guide scope on the newt

Check out some of my images in the beginners Astrophotography section

I hope others will provide you some information on other types of scopes to give you and informative decision

Good luck
( From a newtonian astrophotographer )
Old 15-09-2020, 11:33 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
I’ve been successfully imaging both DSO and Planetary for just over 3 years with a Canon 600D DSLR using my 6” f6 newt ( $299 AUD ) and my 8” f5 newt ( $540 AUD ) both under Bortle 8 heavy light polluted Sydney skies and Bortle 3 dark skies and have just recently progressed to a cooled OSC camera ( ZWOASI2600MC )
Depending on what FOV and detail you wish to achieve , a budget cost newtonian reflector with 6” and 8” aperture will give you satisfactory image results under varying Sky conditions at a low cost outlay

A basic newtonian reflector will definitely provide the biggest “bang for your buck” out of all the scopes and probably the most versatile all round type of scope as well

It’s not necessarily the scope that’s prime importance for imaging but the mount and camera would be top of the list for importance in DSO Astrophotography

Newtonian reflectors are simple in design and construction and require minimal maintenance if cared for. I check collimation before each imaging session which rarely changes unless I bump the scope. My mirrors are cleaned every 6 months depending on conditions.I use a Baader coma corrector to ensure my star field is free of coma across the field , it works extremely well on both scopes.

I have no experience with imaging refractors other than using them for my finder-scope and guide scope on the newt

Check out some of my images in the beginners Astrophotography section

I hope others will provide you some information on other types of scopes to give you and informative decision

Good luck
( From a newtonian astrophotographer )

Hi,

Just few points to tell you or let you know:

1. I have two mono cooled cameras, the same specifications just brand name different.

2. I have 6" F/4 Newtonian bought it this year, i already have 8" F/5 Newtonian i bought it back in 2018, both are nice although i tested them like twice, maybe 8" F5 4 times i think, but i stopped as i try to modify them first and i had other things to finish first.

3. I want very very much to use two scopes with my two mono cameras, i asked around and many told me it is very difficult or not working properly for dual imaging system, i really don't know why it can't be done, i saw few did image with dual system or even three.

4. I don't have big budget, and i really want to have another 6" F/4 to do dual imaging system, but i can't trust if my mount SW AZ-EQ6 will handle two 6" F/4 Newt with accessories including coma correctors and cameras and filter wheels, if it is possible then i just stop searching around and buy the second 6" F/4, otherwise i still keep searching for two small scopes to be mounted together to use them together at the same time, i hate using one scope and one camera only per night, i wasted so much time already.

5. I am trying to choose those two scopes to be good colors and in range of 250-500mm if possible, if i buy a refractor then all people said that only expensive triplet or even expensive doublet can provide better colors, that is against my condition for cheaper affordable two scopes, Newtonian is the best here for colors i saw, but the only problem i have is my possible limit capacity payload of my mount, should i risk it with second Newt or better keep searching, or if i have to wait longer to save then i waste and miss a lot of imaging targets and imaging seasons, i have to reach decision before November at least.
Old 16-09-2020, 05:42 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

If you think 2 x 150mm newts will be close but you dont want to risk it, why not 2 x SW 130pds? They should be a fair bit lighter than the 150. Thats as long as your happy with 650mm focal length.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ref...0p-ds-ota.html
Old 16-09-2020, 07:17 AM
doppler (Rick)

Hi, your mount won't break if you load it up to max capacity, you might have problems trying to get balance in all positions though especially with 2 scopes on top, but two identical scopes should make balance easier, especially on a side by side rail. You can increase payload capacity and stability if you put the mount on a pier.

Rick
Old 16-09-2020, 08:30 AM
raymo

As Rick said, it will handle 2x6" Newts, no problem at all.
raymo
Old 17-09-2020, 05:15 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
If you think 2 x 150mm newts will be close but you dont want to risk it, why not 2 x SW 130pds? They should be a fair bit lighter than the 150. Thats as long as your happy with 650mm focal length.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ref...0p-ds-ota.html
I thought about this scope a lot as an alternative, but there are two things i keep thinking about regarding this scope:

1. Isn't going to 130mm kind of a downgrade from 200mm and 150mm? So i feel like i lose the aperture here even if i am shooting DSO, at least my 6" [150] is F/4 so it is faster and giving me a bit wider FOV at 600mm, not much difference to 650mm but it is still, so i have to think if it is a good idea or not.

2. I have big doubts about the focuser of this 130PDS, sounds it is not sturdy enough to hold the coma corrector and camera and filter wheel, can you confirm that to me so then i can decide if it will be the choice or not? And i don't like to go with another focuser for this scope and forced to drill the tube for the new focuser, this is important for me.

Beside above 2 points i don't see wrong things with 130PDS, and both will be fine on my mount i am sure, but it will be about the scope itself not the mount, and that is why i didn't decide on this Newt yet really, and i feel that if i buy 130PDS then i will be forced to buy a reducer no doubt.
Old 17-09-2020, 05:18 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
Hi, your mount won't break if you load it up to max capacity, you might have problems trying to get balance in all positions though especially with 2 scopes on top, but two identical scopes should make balance easier, especially on a side by side rail. You can increase payload capacity and stability if you put the mount on a pier.

Rick
I see, i didn't think about the pier really, i can buy one but for portable use, not permanent, there is a pier i can buy for my mount, i just didn't buy if it won't do much in portable setup, but thanks to remind me about it, i think i may go with this idea and hopefully it will help for payload and stability.
Old 17-09-2020, 05:21 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
As Rick said, it will handle 2x6" Newts, no problem at all.
raymo
Did you test that? Or you have a confirmation about it? I can buy the second 6" Newt not a problem, so i will wait to get more confirmation and assurance that it will handle it fine, mainly for tracking up to 300-600sec with guiding.