Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 18-01-2009, 03:49 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Do you do anything to your astronomical photos before printing?

I've never really been into photography, and certainly not developing/printing in any big way. I have tried to print off a couple of 10 x 8" prints at the local Harvey Norman's this weekend. Was initially disappointed a bit at the lack of impact though.

Had a fiddle with the pics today and pushed the contrast, saturation, etc a bit to the point I feel they look somewhat overdone on screen, but much happier now with the printed output under glass.

I realise there's probably no hard and fast rules, but any general comments folks?

Last edited by RobF; 18-01-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 20-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Benny L (Ben)

calibrate you monitor using a device like the i1 Display.. It will get you a bit closer to what you will get in print..

Having said that, i'd stay away from Harvey Norman, Big W print 'labs' etc and find a decent pro lab for printing..
Old 20-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny L View Post
Having said that, i'd stay away from Harvey Norman, Big W print 'labs' etc and find a decent pro lab for printing..
Ben,

Do you have any suggestions or recommendations for online printing facilities that deliver? And, are happy to do one-offs?

Regards,
Humayun
Old 20-01-2009, 08:47 PM
leon

Have to agree with Ben, guys, Harvey Norman and the like are just not into it like a photo lab would be, they are cheap because they use cheap stuff.

If you can afford it print your own, printers are pretty cheap, it is the ink that is costly, however having said that if you just use your printer for the final image, processed just how you like it and use heavy weight quality paper you will not be disappointed.

And also if you can, or know how, definitely calibrate your printer profile and monitor as suggested.

Leon
Old 20-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Benny L (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Ben,

Do you have any suggestions or recommendations for online printing facilities that deliver? And, are happy to do one-offs?

Regards,
Humayun
Hey mate,

A lot of the pro labs floating around would have some sort of ftp service for online orders.. I print my own stuff, but before that I used Nulab which is based in Melbourne.. even though I'm in Perth it was still a very quick turnaround.