Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-07-2022, 04:25 PM
Balataone (Phil)

Smile Which Telescope help?

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on this site and I would really appreciate your opinions to help guide me. I have been using binoculars to view the sky above for about 6 months now, and I want more! I have been reading every forum and discussion I could get my hands on for the same amount of time and STILL cannot make up my mind which scope(s) to buy... For a while, I thought I could get one "do all" scope but have come to realise there is no such thing. I'm not sure I want to be limited to "looking" only. I would like to have great viewing experience and perhaps put a camera on in a little while... so the setup I am considering is the Skywatcher 190 Mak newt, the Skywatcher 180 mak cass, and the Skywatcher alt az/eq 6 pro. the reason for these choices would be to cover the different FOV's and focal lengths for everything up there. Everything I have read on Maksutovs seems to say they offer "APO like" views.. Can they take a barlow/reducer? Maybe a camera could be used on both? And having the mount would allow for a "double" viewing setup with friends in alt/az mode.?? My budget would just allow for this setup, but no more I will be viewing from a roof top deck in bortle 5 skies... I hope this makes sense what Im trying to accomplish.. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I’m actually really open to any equipment that will accomplish my goal… at one point I though the Edge hd 9.25 and the 100 Ed esprit would be a good combo to “cover all”. Perhaps that should be my question to all.. what two scopes and mount works for everything??

Cheers, Phil
Old 25-07-2022, 04:50 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hi Phil,

Portability and easy of setup/break down are two very important ones.

Remember closed tubes require longer cool down times. Setting up on a roof top is going to cause you a lot of viewing issues while the roof cools down. A 9.25" closed tube on a hot roof may take a 90mins+ to cool in regards to visuals.

How is the climb and access to the roof for bulky items? What is the weight limit for carrying things up and down?

Are you open to the second hand market pricing?
Old 25-07-2022, 11:11 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Hi Phil If I was you ,I would find your local astronomy club go to one of their viewing nights and see all the scope they are using and ask a lot of question ,by the end of the night you will have an idea what to look for.
Ian
Old 26-07-2022, 08:02 AM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Both Steve and Ian make good points.
As someone who has been primarily a visual observer for many years, my advice would be to start out simple, and improve your gear as your knowledge improves. We've all been beginners at some stage, and I certainly don't consider myself a guru.
I have a Skywatcher refractor with a 600mm focal length, and it tends to be a bit of "go to" as it's simple to set up and doesn't need collimation. With an adapter, it could certainly take a camera, but I've never used it in that manner. My other 'scope is a Skywatcher Mak-Cas with an 1800mm focal length, which is great for the planets, but it takes a bit more time to set up, and needs a bit of cool down time before use.
It's very tempting (and I've been there) to see some of the fantastic equipment that others have, and what's available to purchase. No manufacturer is going to advertise any product as second best, but make sure you get what's right for you, and what you want to use the gear for. If you start out with something that's too hard to use, or takes too long to set up, it's going to end up sitting on a shelf more than it gets used.
Old 26-07-2022, 05:27 PM
Balataone (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crater101 View Post
Both Steve and Ian make good points.
As someone who has been primarily a visual observer for many years, my advice would be to start out simple, and improve your gear as your knowledge improves. We've all been beginners at some stage, and I certainly don't consider myself a guru.
I have a Skywatcher refractor with a 600mm focal length, and it tends to be a bit of "go to" as it's simple to set up and doesn't need collimation. With an adapter, it could certainly take a camera, but I've never used it in that manner. My other 'scope is a Skywatcher Mak-Cas with an 1800mm focal length, which is great for the planets, but it takes a bit more time to set up, and needs a bit of cool down time before use.
It's very tempting (and I've been there) to see some of the fantastic equipment that others have, and what's available to purchase. No manufacturer is going to advertise any product as second best, but make sure you get what's right for you, and what you want to use the gear for. If you start out with something that's too hard to use, or takes too long to set up, it's going to end up sitting on a shelf more than it gets used.
Sound advice, thank you Warren! I am a visual guy as well and have actually considered 120mm APM Binoculars, but i'm afraid to invest in those in case I want to take a picture or two. Ill be heading out to a star party soon to actually look through some different setups. Cheers, Phil
Old 26-07-2022, 05:29 PM
Balataone (Phil)

The last two star gazing nights have been cancelled due to weather... next one hopefully!!
Old 26-07-2022, 05:33 PM
Balataone (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Hi Phil,

Portability and easy of setup/break down are two very important ones.

Remember closed tubes require longer cool down times. Setting up on a roof top is going to cause you a lot of viewing issues while the roof cools down. A 9.25" closed tube on a hot roof may take a 90mins+ to cool in regards to visuals.

How is the climb and access to the roof for bulky items? What is the weight limit for carrying things up and down?

Are you open to the second hand market pricing?
Hi Steve, thanks for the words! The roof top will be rock solid with a lift and the gear will be stored there.. I was considering the 190 Mak Newt by skywatcher and the 100mm Esprit...??? This decision could take me a while.
Old 28-07-2022, 07:03 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balataone View Post
Hi Steve, thanks for the words! The roof top will be rock solid with a lift and the gear will be stored there.. I was considering the 190 Mak Newt by skywatcher and the 100mm Esprit...??? This decision could take me a while.

If I may throw one more stone into the pond...

Both of the scopes I have take different sized eyepieces, the Mak-Cas takes 2", the refractor 1.25". If you're looking at two separate scopes, perhaps consider that they will all take the same sized eyepieces. That will reduce the expenditure and the amount of gear you have. I think both of those scopes have the same sized eyepiece, but I'm not certain.

Just a thought. Good luck with it!