#1  
Old 12-05-2021, 04:52 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,907
Sh2-9

Sh2-9, also called Gum 65 by itself is a rarely imaged combination emission and reflection nebula in the Scorpius constellation, surrounding the multiple star system Sigma Scorpii. The nebula is northeast of the globular cluster, Messier 4, included here for context.

Always a tricky challenge to image this under my suburban Bortle 6/7 skies, I'm quite pleased with the outcome as I used a few of Marcus' tips including shooting a few hrs of LUM. The complimentary colours of cool Al-Niyat and warm M4 seem to balance one another nicely and the star definition in M4 itself is remarkable.

At long last, the big Tak has it's spacing perfect now, so I finally have round stars in all four corners.
Astrobin Version

I've ordered a new TOA-35 reducer to give me a wider FOV, so when that arrives, I'll be able to frame some of these larger objects with a bit more "space" to allow more breathing room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SH2-9-HaLRGB_iis.jpg)
176.1 KB131 views
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-05-2021, 05:06 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,590
Very nice work from suburbia there Andy, easier than travelling out to a dark sky (..not as much fun though ). Composition probably does look a little bit tight so the reducer would'a fixed that here but still, a cool pairing, M4 looks very..?..M4'ish , well done, an enjoyable image

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2021, 05:47 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Very nice work from suburbia there Andy, easier than travelling out to a dark sky (..not as much fun though

M4 looks very..?..M4'ish , well done, an enjoyable image

Mike
Thanks Mike, sadly both my last two trips to dark skies were clouded/rained out, so not as much fun as I hoped! (Aside from the
However, until a remote obsy one day presents itself, I remain a long standing member of the suburban LP imaging club!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2021, 06:07 PM
RichardJ (Richard)
Registered User

RichardJ is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Carlingford
Posts: 827
Beautiful image Andy.
I also belong to that club.😉

RichardJ
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13-05-2021, 05:14 AM
PKay's Avatar
PKay (Peter)
Registered User

PKay is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: DEPOT BEACH
Posts: 1,260
Looking at a wider field GUM 65, it reveals in the shape of a heart.

I guess adding Ha to the red channel helps to increase detail and add depth, as would the Lum?

Noice work Andy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13-05-2021, 07:39 AM
Robert_T's Avatar
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Robert_T is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,959
It's a powerful and highly contrasting combination of objects and features Andy. Looking at the Astrobin version is a treat. What FL will the new reducer give you? And also intrigued as to the benefit of and how you used the Lum?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13-05-2021, 08:23 AM
Ryderscope's Avatar
Ryderscope (Rodney)
Registered User

Ryderscope is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Glanmire, NSW
Posts: 1,649
Well done Andy. I can see that a lot of thought has gone into the composition and layout of the field. The Gum and Sharpless catalogues do make for a great shopping list of objects.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13-05-2021, 09:20 AM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 20,679
That cluster is very nice. You can see the central bar of stars. Nicely resolved.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13-05-2021, 11:45 AM
mswhin63's Avatar
mswhin63 (Malcolm)
Registered User

mswhin63 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Para Hills, South Australia
Posts: 3,524
Very nice Andy tried to image this combination as well, but a DSLR does not cut it. Still, I may try again. Maybe need to filter mod my camera.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13-05-2021, 12:29 PM
marc4darkskies's Avatar
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

marc4darkskies is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Quialigo, NSW
Posts: 2,945
All hail the natural colour palette!!

Lovely image Andy! The composition is perfect! The Force is with you!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13-05-2021, 02:27 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Beautiful image Andy.
I also belong to that club.��

RichardJ
Thanks Richard, it's by no means exclusive! Makes processing interesting though that's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
Looking at a wider field GUM 65, it reveals in the shape of a heart.

I guess adding Ha to the red channel helps to increase detail and add depth, as would the Lum?

Noice work Andy
Thanks Peter, Yes indeed - Ha reveals detail and gases present that would be otherwise near invisible, and the Lum helps smooths out the noise and picks up more of the fine dusty stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_T View Post
It's a powerful and highly contrasting combination of objects and features Andy. Looking at the Astrobin version is a treat. What FL will the new reducer give you? And also intrigued as to the benefit of and how you used the Lum?
Cheers Robert, the new reducer will be f5.4 @ 700mmFL. Lum helps me a lot when shooting under LP - seems to smooth out the noise, boost the overall signal and pick up feint dust. I shoot lots of short subs and then deal with the gradients in post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Well done Andy. I can see that a lot of thought has gone into the composition and layout of the field. The Gum and Sharpless catalogues do make for a great shopping list of objects.
Thanks Rodney - as you know, I'm always on the lookout for something new or overlooked. I recall seeing a post of this field a while back, guess it lodged in my memory bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That cluster is very nice. You can see the central bar of stars. Nicely resolved.
Thanks Marc, I was mindful of focusing very carefully, and dumped out any imperfect subs - that said, I'm a tad surprised and delighted with the resolution shown here, nice to finally have the Tak sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
Very nice Andy tried to image this combination as well, but a DSLR does not cut it. Still, I may try again. Maybe need to filter mod my camera.
Cheers Malcolm, There are many Ha rich regions in this area of space, and a camera mod will certainly help you show them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
All hail the natural colour palette!!

Lovely image Andy! The composition is perfect! The Force is with you!
Many thanks Sensei Marcus! I was thinking of you and some of the tips you gave me previously when processing this one.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13-05-2021, 03:17 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post


Thanks Rodney - as you know, I'm always on the lookout for something new or overlooked. I recall seeing a post of this field a while back, guess it lodged in my memory bank.
That'd be this one by Big Kev. I wanted to have a shot myself but I felt the SXVH694/AG12 field was juuust a bit too small for a good composition...

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13-05-2021, 05:02 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
That'd be this one by Big Kev. I wanted to have a shot myself but I felt the SXVH694/AG12 field was juuust a bit too small for a good composition...

Mike
Yep, that's the one - cheers Kev for the inspiration!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13-05-2021, 05:23 PM
The_bluester's Avatar
The_bluester (Paul)
Registered User

The_bluester is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kilmore, Australia
Posts: 2,975
Lovely looking field Andy. And great work to snare a natural palette image from lightpollutionsville. A great pity the sky just would not behave here at Kilmore last time around.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13-05-2021, 10:06 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Lovely looking field Andy. And great work to snare a natural palette image from lightpollutionsville. A great pity the sky just would not behave here at Kilmore last time around.
Well As the great Captain Peter Janson said, “sometimes you’re the rooster & other times the feather duster”, such as it is with the weather for trips under dark skies. But as always, we try, try again because it’s just so nice to get that view without LP!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 15-05-2021, 03:11 PM
matlud (Mathew)
Registered User

matlud is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NZ
Posts: 40
Great image Andy especially from Bortle 6/7 . Interesting that the Ha emission is a more intense rim on the upper left 🤔
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 15-05-2021, 06:00 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,907
Cheers Matthew, appreciate the kind words.

As an astrophotographer, (but not an astrophysicist) - I could suggest that perhaps Mike Berthon-Jones (Placidus) or Colin (Atmos) could add some scientific context to the Ha content present.

Cheers

Andy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 08:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement