Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 04-04-2021, 09:12 PM
DamienB (Damien)

Hey

The scope i have is: Skywatcher ED80. I have the Adaptors and it came with an extension. 3" i think they call it but its a bit less, and helps with focus.

Camera: Nikon D750

Yes, the guide cam is my next purchase. Just spreading costs a bit as i've recently laid chevron flooring and renovated a room, french doors drying atm. (I have more than one hobby and nothing is a simple hobby!)

Good to know on the 60 seconds. Im pushing it tonight with 1m 10/20 and ive noticed every 3rd-4th shot has egged stars and i wonder if it's to do with the mount moving at that point etc.

My guide stars are Acrux and Miaplacidus as you suggested.

I'd like to move on to other things too. A Pinwheel Galaxy would be nice.

Two questions:

1. Is the mechanics of these mounts known to have slipping issues? It often sounds like it slips/whirs when it moves.
2. Is there an upgrade kit to make them run smoother?

My next step is to cable USB sockets to outside next to the power point so I can run the system from the PC under my TV.

Thanks for the help so far. At least there's headway.

Damien
Old 05-04-2021, 06:44 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienB View Post
Hey

The scope i have is: Skywatcher ED80. I have the Adaptors and it came with an extension. 3" i think they call it but its a bit less, and helps with focus.

Yes, the guide cam is my next purchase. Just spreading costs a bit as i've recently laid chevron flooring and renovated a room, french doors drying atm. (I have more than one hobby and nothing is a simple hobby!)

Good to know on the 60 seconds. Im pushing it tonight with 1m 10/20 and ive noticed every 3rd-4th shot has egged stars and i wonder if it's to do with the mount moving at that point etc.

Two questions:

1. Is the mechanics of these mounts known to have slipping issues? It often sounds like it slips/whirs when it moves.

My next step is to cable USB sockets to outside next to the power point so I can run the system from the PC under my TV.

Damien
These mounts have mesh gears and worm drives and will always have a grinding sound when it slews to an object. Once your locked on to an object and start tracking it should be fairly
Im pretty sure there is no belt upgrade kit for this mount to make it smoother , quieter and run more precise with less backlash ,only it’s bigger brother the HEQ5. You still need to autoguide with any mount above the 60 sec exposure time
I would have steered you towards buying the HEQ5 as a first mount , they are the most popular mounts for beginners plus has a slightly higher payload rating than your EQ35
EQ35 payload is 10kg
HEQ5 payload is 13kg

Martin
Old 05-04-2021, 07:15 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienB View Post
Hey

Two questions:

Damien
Just check when using Miaplacidus and Acrux as your Alignment stars ( they are not guide stars ) that Miaplacidus has not past the south meridian line yet as its getting awfully close at the moment around 9pm to 10pm
1/Your 2 alignment stars MUST be on the same side of the Meridian
2/Your 2 Alignment stars MUST be brighter stars say magnitude 1.5 and brighter
3/Your 2 Alignment stars SHOULD be as close to the south Meridian line as possible ( governed by the time at night )
4/Your 2 Alignment stars SHOULD be between 30 to 50 degrees in Altitude and no wider apart ( Azimuth) than say 50 degrees, closer the better as the mount only has to move a shorter distance back and forth between the alignment stars
5/ Your 2 Alignment stars ( one Star will be your polar alignment Star ( and one of the 2 Star Alignment Stars ) which is closest to the south celestial pole and south meridian line , and the other further away

Depending on what time at night you want to Polar Align , but at the moment you could possibly use Acrux as your polar alignment Star ( and 2 star alignment Star ) and Hadar as your other 2 star alignment Star
I’m pretty sure they satisfy the above criteria ( points 1 to 5 ) for using the Synscan Polar Alignment Routine

Good luck !