Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 29-06-2012, 08:00 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

If you are not sure now where Saturn is, right now look at the Moon. Just to the left of the Moon are two bright stars. One of these is Saturn. Even a pair of binos will show the star as a pin point of light, but Saturn will actually be a largish dot. Even a magnification of 30X will show the rings!

Have a look if you haven't before,
Old 29-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker372011 View Post
Can I suggest the next thing you need to get is a good book..try Turn left at Orion , you can get it fairly cheap off the Internet

It's Northern hemisphere centric but it doesn't matter.

It will help you get along no end.
Sounds like a good idea...we basically spent the night aimlessly wandering across the Universe but like a magnet, our attention always came back to Saturn.

Certainly going to have to set ourselves some goals / targets on what to fnd over the next few weeks. I know Jupiter is high on my boy's list.
Old 29-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
If you are not sure now where Saturn is, right now look at the Moon. Just to the left of the Moon are two bright stars.
Yes, gave me a chance to test my i-Phone "Go Skywatch App". We were sitting inside having dinner and recovering from our amazing discovery of Saturn when I was showing the young fella where Saturn could be found next. Completely different spot compared to where we had seen it an hour earlier before the clouds hit.

We ventured back outside and were very surprised to see the clouds had gone, the Moon had moved....and sure enough, there were those same two bright stars you had mentioned alongside the Moon.
Old 29-06-2012, 08:36 PM
sparrow_34 (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest_Gaza View Post
Sounds like a good idea...we basically spent the night aimlessly wandering across the Universe but like a magnet, our attention always came back to Saturn.

Certainly going to have to set ourselves some goals / targets on what to fnd over the next few weeks. I know Jupiter is high on my boy's list.
From Skytools3 Visual Synopsis:
On this night Jupiter is best visible between 05:03 and 06:13, with the optimum view at 05:46. Look for it in Taurus, low in the northeastern sky during morning twilight. It is obvious visually in the 10" DOB. It is magnitude -2 with a diameter of 34".

Look for the Great Red Spot appearing on the eastern limb at about 05:11.

In the following 30 days this object is obvious visually from June 29 on, with the best view coming on July 28. During this period it will brighten slowly, slowly move higher in the sky and slowly grow.

On December 3, 2012 it will be at opposition (when it will be best observed) at magnitude -2.8 and subtending 48"x 45"

On June 20, 2013 this planet will be in conjunction with the Sun, when it will pass behind the solar disk.

Cheers
Old 30-06-2012, 04:13 AM
stephenb (Stephen)

A belated welcome to you Garry and great choice of scope too.

Sounds like you have the bug Like many of us, you'll be talking about that first memorable view of Saturn for many years to come.

Download Sellarium (stellarium.org) if you haven't done so yet. Great planetarium program - and free!

Stephen.
Old 30-06-2012, 09:06 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Quote:
Yes, gave me a chance to test my i-Phone "Go Skywatch App". We were sitting inside having dinner and recovering from our amazing discovery of Saturn when I was showing the young fella where Saturn could be found next. Completely different spot compared to where we had seen it an hour earlier before the clouds hit.

We ventured back outside and were very surprised to see the clouds had gone, the Moon had moved....and sure enough, there were those same two bright stars you had mentioned alongside the Moon.
Hi Gaza , did you notice any improvement in the view after the 1 hour ?
I was just wondering as the optics would have settled to the outside temperature by then .
But thats another story , you and your family carry on enjoying the views , as there is plenty more .
Brian.
Old 30-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Hi Gaza , did you notice any improvement in the view after the 1 hour ?
I was just wondering as the optics would have settled to the outside temperature by then .
But thats another story , you and your family carry on enjoying the views , as there is plenty more .
Brian.
I probably introduced too many variables throughout the evening to have a valid reference point for commenting on viewing quality.

Having read a number of threads over the last week, I made sure the scope was sitting outside from about 4:30pm to get accustomed to the temperatures. I also kept running inside to post updates and seek further advice....which obviously would have played havoc with my "night vision".

My biggest "mistake" was continually swapping the eyepieces to see what differences they made without really understanding why....so some research to be done there.

We had to call it a halt when we both started getting sore eyes from squinting the non-viewing eye.....might invest in a Pirate's outfit to solve that problem
Old 30-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenb View Post
A belated welcome to you Garry and great choice of scope too.

Sounds like you have the bug Like many of us, you'll be talking about that first memorable view of Saturn for many years to come.

Download Sellarium (stellarium.org) if you haven't done so yet. Great planetarium program - and free!

Stephen.
Thanks for the tip....also had a quick look at the Skytool that Sparrow referred to (bit too pricey at this stage).
Old 30-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Varangian (John)

Quote:
I probably introduced too many variables throughout the evening to have a valid reference point for commenting on viewing quality.

Having read a number of threads over the last week, I made sure the scope was sitting outside from about 4:30pm to get accustomed to the temperatures. I also kept running inside to post updates and seek further advice....which obviously would have played havoc with my "night vision".

My biggest "mistake" was continually swapping the eyepieces to see what differences they made without really understanding why....so some research to be done there.

We had to call it a halt when we both started getting sore eyes from squinting the non-viewing eye.....might invest in a Pirate's outfit to solve that problem

G'day Gary, flying through your eyepieces is all part of it, you can get heaps of advice on eps but they are very personal (I mean brands as well size) and require a good deal of looking through before you find what's best for you. When you get to it, I recommend a good wide field 26mm up to 40mm for the 10" dob, as well as a good 6-10mm for planetary viewing. The brands and quality as always depend on the coin. You probably knew all of this already having read the threads for the past few weeks
Old 30-06-2012, 10:57 AM

Gaza I have a 26mm wide field for sale in the classifieds if youy are interested ?
brian.
Old 30-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

The scope came with 6, 9, 15, and 25mm Eyepieces (GSO Plossil) so they should keep us busy for a while and I also purchased a x 2.5 Barlow, ND Filter and Laser Collimator.

Apart from adding some wheels to the mounting base, I think further accessories will be put on hold....except maybe some more filters and some more anything else that crops up

(I'm sure this has already cost me some high heel shoes in various colours)
Old 30-06-2012, 12:11 PM
silv (Annette)

hey!

it's so great to read about your excitement and your son's, too!!
thanks for sharing!

and there I was, yesterday, for hours fighting fiercely with aligning my GoTo mount,
while all along I could have had my first sight of glorious Saturn, as well!
I saw it up there - but mentally retarded as I am, I did not decide to focus in on it... grrrrrr!

Awesome to read from someone who did the right thing! yay!
Old 30-06-2012, 12:15 PM
silv (Annette)

Quote:
(I'm sure this has already cost me some high heel shoes in various colours)
you are a very open minded guy! good on you!

Old 30-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
you are a very open minded guy! good on you!

Hell yes....I'll even let the Wife use them
Old 30-06-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Hell yes....I'll even let the Wife use them
the black and white ones will match your new scope very nicely , just the accesory for those long dark observing nights ...
Good onya Gaz , keeping the peace , nice to see.
Brian.
Old 30-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

Just completed my first mod. Added 3 x Rubber Swivel Brake Castors to the base of the mount.

Should beat the hell out of dragging the scope across the concrete when changing viewing positions in the backyard. Hopefully the castor locking mechanisms will hold the scope steady...if not, removal of some screws and I'm back where I started.
Old 30-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

Quote:
the black and white ones will match your new scope very nicely , just the accesory for those long dark observing nights ...
Good onya Gaz , keeping the peace , nice to see.
Brian.
The only problem is that they will make me even taller and force me to bend my back even more to view through the scope
Old 30-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Just completed my first mod. Added 3 x Rubber Swivel Brake Castors to the base of the mount.

Should beat the hell out of dragging the scope across the concrete when changing viewing positions in the backyard. Hopefully the castor locking mechanisms will hold the scope steady...if not, removal of some screws and I'm back where I started.
Na mate they will de fine , by the way what diameter casters did you use ?
Brian
Old 30-06-2012, 02:31 PM

The casters will compensate nicely , a win , win I think ?
Brian.
Quote:
The only problem is that they will make me even taller and force me to bend my back even more to view through the scope
Old 30-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

Quote:
Na mate they will de fine , by the way what diameter casters did you use ?
Brian
50mm Diameter rated at 40kg each (8G 20mm screws)