Old 05-08-2009, 11:58 AM
koputai (Jason)

Orion Starshoot Autoguider, as imager?

Hi folks,
As the title says, can the Orion Starshoot Autoguider be used as an imager? If so, how does it rate?
I'm planning on getting into imaging, and want to get something smaller and less daunting (and cheaper!) to start off with. And if I can then use the that first camera as a guider when I get a better main camera, then that would be great.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:13 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

It should take OK lunar and planetary pics...it has the resolution and frame rate to do so. I wouldn't be using it on DSO's though, unless they're the bigger and brighter ones. You could try though.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Gama

Im not sure if the Starshoot guider has imaging software.
I think its only guiding software/drivers. Someone that owns one can clarify this.

But you can buy a lincense key from Astrosoft (Software/drivers programmer for both cameras) to allow you to run the QHY-5 suite of software which has imaging/streaming video software.

The Starshoot autoguider and the QHY-5 are the same camera, but the Starshoot guider has different firmware for lincensing reasons. This is why you need a key to open other imaging software.

They both do a great job guiding, and imaging is not their strongest point, although you can get great results.

Theo
Old 05-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by koputai View Post
Hi folks,
As the title says, can the Orion Starshoot Autoguider be used as an imager? If so, how does it rate?
I'm planning on getting into imaging, and want to get something smaller and less daunting (and cheaper!) to start off with. And if I can then use the that first camera as a guider when I get a better main camera, then that would be great.

Cheers,
Jason.
The name says it all. It's an autoguider, not an imager. From my experience I expect it will be quite noisy as an imager. It's also monochrome, so you'll have to organise filters if you want colour. Not sure what software (if any) will allow you to capture images.
Geoff
Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 PM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

I have used the autoguider as an imager by mistake when I was using 2 orion cameras. For software I used maxim dl elements, I'm not sure if its supported by the full version though.

Brett
Old 19-08-2009, 12:11 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gama View Post
Im not sure if the Starshoot guider has imaging software.
I think its only guiding software/drivers. Someone that owns one can clarify this.

But you can buy a lincense key from Astrosoft (Software/drivers programmer for both cameras) to allow you to run the QHY-5 suite of software which has imaging/streaming video software.

The Starshoot autoguider and the QHY-5 are the same camera, but the Starshoot guider has different firmware for lincensing reasons. This is why you need a key to open other imaging software.

They both do a great job guiding, and imaging is not their strongest point, although you can get great results.

Theo
Hi Theo

this looks like what I am after. I have the Orion camera and need to take a few pictures for an assignment I have. I'd rather not shell out for another camera at this stage.

Where can I purchase the software key? And what's the best place to download the capture software?

Do you know if the Astrosoft divers will overwrite the Orion drivers?

Thanks - I am sure the QHY-8 will succeed in luring me to another purchase eventually but its a bit hard to justify at the moment.

Pete
Old 20-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Gama

Go here http://www.astrosoft.be/ , and read the 2nd last heading and text on the bottom page.
Its for the Orion Starshoot autoguider.

Theo
Old 20-08-2009, 06:57 AM
pvelez (Pete)

Thanks Theo

I was struggling to find that page

Pete