ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-05-2008, 11:26 AM
bdos

Hi all! Im desperate for help!!

Hi everyone.

Im not sure if ive posted this in the right section but im a real beginner so here it is!

I was really hoping someone could help me with a little ‘project’ im working on.

Quite a few years ago my brother passed away and some family friends gave our family a gift which was naming a star after my brother through the “international star registry” (disclaimer: im not sure if this international star registry is a bit of a scam?? Is it? either way – it doesn’t really affect my project)

What id like to do is have this tattooed on my arm and was hoping you guys could help me design it.

the star is part of the southern cross (Crux?) constellation. I want to get a small tattoo of the southern cross on my arm with some kind of astronomy symbols or markings which in effect, point to, or explain somehow, where my brothers star is in relation to the southern cross.

Does this make sense?? Is it possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated even if its just pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers!!!
Old 14-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hi Bdos,

Very nice idea by the way!

I have attached a screenshot of the constellation of Crux from a free program called Stellarium 0.9.0 and this has a very nice constellation art depicting the southern cross which may be suitable for a tattoo?

If you download the program and click on the stars around Crux's constellation, you should be able to identify which one is your brother's star and then perhaps mark it on the picture and take it in to the parlour.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (crux.JPG)
85.7 KB52 views
Old 14-05-2008, 11:58 AM
bdos

excellent! thanks Screwdriverone!

One question - after finding the location of my brothers star and therefore determining where to place in relation to the southern cross - are there any special astronomy symbols or arrows or anything like that that depict direction / distance etc??

I think id like the tattoo to resemble a "map" of sorts if its at all possible?
Old 14-05-2008, 12:06 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Hey Chris, take another screenshot with the equatorial grid turned on and see how he likes that
Old 14-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)

Here ya go, Programmer's request to turn on the EQ grid.

What's the name of the star, if you don't mind me asking? Maybe we can pinpoint it for you.

As for symbols, most of these on the star charts are all the ones I can think of. Have a look at this PDF of a free one down the bottom right of the round circle star chart for symbols we use to pinpoint certain objects.

PS. if you get a forbidden access error on the PDF link, click in the address line and then press enter and it should then work OK.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (crux2.JPG)
121.0 KB52 views

Last edited by Screwdriverone; 14-05-2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: checked the link
Old 14-05-2008, 12:25 PM
bdos

firstly - i really appreciate the help. thanks!!

well im still trying to get the exactly coordinates of the star. I should have those by the end of the day - just waiting on a family member to confirm! as soon as i have these ill post for you.

the name of the star with the international star registry (ie: my brothers name) is xxx - is that what youre after?

I dont mind the idea of the EQ grid but think it will look a tad messy designed as a tattoo.

i actually really like some of those strange symbol type things on the star chart. is it possible to incorporate these into the design to express the location of Crux or the star or anything? eg: the little circles with numbers etc?

again - thanks so much for the help!

Last edited by bdos; 14-05-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 14-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)

I think the coordinates is all we need.

You may want to edit the post and remove his full name if you are worried about privacy etc.

I think you could add anything you want to the final design, most tattoo artists I think are pretty good sketch artists and if you have the basic constellation design with the art from Stellarium, they should be able to "elaborate" on the design on paper first and then take the plunge when you are happy with it.

When all is said and done, it would be great for you to post a final pic of the tattoo on IIS so we can all have a look!

Chris
Old 14-05-2008, 12:41 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

i think the coordinates superimposed over the crux would suit the purpose. and prolly look ok... but i guess you would have to see a mockup.

BOL
Old 14-05-2008, 12:45 PM
bdos

ahhh ok...

i like the idea of the coordinates superimposed over the Crux too!!

Great, well ill get my hands on the coordinates and post them up as soon as i can! Most likely sometime this afternoon.

And Screwdriver - ill certainly post the pic up for all you guys to see!!
Old 14-05-2008, 02:14 PM
bdos

ok so ive got the coordinates:

Crux RA 12h 13m 09.00s D-57 50' 19.43"

Does this sound right? Is anyone able to help me locate this?? ive tried using the Stellarium program but im really struggling to figure the thing out!!!

Thanks!!!
Old 14-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Closest I can find is this:

Star
TYC8640-00648-1
Magnitude Tycho BT: 12.85
Magnitude Tycho VT: 11.81
Visual Magnitude: 11.72
Color Index: 0.88
Annual Proper Motion: -0.010 -0.003

J2000 RA: 12h13m03.44s DE:-57°47'07.3"
Date RA: 12h13m30.20s DE:-57°49'54.7"
Old 14-05-2008, 03:00 PM
bdos

cheers starkler,

any idea how i find where this star is on a star chart or with Stellarium or Google Earth or something like that?
Old 14-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Galactic G (Greg)
Space is big. Really big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdos View Post
cheers starkler,

any idea how i find where this star is on a star chart or with Stellarium or Google Earth or something like that?
I was having a play with the "Microsoft WorldWide Telescope" software. http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/

I noticed you could put RA/Dec co-ords in directly. When I did this with the co-ords you gave us it shows a star in Crux.

I've attached a close up and also the general area of the star with reference to the whole of the Crux.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (12h13.JPG)
21.8 KB33 views
61.2 KB40 views
Old 14-05-2008, 03:36 PM
bdos

Thanks Galactic.

When entering RA and Dec coords into the worldwide telescope what format do i use?

is it RA = 12h13m09s ??

and Dec = -57 50' 19.43" ??
Old 14-05-2008, 03:39 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Hi bdos,

I don't have the Tycho catalogue installed so the star doesn't show in this view, but the red 'x' marks the coordinate position you provided.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Crux.gif)
5.8 KB47 views
Old 14-05-2008, 03:43 PM
bdos

cheers mr B and thanks everyone who has helped me find where this star is located!!!

now i suppose i need to think up a design for the tattoo...

any ideas or suggestions you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 14-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Galactic G (Greg)
Space is big. Really big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdos View Post
Thanks Galactic.

When entering RA and Dec coords into the worldwide telescope what format do i use?

is it RA = 12h13m09s ??

and Dec = -57 50' 19.43" ??

Yep, thats the format. I just cut and paste them as they were in your post.

Last edited by Galactic G; 14-05-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 14-05-2008, 09:39 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Just as an idea, you could go with a design of Crux as in the image from Stellarium but show your star as having brightened - an addition to the constellation if you like, maybe add the coords I dunno
Attached Thumbnails
45.2 KB29 views
Old 14-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

Just a personal opinion - The trick with this is to create an effective tattoo, so if you go with an actual "stellar" image, ie white stars on a black background, the effect could be a bit subdued. Maybe go for a fully inked background in a light blue with the major stars inked in as 6 pointed objects as on the Australian flag. The stars could be yellow and your brother's star could be his favorite colour or the colour of his car or something. The actual co ordinates could be inked in at the bottom in fancy scroll work. Talk to the bloke with the ink gun; most of them are pretty good at coming up with a concept to suit you if you give them a bit of information.
Really looking forward to seeing an image of the tatt. It's a brilliant concept and I know you'll wear it with pride. Cheers
Old 14-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi bdos, I have a few tatts and the best advice I can give is to check out all the tattoist's. some are very good and some are total c**p. Make sure they have single use needles and full autoclave sterilisation.

Most of all the good ones can do anything on skin so think outside the square when it comes to designs and they don't hurt as bad as people say.

Cheers