Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-05-2008, 02:28 PM
astroAJ
Deep Sky King

I once purchased a celestron GOTO scope (NexStar 80 SLT) caused me so many problems. I returned it to the shop twice; anyway I returned it for the final time, best thing i ever did .
I ended up purchasing an 8” sky watcher Dob which has been great.

All the best with finding the problems with your scopes.
Old 18-05-2008, 07:12 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Psyche101,
What type of alignment are you doing, I found I had the best success with the 2 star alignment. (in Alt/Az mode, not EQ). I also bought a cheap line level from the hardware ( about $2-3). I had the ota horizontal point N check with line level & compass, didn't worry about magnetic variation. I started alignment & had no troubles. I ue a high power ep to get a better goto on the stars. I also had the right lat/long set but I found the auto align slower & not as accurate. believe you can also start with the ota pointed S, for this alignment
Old 18-05-2008, 10:56 PM
wmzaphod
Optically Obsessed

Hi Guys, long time watcher - short time poster here.....

I recently bought a Celestron EQ5 mount and had all sorts of probs getting it to find stars (initial alignment seemed to work ok tho). After many frustrating nights, I re-read the manual for the 10th time and realised the date had to be set in US format (MMDDYY)

Embarrassed I was..... works great now.

Also, although the time displays and works correctly (in one of the menus), if I go back to scope align, it displays the "Last" time I entered (when I powered it on and aligned it)?????

Cheers,

Peter

Last edited by wmzaphod; 21-05-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 21-05-2008, 02:52 PM
psyche101
Watcher

Thank You Dannat
As you suspected, the three star auto align. I shall try the 2 star alignment. Thanks for the tip!
ota - sorry for the newbie question, this has me somewhat confused, this is basically the tube/telescope right? As the whole setup swivels, I was rather confused as to where the "start" position is, I take it it is the position that tube is sitting in when you flick the on switch?
Last attempt it seemed very close, only a few millimeters out, but with the tiny objects we are centering in on, that seems quite a distance, and as pointless as no goto? I will try one of those line compasses too, I am using a small straight one, about 20cm long. I am hoping that is the only problem.