ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-06-2005, 10:58 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ramsies
Aww you guys are going to make me save up for an 8" aint you

Oh well I guess I should get the Guan Sheng GS-680-LTD $399.00 ( 8" I think? )

I'm in Maroubra, eastern suburbs.
true fact ,do save up and get it you won't be sorry. But most of these guys on Ice in Space are past it and have been around for a while. Age , experience and aperture fever will grip you like there is no tommorrow. Seek out a local Astro society and attend a viewing night, and sus out what they have while you save.
Old 17-06-2005, 11:00 PM
h0ughy (David)

and I forgot to add,

Seek out a wife like Greg's, why she is a lucky lady to have a bloke like him Not that I am Jealous, given the chance my wife would like to put the axe through my scope.
Old 17-06-2005, 11:07 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Old 17-06-2005, 11:12 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Watch these Dob guys Coach. They'll have you building an observatory before you've built a house . Many of us started out with scopes as small as 75mm aperture. My first scope was only 60mm, got it for xmas when I was about 12 (I'm now nearly 45). It blew of the verandah about 2 years ago, yes I still used it.

I then bought a good 100mm scope, I was out using it tonight. Even though it was really moony I still saw heaps. Why? 'cause I was looking for what I new I could find in a scope this size on a moonlite night like tonight. Yes aperture rules. The bigger your aperture the more you can see. But that doesn't mean you can't find hundreds if not thousands of interesting objects to find and look at in a smaller scope. In fact sometimes a small aperture and shorterscope is better if your trying to look at really big things like cluster and large nebula. Some of these things are so big you cut out some of it with big aperture scopes. That's why these guys spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars just on eyepieces, widefield eyepieces. So they can see a wider field with their big aperture.

If you're keen to learn and find your way around the stars then just about any scope will do. What the others have said is all true. Beware of cheap scopes, Especially at auction sites, department stores etc. Just because a scope there is selling for $250-$300 doesn't necessarily mean its a good scope either. You've started by doing the right thing and coming to a site like this and asking the right questions.

If your keen to get started then the 6" Dob will be a fantastic scope (besides it'll be alot lighter to move around too). If you're prepared to wait a bit and save then definately go for a bigger scope. Remember though the scope is only a part of the system. Eyepieces are also an important factor to consider. You don't want to spend all your money to get the biggest scope you can afford and only have one eyepiece to use.

have a chat with your folks maybe one of them would be interested in joining you in this hobby. That way you can share the costs Oh and see if you can keep enough money to get a good star atlas, though a planisphere will get you started.

Good luck
Old 18-06-2005, 12:06 AM
acropolite (Phil)

I agree with Paul, I started by fishing out an old Bushnell spotting scope (25x mag 60mm) that I had. The views of the moon were fantastic and I could see jupiters four moons as well as Saturns rings and general shape. The problem is that the more you see the more you want to see; hence the term aperture fever.
Old 18-06-2005, 07:56 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Coach

Follow Rajah's sage advice - find a local club and attend one of their field nights so you can get to see different objects (stars, planets, galaxies, clusters) through various 'scopes, and how each 'scope is different in terms of set up, transportability, etc.

Welcome to the hobby and the site, I hope you enjoy both as much as we all do.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 18-06-2005, 07:57 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

A 6" dob for $299 is your best bet - also you're not far from the central coast - I highly recommend that you make your way up for our central coast observing sessions. You'll get to see through LOTS of telescopes, both small and large. And it'll give you something to look forward to while you're saving up.

btw where did you hear about IceInSpace?
Old 18-06-2005, 09:51 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Lots of good advice already dished out so I will stick with the standard quote that I have not read in the post yet...

The best scope for you is the one that you will use...small or large does not matter so much as how often you are going to use it.

A well made smaller scope that you use all of the time will bring you lots of enjoyment...don't forget that most of the scopes used by the early pioneers of Astronomy would be considered small and poorly made today and think about all of the wonders that they discovered...there are lots and lots and lots of things that you can see and explore in a small scope...

Do seek out a group of scope owners and look through their scopes before you buy anything...you may find that what you really want to see is different than what you think you want to see now...

Saving for a bigger scope is a fine thing but even with a bigger scope, we all get "apertue fever" anyway...so look through some scopes and get stuck into it...from your post I gather that you are still young enough to have many years of scope ownership ahead of you if you decide to stay with it...you can always "upsize" after you have had a bit more experience...

Cheers
Old 18-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Another vote for the 6 inch GSO dob.

You said you had $150 as a budget. Is that because thats all you have, or is it what you consider its worth spending on a scope? If you do have saving ability it is worth comming up with the extra $250 for the 8 inch which could keep you happy for many years. On the other hand, if you cant save quickly, having a scope is better than no scope at all and the 6 incher is the cheapest scope you will find of good useable quality.
You are fortunate to have a choice to have this quality available at such a price. This choice wasnt available 10 years ago. Now back when I was a lad .........
Old 18-06-2005, 11:10 AM
slice of heaven

Here we go, knocking the 6" again. A 6" has always been recommended as a good sized starter scope until now because of the availability of cheaper scopes.
If your on a limited budget there's nothing wrong with grabbing a 6".
If your going to save for an 8, then you may as well save for a 10, or a 12.
If you can scrape enough to get the gs 6" dob, youll be happy with the views.Its light,easy to use, I think it's an F8 which has a lot of benefits ,ep choices arent as critical and youll get good views of the moon and planets. Any accessories you buy can be used later on if you upgrade to a larger scope.
But try and get together with a group and check out your options first.
Old 18-06-2005, 07:43 PM
cahullian
Hapkido = Pain

The lad only has $150.00 to play with so a cheap ebay scope might have to do him for a while. Ving started with a scope for about $80.00 and that got him hooked for life.He could get a small cheap scope and still have a few bob left over to get saving for the 8" Dob we all know he wants : ) I started with binoculars and they kept me happy for over a year and you can also use them for the footy and the cricket.

Last edited by cahullian; 18-06-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 18-06-2005, 07:49 PM
slice of heaven

But the cheap ebay scope will give him crap views and maybe put him off for life.
Old 18-06-2005, 07:52 PM
cahullian
Hapkido = Pain

thats why the binos are the best buy for now i think.
Old 18-06-2005, 07:58 PM
cahullian
Hapkido = Pain

Also with the Dobs there is the Cheshire to get,stablise the base (milk bottles to buy),barlow x2,trolly to help move it around.... for $150.00 it's not going to happen
Old 18-06-2005, 08:31 PM
cahullian
Hapkido = Pain

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....522483916&rd=1 This scope might be alright for a starter pick up in SE sydney would suit too
Old 18-06-2005, 08:31 PM
slice of heaven

Your right for the $$$ your probably limited to a good set of binos.
Shame they havent brought out a 4" dob for under $200 to cover the entry market.
You dont HAVE to have the trolley,barlow and all the goodies straight away. I'm still lugging my scopes out by hand,and after 10 years I've only just bought a couple of barlows. Getting the most out of what you have is more important.
Old 18-06-2005, 08:41 PM
slice of heaven

If you could pick it up for the current price it'd be great,but watch the price jump when it gets close to the end.
Old 18-06-2005, 08:45 PM
atalas

Hey guy's I've PM Coach to help him with his first scope purchase,I'm a sucker for sob stories! a kid without a telescope not good ,me help,me fix!

Big Louie
Old 18-06-2005, 09:01 PM
slice of heaven

Your an absolute LEGEND.
St Louie, IIS patron saint for scopeless kids.
Old 18-06-2005, 09:11 PM
atalas

Yeah slice,I'm getting closer to judgment day have to do something good before the time comes ! hehehe

You know I was thinking could be one kid that doesnt stray from boredom,and maybe a new career path who knows! Ive been lucky with my kids,I wish all kids luck !

Big Louie