Old 16-03-2019, 12:12 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Setting up first time.

I still forget to make sure I have covered some of these points☺ (and pay a high price☺) but if starting make these a good habit.

Positioning tripod.
Make sure the ground is firm..real firm. I place down paver bricks but you must make sure they wont move even if that means triming the grass with a knife and hitting the ground with a sledge hammer☺.

Make sure the tripod is level...dead level ..use the bubble on the mount but better to use a decent spirit level...some say a phone app is ok but personally I prefer a dedicated spirit level.

I level the tripod before adding the mount and check again when I have added the mount...and yet again when all the gear has been placed on the mount and again after everything has been balanced.

And I often check during the night just in case something has moved a little.

Make sure you know where South is and treat a compass as only the start of the process.

If you have a dslr camera and can sit it on your set up take a long exposure to see the point that the stars circle...which is your Celestial South Pole...If you make sure the camera is in sync with the polar scope (during the day) you can get a pretty good polar alignment for visual and even for photos it will get you real close.

Balance everything and check all screws bolts etc are tight...particularly the tripod legs as you can easy overlook one when adjusting the level...also as temp changes things can go off.

If possible do as much as possible in the day time.

Also make a silver cover for the gear to keep it all dry and cool.

There is more but the basics are...Find South, level and check the level when all is set up, and balance everything.

Also make sure your finder scope is looking at what your main scope sees as you dont want to be doing this in the dark.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20190316_132123-1.jpg)
202.4 KB59 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 16-03-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 16-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Alex, the level of the tripod doesn't matter at all. Should save you a lot of headache
Old 16-03-2019, 12:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lognic04 View Post
Alex, the level of the tripod doesn't matter at all. Should save you a lot of headache
Why do you say that Logan?
Thinking about it I can see perhaps why...I guess so long as polar is correct it wont matter...anyways perhaps explain your thoughts for the audience☺.
Alex
Old 18-03-2019, 03:01 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I'd Add to the list: "Level and level again accurately.
Old 18-03-2019, 03:39 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lognic04 View Post
Exactly..

And Alex, you are right - only alignment matters.

However... if you are packing the mount after night and setting up again - what matters is you can place the whole thing in the same position again.
You will be off a bit, but not much if your tripod is sitting in some sort of concrete pads that are stable enough.
Old 18-03-2019, 06:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
I'd Add to the list: "Level and level again accurately.
I agree.
They would not put that bubble on the mount for no reason.☺

Alex
Old 18-03-2019, 06:03 PM
Wavytone

Not entirely true - it does if it’s a SynScan handset in altaz mode, makes a huge difference to the subsequent accuracy. You may think it’s fine with shorter scopes, but with a 3m focal length the errors on GOTOs are obvious.

Not sure what algorithm SynScan uses but one thing is clear - it’s not using the “the equivalent to that used by AstroDevices Nexus DSC or SkySafari, both of which utilise the “surveyors equation” and get it right.
Old 18-03-2019, 06:09 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Exactly..

And Alex, you are right - only alignment matters.

However... if you are packing the mount after night and setting up again - what matters is you can place the whole thing in the same position again.
You will be off a bit, but not much if your tripod is sitting in some sort of concrete pads that are stable enough.
I leave it set up when up North for the time I am there...I guess I just enjoy getting the little things right even if they dont count...but so many folk say...get it level ... there must be some virtue in getting it level...thinking about it it is a good way to note if the mount has moved..ie if you notice the bubble is off that means you need to start over...
I just walked in the door in Sydney..this driving is getting me down but the loading and unloading is forcing me to keep moving☺.
Alex
Old 18-03-2019, 06:40 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I leave it set up when up North for the time I am there...I guess I just enjoy getting the little things right even if they dont count...but so many folk say...get it level ... there must be some virtue in getting it level...thinking about it it is a good way to note if the mount has moved..ie if you notice the bubble is off that means you need to start over...
I just walked in the door in Sydney..this driving is getting me down but the loading and unloading is forcing me to keep moving☺.
Alex
Alex,

level is a reference - if it is set correctly first time, then the next time you just level it again with bubble (by placing wedge(s) below tripod legs) and adjust azimuth with compass.
Then you will be close enough to pole for finer adjustment by polar scope.. or software routine.
Old 18-03-2019, 07:24 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Had a nap need another.
I can nail csp pretty good by eye and usually do a star trail circle to get real close then I get the area on screen to use polemaster.
All good.
I am going to nuke a pie and hit the sack.
Alex