Old 26-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Mick1 (Mick)
Mick

EQ alignment

I've assembled my new scope on a skywatcher eq3 mount as per instructions, the tripod has a dowel on it that prevents the mount from rotating 360 degrees in azimuth, but will allow fine adjustment with the azimuth adjusting screws (the dowel on the tripod is between the adjusting screws on the bottom of the mount)I'm pretty sure I've put it together correctly. This has thrown me a bit because other EQ mounts I've seen don't seem have this arrangement because they can turn through 360deg in azimuth, I'm thinking it has to be right because I cant see any other way it can go.
Does anyone else have the same mount? if so, have I got it together right?
Also is there a simple and straight forward you tube vid or some other resource available on how to set up an EQ mount in the southern hemisphere, or is there an app that maybe of some assistance in finding CSP?
And yes, it is overcast and daytime.
Old 26-12-2017, 04:16 PM
kens (Ken)

An EQ mount is not supposed to rotate in azimuth except for the small corrections needed for polar alignment. So you have assembled it correctly from the sounds of it.
There are many videos on how to set it up but in a nutshell:
Get a compass and a straight edge
Find out your magnetic declination (its 12.4 degrees East for Newcastle)
Lay the straightedge on the ground and align it East-west using the compass. Take into account magnetic declination so true east is 90+declination or 102.4 degrees
Line up two legs of the tripod along the straight edge so the dowel is pointing South
Level the mount (not absolutely essential but it makes things easier)
Adjust the altitude of the mount to your latitude (32.9 deg south for Newcastle). The markings on the mount are often not very accurate so if you have an inclinometer use that. The angle of the mount from horizontal is the same as your latitude
Adjust the azimuth scews to be roughly symmetrical
That should get you near enough for visual use. Finer tuning is another set of lessons that require using the polar scope. But that is an exercise in masochism in the southern hemisphere.
Old 26-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Malcolm

There are four axis on the mount head. Azimuth, Latitude, Declination and Right Ascension. One of your tripod legs may be marked N, the degrees on the az scale should be zero at that point. Point that leg North and allow for the magnetic deviation of 11.5 degrees East. Use a compass. Lock the azimuth, the head should now be pointing to true South with the degrees showing 180. The counter-weight is now pointing South. Adjust the angle of the latitude scale to your location which is 32.7350° S. Lock it. If the scope is directly above the head the dec scale should be at 90. That is the starting position. Now move the scope only with the two remaining free axis (Declination and Right Ascension) by loosening their locking knobs. The RA axis is the axis that will follow the rotation of the Earth to keep objects in view if the Polar alignment is done correctly. Once you have leveled your tripod head and fine tuned its polar position mark the spot for future use. It is difficult as there is no actual Southern Pole Star, closest is Octans which is faint and not easy to find. Hopefully I've got this info right for you, and yes, those damn clouds. :-)
Here's a link: http://www.ozscopes.com.au/How-to-Po...ern-Hemisphere
Old 26-12-2017, 06:18 PM
Mick1 (Mick)
Mick

Malcom and Ken,
Thanks for you instructions I feel a bit more relaxed about this now.
Indeed one of the tripod legs does have North marked on it and I was figuring on lining that up to true South. So if I line up the leg marked North to true South and line up the EQ head (Azimuth axis at this point)so the counter weight rod is in the centre of the south facing tripod leg( the telescope will now be pointing south) adjust the ALT axis to a latitude of 32.9 degrees then I should be at the starting point and only fine adjustments will be needed. Assuming Declination and right ascension are at 90 degrees.
I'm thinking I've got my head round it now, thanks very much gents for your guidance.
Old 26-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Malcolm

That is correct. Prediction: Soon you'll be wanting a GOTO EQ mount for your telescope, and the list goes on lol. :-) Enjoy, and Clear Skies!
Old 27-12-2017, 05:27 AM
Mick1 (Mick)
Mick

Well Malcom,
Funny you should mention that, because when I unboxed the mount on Monday morning there were no slow motion controls, so I've been thinking, do I get a set of motors or just bite the bullet and get the goto upgrade for an EQ3 on easypay and forget about the slow motion controls.
Anyway we had a little bit of clear sky last night, so I when outside with it and had a peek at the moon........wow! what a view I wish I had a camera adaptor or smart phone adaptor. The only down side were the mozzies.
Old 27-12-2017, 06:26 AM
Malcolm

Mick, sent you a pm.
Old 27-12-2017, 09:54 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

The Skywatcher Ad for the EQ3 mount shows it comes with small slo-mo controls.
Did you find them in the box???
Old 27-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Mick1 (Mick)
Mick

slow motion controls

No, I didn't find them in the box and I went through the box and all the plastic bubble wrap etc 4 times.
Old 27-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Hmmmm
Sounds like a claim to the vendor/ supplier.....
Old 28-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Mick1 (Mick)
Mick

slow motion controls

The mount was purchased the mount from Andrews Communications in Sydney, I have sent an email to them about the missing items, they don't reopen until the week after next I think so I'll have to wait.
This has prompted me to have a good look over everything and I now believe that the mount and tripod were floor stock that was repacked and sent to me. The reason being is that there are grub screw marks on the brass spindles where the slow motion flex controls attach, and just little things like lack of manufactures paper work in the box that sort of thing, also the setting circles on RA axis don't seem to be fitted correctly the pressed aluminium one doesn't look to be seated properly and the bigger one behind it is loose despite the thumb screw being tight. Although maybe the setting circle issue is a manufacturing/assembly issue rather than a supplier one.
I don't think the setting circle's will be a show stopper, more of an annoyance if anything, simply because I know it's there, and the slow motion controls would have been an oversight I'm sure, and it's an easy fix. It's just put a damper on things a bit.
Still Andrews Communications were easy to deal with and helpful, I will most likely deal with them again. I'm not going to discredit them, it's just one of those things that happen.