Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:37 PM
breammaster (Wey)

easy to find DSOs for Skywatch Heritage 130p

Hi guys,

I just got a skywatch heritage 130p and I've seen the moon and jupiter and was blown away at the detail given how much I paid for this scope. I'm going to try my luck at some DSOS and was wondering what are some large and easy ones to find in Melbourne skies. I live in the outer west of melbourne - about 30 kms out.

I thought Orion Nebula would be a good one. Just wondering what I'd expect to see through the eye piece for the brighterr galaxies and nebula etc? Would they just be faint smudge with no color? Should I use the 10mm or 25 mm when looking?

thanks in advance!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:57 PM
breammaster (Wey)

Is the ring or lagoon nebula viewable from Melbourne at this time of year?
Old 03-02-2015, 02:11 PM
BeanerSA (Paul)

The Orion Nebula M42 is extremely easy to find and see. 47 Tucanae is easy to see but not very easy to find in moderately light polluted areas. I've found it in a bright area by scanning between 2 stars, but if you can see the Small Magellanic Cloud with the naked eye, it is pretty easy to find.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:17 PM
breammaster (Wey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanerSA View Post
The Orion Nebula M42 is extremely easy to find and see. 47 Tucanae is easy to see but not very easy to find in moderately light polluted areas. I've found it in a bright area by scanning between 2 stars, but if you can see the Small Magellanic Cloud with the naked eye, it is pretty easy to find.
Thanks! I will five 47 Tucanae a go. I'll probably have to get my night vision adapted beforhand. The first time I took the scope out I was just going in and out of the house without adjusting to the dark.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:22 PM
killswitch (Edison)

Quote:
Originally Posted by breammaster View Post
Is the ring or lagoon nebula viewable from Melbourne at this time of year?
Nope, around winter. Had a look at Eta Carina and Tarantula yet?
Old 03-02-2015, 02:25 PM
CJ (Chris)

Omega Centauri should be visible. An amazing sight too!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:28 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi Wey and welcome to IIS!!
Firstly, to start of with use the 25mm eyepiece. You will find the 10mm will hardly get any use!
M42 (the Great Orion Nebula) is the obvious starting point as it is actually a naked eye object even under suburban skies. I saw it very clearly in Wantirna a few weeks ago. NGC2070 ( the Tarantula nebula) is another great target, not usually vis to naked eye so you have to star hop.

BTW you will not see any colour, your colour receptors in your eye simply are sensitive enough to see the colours that you see in images. To demonstrate this, even outside in bright moonlight, you will not usually see colour, everything appears in shades of grey, and most DSOs are much fainter than moonlight!

Cheers
Malcolm
Old 03-02-2015, 02:51 PM
breammaster (Wey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
Nope, around winter. Had a look at Eta Carina and Tarantula yet?
Haven't seen either yet but I have seen pictures of Carina. It looks amazing in photos. Even the sketches of it look stunning. I'll add both of those to my list.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:54 PM
breammaster (Wey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Hi Wey and welcome to IIS!!
Firstly, to start of with use the 25mm eyepiece. You will find the 10mm will hardly get any use!
M42 (the Great Orion Nebula) is the obvious starting point as it is actually a naked eye object even under suburban skies. I saw it very clearly in Wantirna a few weeks ago. NGC2070 ( the Tarantula nebula) is another great target, not usually vis to naked eye so you have to star hop.

BTW you will not see any colour, your colour receptors in your eye simply are sensitive enough to see the colours that you see in images. To demonstrate this, even outside in bright moonlight, you will not usually see colour, everything appears in shades of grey, and most DSOs are much fainter than moonlight!

Cheers
Malcolm
Thanks Malcolm Nice to meet you

Yes I'll work with just the 25 mm for now. I know nothing about the constellations really. I've been cheating and using starmap and stellarium. I really do need to know these constellations though. The main one I nkow is Orion. Are there any tips or guides to star hopping?

So what is it like when you finally see these faint shades of grey? I'm really intrigued to see my first DSO. Do they often get mistaken for clouds? Or are they much more obvious than a cloud would look.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:40 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

most dont get mistaken for clouds -except maybe the magellanic clouds

id suggest you go along to either the geelong astro society, or asv star party at heathcote in march,, someone will be able to help you find some objects.

alt. if you felt like the drive to gisborne id to happy to meet up & show you some objects thru your own & my scope ..it is much easier to spot areas of the sky away from harsh light pollution[pm me for this]
Old 03-02-2015, 05:00 PM
creeksky (Pete)

Quote:
Thanks Malcolm Nice to meet you

Yes I'll work with just the 25 mm for now. I know nothing about the constellations really. I've been cheating and using starmap and stellarium. I really do need to know these constellations though. The main one I nkow is Orion. Are there any tips or guides to star hopping?

So what is it like when you finally see these faint shades of grey? I'm really intrigued to see my first DSO. Do they often get mistaken for clouds? Or are they much more obvious than a cloud would look.
Being new to it all myself, have a look around the Magellanic clouds in the south, especially the larger one, very slowly with the 25 mm, scan and pan around it.
You will eventually spot a tiny strange faint shaped object,for me it was Tarantula Nebula.
You will know its not a star, and too "way out there" to be a cloud.
As you observe more carefully it will reveal more details, then you will gasp in awe as you will know it is a nebula,you will get excited try barlows and smaller EPs, but realize the 25mm is good enough.
Like discovering a new planet you will feel exhilarated, as IT IS NEW for you to see that far!
That is best I can decribe my experience.
Tarantula is 160, 000 light years away! That tiny cloud of light has taken that long to reach your eye! For me that was "a moment "that I will never forget.
Hope you find some DSO's too!
Welcome to IIS

Last edited by creeksky; 03-02-2015 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2015, 05:11 PM
breammaster (Wey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksky View Post
Being new to it all myself, have a look around the Magellanic clouds in the south, especially the larger one, very slowly with the 25 mm, scan and pan around it.
You will eventually spot a tiny strange faint shaped object,for me it was Tarantula Nebula.
You will know its not a star, and too "way out there" to be a cloud.
As you observe more carefully it will reveal more details, then you will gasp in awe as you will know it is a nebula,Tarantula is 160, 000 light years away! That tiny cloud of light has taken that long to reach your eye! For me that was "a moment "that I will never forget.
Hope you find some DSO's too!
Welcome to ISS
Love your profile pic Creeksky! My favorite film of last year! Tarantula Nebula sounds so cool!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:04 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Petes description of NGC 2070 (tarantula Neb) is spot on, but he left out one important fact. It is the largest and brightest star forming region in the Local Group of galaxies, if it was the same distance away as M42 you could read by it's light!!

Anyway, you asked about star hopping. It is a fairly simple skill but takes a little practice. Once you have done it a few times it becomes quite easy. I learnt to do it by following the star hops outlined in this book http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx which is an excellent reference to observing the 109 Messier objects, of which 100 are technically visible in Victoria. Each section has detailed notes on how to manually locate each object.

Malcolm
Old 03-02-2015, 06:32 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Wey,

to IIS

There is a set of threads here in IIS that lists a series of monthly objects that range from easy naked eye ones through to suck-your-eyeballs-out hard. Have a look at this following link that will take you to The Challenge.

The Challenge is not a competition, but a compilation of objects selected that offer not only a degree of observing difficulty, but also a series of objects that are also EASY to find and are offered with an explanation of what you are actually looking at. Thing with observing is a little bit of information goes a long way to helping understand what you are looking at, AND what to look for. The Challenge offers nebulae, open and globular clusters, galaxies, and the planets, structured into different months of the year.

As an example, the brilliant nebula M42: it is a cloud of gas and dust where young stars have just kicked off their nuclear fire and their energy is causing the cloud to glow and the shape of the cloud is being shaped by this same massive energy blowing the material away from these stars. But, there are also dozens of stars that have not quite reached their nuclear fire trigger point, but that they are there, many of them, and massive, is shown by those dark 'clumps' of dust. These clumps are resisting the erosion of the energy from those 'new star'. This resistance comes from the gravity of these protostars as they sweep up dust and gas that is forming them and the future solar systems that will surround them. Now, things don't stop there!!! At the core of M42 is The Trapezium. This is a cluster of four massive stars that is the powerhouse of the nebula. Yet there are more members to this cluster than just these four. There are many more stars in this cluster, with the challenge here is being able to see as many of these as possible. The Trapezium's four main stars are called Trap. A, B, C & D. Two other stars, Trap. E & F are fainter and the easier ones of the fainter members to see. Then there is Trap. G, H, I, J, K, etc. These require large apertures in telescopes to see as they are very faint and good quality optics to distinguish, and exceptionally stable atmospheric conditions.. I've been fortunate to be able to spot the stars A through to I.

Now, armed with all of this, have a new look at M42, this time taking your time to identify the various structures within it,

Below I've attached the sketch I made of M42 a couple of years ago when I saw all those component stars of The Trapezium.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M42 & M43 Sydney 17.5.jpg)
91.6 KB83 views
Click for full-size image (M42 Sydney 17.5 Trapesium.jpg)
88.0 KB78 views
Old 03-02-2015, 07:16 PM
creeksky (Pete)

This is a memory sketch, no where near accurate and about 20 or more times larger than how you will see something.
(Maybe not even was the Tarantula?)but a definate DSO- not a cloud!

http://i61.tinypic.com/2dv63cw.jpg

Yes my fav movie last year too, I guess it helped reignite an interest in the stars, planets and exploring.
Keep looking and let us know what you find.

Last edited by creeksky; 03-02-2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: pic
Old 03-02-2015, 11:10 PM
breammaster (Wey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Hi Wey,

to IIS

There is a set of threads here in IIS that lists a series of monthly objects that range from easy naked eye ones through to suck-your-eyeballs-out hard. Have a look at this following link that will take you to The Challenge.

The Challenge is not a competition, but a compilation of objects selected that offer not only a degree of observing difficulty, but also a series of objects that are also EASY to find and are offered with an explanation of what you are actually looking at. Thing with observing is a little bit of information goes a long way to helping understand what you are looking at, AND what to look for. The Challenge offers nebulae, open and globular clusters, galaxies, and the planets, structured into different months of the year.

As an example, the brilliant nebula M42: it is a cloud of gas and dust where young stars have just kicked off their nuclear fire and their energy is causing the cloud to glow and the shape of the cloud is being shaped by this same massive energy blowing the material away from these stars. But, there are also dozens of stars that have not quite reached their nuclear fire trigger point, but that they are there, many of them, and massive, is shown by those dark 'clumps' of dust. These clumps are resisting the erosion of the energy from those 'new star'. This resistance comes from the gravity of these protostars as they sweep up dust and gas that is forming them and the future solar systems that will surround them. Now, things don't stop there!!! At the core of M42 is The Trapezium. This is a cluster of four massive stars that is the powerhouse of the nebula. Yet there are more members to this cluster than just these four. There are many more stars in this cluster, with the challenge here is being able to see as many of these as possible. The Trapezium's four main stars are called Trap. A, B, C & D. Two other stars, Trap. E & F are fainter and the easier ones of the fainter members to see. Then there is Trap. G, H, I, J, K, etc. These require large apertures in telescopes to see as they are very faint and good quality optics to distinguish, and exceptionally stable atmospheric conditions.. I've been fortunate to be able to spot the stars A through to I.

Now, armed with all of this, have a new look at M42, this time taking your time to identify the various structures within it,

Below I've attached the sketch I made of M42 a couple of years ago when I saw all those component stars of The Trapezium.
Always great to have an explanation as to what I'm seeing. These challenges sound fun. Hoping to get out in a couple of days and will try the list. Been cloudy every night since Saturday
Old 04-02-2015, 11:07 PM
breammaster (Wey)

Was cloudier than expected tonight and I had to move fast between cloud breaks, but I finally saw Orion. What a sight! Had the 25mm first and noticed the nebula clouds. They were faint. Couldn't help but pop on the 10mm. Magical. I must promise myself not to get aperture fever. Tommorow should be a clearer night. Will try for a harder dso. And I'll return to Orion to study the features better.

Just wondering, does a nebula filter help to see the clouds better?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:35 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Was cloudier than expected tonight and I had to move fast between cloud breaks, but I finally saw Orion. What a sight! Had the 25mm first and noticed the nebula clouds. They were faint. Couldn't help but pop on the 10mm. Magical. I must promise myself not to get aperture fever. Tommorow should be a clearer night. Will try for a harder dso. And I'll return to Orion to study the features better.

Well done Wey!!
A nebula filter works by reducing light other than those wavelengths emitted by the nebula so improving contrast. They are worth trying, bearing in mind I have found they work best with larger apertures. In an 8" the effects is noticeable, in a 12" if is very good, in my 20" it is often mind-blowingly good. The reason is that the sky background is pretty much darkened down to the same level regardless of the size of the scope while the larger aperture collects much more light from the target, so the contrast is much larger with larger scopes. Nevertheless, they are worthwhile trying at any size.
Personally I like the UHC style filters rather than the light pollution style ones.
Good luck with future searches!!

Malcolm
Old 05-02-2015, 11:28 AM
BeanerSA (Paul)

Quote:

I found a better quality eyepiece, such as a Bintel Plossl, really made a big difference. The 25mm 'kit' eyepieces are accepted as pretty good, but the 10mm, not so much so. You can pick up a Bintel 15mm Plossl for about $50, and difference in optical quality is quite noticable.

If you really want to try a Nebula filter, they are about 1/3 of the price thru BHP, than buying locally.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:21 PM
breammaster (Wey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanerSA View Post
I found a better quality eyepiece, such as a Bintel Plossl, really made a big difference. The 25mm 'kit' eyepieces are accepted as pretty good, but the 10mm, not so much so. You can pick up a Bintel 15mm Plossl for about $50, and difference in optical quality is quite noticable.

If you really want to try a Nebula filter, they are about 1/3 of the price thru BHP, than buying locally.
So the Bintel Plossl will give a better contrast and hence better nebula viewing?