Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 PM
INeedMySpace (Neville)

Wanting to look through some 8", 10" dobs - Brisbane

Hello all,

I'm new to these forums and about to purchase my first telescope. I have been reading these forums and others for some time now and at the point I'm ready to purchase. Before I do, as per most peoples advice, I should look through some telescopes first!

So, I am wondering if anyone would allow me to come out one night soon for a look. I will be mostly, to start with, be in the back yard so I would like to compare apples to apples and not have unrealistic expectations. Down the track I'll head out to dark sites.

I am looking at the skywatcher 8" or 10" collapsible dobs - so you have that specific model or very similar that would be great!

Someone with a little bit of experience to take my under your wing and if you have some barrows/other EPs that would be good to see as well.

I live in the north side of Brisbane, but willing to travel.

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Neville
Old 13-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Hi Neville,

If the weather is clear you might consider visiting Mt Coot-tha Lookout on Sat 26th May from 7 to 9pm. The Brisbane Astronomical Society (BAS) holds this free public viewing on a monthly basis if the weather is good.

There will be a good range of scopes available to look through and some of them will be dobsonian's. There should be a couple of Sky Watcher Dobs in the mix as well.

This is a link to the BAS website:

http://www.bas.asn.au/PublicFieldNights.html
Old 13-05-2012, 02:50 PM
INeedMySpace (Neville)

Cheers stu, I will! Is there a sign up or registration to attend? I found astro petes website last night and they have viewing through some of there stock on a Friday /Saturday night too, so I will be checking them out as well.

If anyone wants some company for an hour or two one night, let me know!
Old 13-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Hi Neville
If you can afford it go for the ten inch. More aperature equals more light gathered and a better view. I have a ten inch dob but it is out of collimation at the moment and needs a good clean.
Old 13-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

[QUOTE=INeedMySpace;851376]Cheers stu, I will! Is there a sign up or registration to attend? I found astro petes website last night and they have viewing through some of there stock on a Friday /Saturday night too, so I will be checking them out as well.QUOTE]

The public viewing at Mt Coot-tha is free to all who are at the lookout. No need to register. If the conditions are clear enough to see the Moon the scopes will be setup by 7:00pm.
Old 13-05-2012, 09:00 PM
INeedMySpace (Neville)

Again, thank you stu. I'm looking forward to it!
Old 13-05-2012, 09:01 PM
INeedMySpace (Neville)

Mick, I'm certainly leaning that way, just need to talk to wife into some more pocket money.
Old 14-05-2012, 09:59 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

keep your eye out in the IIS trade area, there have been a few 10" scopes going for really good prices.