Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 PM
inline_online (Dan)

Introduce Myself

Hi all,

I've been lurking around this site for a while now so thought i'd better join up so I can hopefully contribute to some of the interesting discussions that i've read.

My name is Dan Gardiner and I live in Perth. I've been into astronomy for 16 years now and have owned a variety of telescopes in that time. My current stable includes a Takahashi FS-128 and a Skywatcher Flextube 12".

My interests in astronomy have changed a lot over the years and I now get most of my pleasure from public outreach sessions that I hold at the South Perth foreshore. I get a wide variety of people looking through the scope and the feedback I get is amazing. It keeps me going. I also started some spectroscopy projects a few years ago and am now looking at purchasing my first CCD camera so I can record my observations.

Outside of astronomy I am completing a MSc in Renewable Energy. I work as an energy and environmental advisor for a large construction/manufacturing company. I am also into inline skating and skate approx 100km each week around the cyclepaths of Perth.

Well, it's good to finally be on board and I look forward to chatting with you soon.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Dan, Welcome to IIS.
Looking forward to your input on the forum.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:14 PM
vanwonky (Dave)

Welcome Dan. Always good to see another Perthite or Sandgroper join the forum.
Cheers
Dave
Old 05-05-2012, 12:02 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hi Dan and , you have a nice couple of scope's there , any chance of a few photos ? .
Brian.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:05 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Hi Dan,

you have some interesting things going on there, Welcome to IIS.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Welcome to IIS Dan. Your user ID caught my attention - very clever. I'm also interested in inline and spend about 8 hrs a week in my skates trying to keep pace with the kids.

Peter
Old 05-05-2012, 09:27 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Hi Dan,
As others have said, always good to see someone else from Perth popping up. Look forward to hearing from you and maybe sharing a dark sky sometime. There's a few Perth based forum members here into public outreach as well - Jacquie and Roger both do a great job hosting public viewing nights up at Perth observatory.
cheers,
Andrew
Old 05-05-2012, 02:09 PM
inline_online (Dan)

Hi All, thanks for the replies.

Brian- i'll try and post some photos tonight. I'm not very experienced with internet forums so it may take me some time to figure it out.

Peter - I live for astronomy and inline skating (oh, and also my wife and kids). I've been skating now for about 16 years and don't like days when I can't skate.

Andrew - I have been under one dark sky in the past 11 years. Before I got married and had kids, I used to work casually at Golden Grove observatory. I was good mates with Dave and Meg and used their observatory and C14 every chance I got. I was out there probably 5-6 times a month, maybe more. I then started in the mining industry and got married. Life has got in the way of dark skies and telescopes unfortunately in the past 11 years. A friend has a farm at Yerecoin and we all went there for a night of drinking and fun a couple of years ago. I passed on the drinking and took my 12" dob instead and stayed up all night remembering the old days.
I would love the chance to get under a dark sky again. Maybe send me a message next time you go somewhere and i'll see if I can get a leave pass.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 05-05-2012, 02:19 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Welcome Dan, enjoy your stay here
Old 07-05-2012, 05:34 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

There are a few of us that get together in the back yard, though we are more into the dark art of astrophotography. That said we also do go out into the woods quite regularly!

Welcome once again!

Brendan