Old 07-02-2005, 12:46 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Simon,

An 'ND' filter knocks out about 75% of available light.

Better results can be gained by multiple coloured filters without the Large % light loss.

Fiddle around with combinations like light yellow, light blue, and light pink together.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:18 AM
quicksimon

Ken,

I've been looking on the internet at n/d filters and they do seem to knock out a lot of light. I'll try experimenting with the colour filters i think for now. I've got a moon filter does that have a similar effect as the n/d filter? Thanks

Simon
Old 07-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Astro_Guy

Simon,

The planets are very bright, so knocking out a lot of light is not necessarily a bad thing. An alternative approach would be a variable polarizing filter set, which allows you to tune the light throughput to your own tastes. Have a look at the Meade #905. This model has an external slide that allows you to adjust the light throughput without removing the eyepice.

BTW - I was using a neutral density filter with a four-inch scope to knock down the glare at the last Mars opposition. You will need to do something with that eight-inch Newt, whether that be an aperture mask or a filter, if you hope to enjoy Mars.

Clear Skies,

Bob
Old 07-02-2005, 10:56 PM
quicksimon

Bob,

The planets are bright, i remember the glare from Jupiter last year without the benefit of filters was quite over powering and that was through my first telescope a 5.1" newt. I'll check out the Meade #905 thanks. I read somewhere that when Mars is at opposition it will be summer in the southern hemisphere there and the polar cap will be smaller, was that the case at the last opposition. I was wondering because looking at pictures from amateur telescopes in 2003 the polar was very clear to see. Whats the weather like in the eastern US. Its been cloudy here for about a month now. It must be because I bought this Meade LPI. Thanks Bob

Simon
Old 08-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Astro_Guy

Simon,

We received about 30 cm of snow two weeks ago, and the temperatures had been hovering around -15 C. More recently ee have enjoyed daytime highs of +10 C for each of the past three days, and the snow depth has been reduced to 10 cm. The skies have been incredibly clear and calm over the wekend. I was able to enjoy Saturn at 220X in the refractor this past Saturday night. Clouds are rolling in now, and the forecast calls for more snow on Thursday. Those clouds that you mentioned must be finishing up a long eastward journey from Chester to the Northeastern US!

Clear Skies,

Bob

Last edited by Astro_Guy; 08-02-2005 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:35 AM
quicksimon

Bob

-15c! thats cold cold:. And I thought it gets cold here, its hardly dipped much beneath 0c this winter. There were no clouds last night although there was ground fog and bad seeing - which made it look like saturn was viewed through water at 120 times and made getting the LPI out a bit pointless. I've got my fingers crossed for tonight though. Hope those clouds don't hang around too long in the US for you.

Simon