Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Kindred Spirit (Luise)
A planet in my coffee!

"Into the West..."

Hello IIS Friends!
It has been quite a while since I checked in to say Hi. Life has been hectic! I'm visiting Perth in May for a conference and will hopefully visit the Perth Observatory for a tour. There doesn't seem to be any veiwing scheduled for the days I'm there (I had a look on their web site for the timetable), so a guided tour will have to do! I'll be sure to take photos and will post the good ones! Is there anyone with any local knowledge about clubs/astro groups veiwing dates/times? I'm in Perth 18th-25th May. The conference I'm attending is in the city 19th-22nd, so I'll have time for looking about once its over. I'm staying in the city and have a hire car and sat-nav. I would love to join in a veiwing night if there is one not to far out of the city. (I'm not sure I would want to drive 3+ hours in a state I've never visited before!) So anyway, I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I can't bring my own telescope unfortunately, but I would appreciate a peek through someone else's and a chat about star stuff.
Regards to the West!
Old 13-03-2010, 11:58 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Luise,

I'm not in Perth, though I'd like to have a squiz meself.

Would you be able to squeeze in a pair of binoculars in your kit? Lest that noone can come to the resque of a fellow IISer, binos, say the classic 7X50, won't go astray. And they will be useful back home too for both day and evening viewing.

I've got an inexpensive pair of 10X50's and I've been able to spot galaxies like the Sombrero and M83 from my home in central Sydney. In a dark site they are awesome rich field scopes. I also need them to find anything from home such is the light pollution here.

Just a thought.
Old 14-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Kindred Spirit (Luise)
A planet in my coffee!

Hi there in Sydney! Thanks for the tip, I do have binos...somewhere! Last used to spot birds in the garden(2 acres!) around the house. I will hunt them down and pack them! I have just been looking on the ASWA web site, they have regular gatherings so I will try to contact someone there.
Old 14-03-2010, 01:31 AM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Hi Luise,

With the dates you've given I think its very unlikely you'll be able to visit Perth Obs. I do volunteer work there and know the night tours are over by then. But to make sure ring! during office hours to make sure. Things have been a bit shaken up there at present so best not to get your hopes up, sorry.

As for observing opportunities, check the ASWA calendar - there is a lunar night on while you're town. Not too far to drive and always a social night.
Old 16-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Kindred Spirit (Luise)
A planet in my coffee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Hi Luise,

With the dates you've given ....... check the ASWA calendar - there is a lunar night on while you're town. Not too far to drive and always a social night.

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!!! I will certainly take this advice. I look forward to joining in. What is the weather like in May? A beanie and warm jacket? Gloves? There'll be room for them in my suitcase, for sure!
Old 17-03-2010, 07:56 PM
WadeH (Wade)
WadeH

Hi there louise,

May in Perth is a bit of a lottery weather wise but viewing can be great.

One of our local public observatories is the Gin Gin Observatory just to the north of Perth.

http://www.ginginobservatory.com/

Also as fellow IIS'ers and ASWA member (me), we extend an invite to you to come to our dark sky site (home) on the outskirts of Perth in the hills for a bit of viewing through our gear.

Whatever occurs I'm sure you will have a great time.
Old 17-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred Spirit View Post
What is the weather like in May? A beanie and warm jacket? Gloves?
These days it depends a little, but May is cooling down time. It could be as cold at 5-10 degrees but lets say definitely below 20C but above 10C. Wind - nearly always windy here. Bring jacket, beanie and scarf at least, gloves optional depending on your taste.
Old 18-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Kindred Spirit (Luise)
A planet in my coffee!

Thankyou Jacquie and Wade for your tips and invite! I would be "over the moon"! I will make sure to pack appropriately (yup! I like warm gloves, they'll be in the case with the rest!) Tassie weather has been glorious this summer and this March has been the warmest for a few years, so I have become accustomed to sunny days (27degreesC)and balmy nights(24deg.C). When the chill does finally reach us it will be a bit of a shock! Anyway, I'm looking forward to my Perth trip, the conference for Operating Room Nurses and some viewing, skies permitting! Thanks again...

Last edited by Kindred Spirit; 18-03-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: misspelling