Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 02-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Bloodbean (Troy)

Just checked the Andrews website this morning and I no longer see the Limited model 10" GSO dobsonian listed, cheapest is the $399 Deluxe Crayford version which I have my eye on as from what I understand the R&P focuser isn't very good. Shame about the shipping to NZ though around $230AU!

Troy
Old 07-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Argonavis (William)
E pur si muove

I consider it false economy to purchase anything from a "carton dispenser". This is the term used by Mark Sutching many years ago to describe the trend towards retailers who merely import telescopes and binoculars in cartons and on-sell them at a slim margin.

If you open the carton and find that there is only trash in there, then you have done your money. The quality at the bottom end of the market can vary widely, and warranties are only good if they are honoured. I know - I have been there. It really is "buyer beware". You pay for what you get, and no more.

I have had many dealing with BinTel over the years and they have all been positive. Excellent level of customer service. I don't know the level of collimation, checking and callibration that they do, but I gain the impression that they do bother to check the item, rather than just onsell whatever.

It can be very dissappointing to spend many hundreds of $ only to find that you have ended up with something that is useless.

I would recommend that people stick with reputable dealers.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

My brother Don took possession of the 10" Super Deluxe version from Andrew's just yesterday, and due to work commitments I haven't had time to do a full collimation on it right from basics, nor had the chance to look at a star.
However from a quick check yesterday afternoon with a combination Sighting/Cheshire tube the secondary position looks pretty well right, and a spot test with my laser collimator gave me a red dot on the inner edge of the primary's centre ring, and a return target dot positioned approx 5 mm off dead centre. A minute later both were dead on of course.

Not bad considering it was sold by a "carton dispenser" and then travelled a thousand km's or so via truck!
Old 07-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonavis View Post
I consider it false economy to purchase anything from a "carton dispenser". This is the term used by Mark Sutching many years ago to describe the trend towards retailers who merely import telescopes and binoculars in cartons and on-sell them at a slim margin.
I think "carton dispensers" are great if you know exactly what you want and don't have a need for store advice nor a desire to pay $$ for a retailers brand label stuck onto the goods.

However for a beginner who doesnt have access to a friend who knows their stuff I would recommend they buy from a dealer with expertise.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Argonavis (William)
E pur si muove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkler View Post
I think "carton dispensers" are great if you know exactly what you want and don't have a need for store advice nor a desire to pay $$ for a retailers brand label stuck onto the goods.

However for a beginner who doesnt have access to a friend who knows their stuff I would recommend they buy from a dealer with expertise.
I suggest that you get more than just a sticker on the side. I don't know or 100% certain but I would suggest that you get some level of quality control on the product.

What you DON'T get is zero customer service and dishonest business practices.

I notice that you have an SDM there, must be something to do with exceptional quality and superlative customer service. From someone who strives for a flawless reputation and satisfied customers.

The market for astronomical telescopes and binoculars is fairly thin, and having a low level of care (reflected in the prices) does not reflect well on the amateur community who support less than desirable retailers.

Last edited by Argonavis; 07-05-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
I suggest that you get more than just a sticker on the side...............<snip>.....
I think its a long bow to draw to associate dishonesty as an attribute inherent to "carton dispensers" over anyone else. Retailers are not necessarily always honest in any case. . I have purchased a number of items from a well known "carton dispenser" without any issues whatsoever. It suits me because I know exactly the item I want and why so I see no need in paying for overheads that I don't need.

Quote:
I notice that you have an SDM there, must be something to do with exceptional quality and superlative customer service. From someone who strives for a flawless reputation and satisfied customers.
Quite right and I have no hesitation in sending anyone seeking a large truss dob Peter Reads way, but Peter isn't dealing in mass produced goods which are well known in the astro community either.
Old 24-05-2008, 12:25 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I'd just like to add my 2 bob's worth to the carton debate. I just bought a 200mm Newt OTA from Andrews, on request they inspected the OTA before shipping, I really don't need any more than that, collimation before freighting to Tas would be a total waste of time and effort, the price was very good and the product arrived in the pristine condition I expected. An added bonus, the mirror was already centre spotted.
Old 25-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

Glad to see you've grabbed a dob to add to your collection Phil.

Someone tried to tell me once that down there in Taswegia you blokes would have trouble with dobs because the OTA wouldn't sit right on it's bearings and would try to fall off sideways - seeing as you're too far underneath the curve of the earth ....
Old 26-05-2008, 08:54 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Glad to see you've grabbed a dob to add to your collection Phil
Not a dob, it's a 200mm OTA with dovetail and rings, I am going to make a dob base for it though. No problems with the OTA's falling over down here, although our crooked State Premier has succombed to that phenomena and fallen over.
Old 26-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Louwai (Bryan)
SDM Convert

Quote:
I have never purchased from either Bintel or Andrews, but from info I've seen on here (IIS), & also having seen items purchased by friends, I believe they both sell GSO dobs.
The Bintel / GSO dob having a "Bintel" sticker / brand on it.
I haven't seen a dob from Andrews so can't comment there regarding branding.
Old 26-05-2008, 04:44 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
our crooked State Premier has succombed to that phenomena and fallen over.
Was that the best front page story to wake up to or what