Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Mallycat

How should I care for my scope?

I have been using my new scope for a few weeks now, and now feel I need to know some general care tips. I left my scope out on Saturday night and there was an unexpected shower (unexpected by me anyway). So now I have got a wet scope. I assume when I put it away in its case (JMI) that it has the potential to go moldy in all the wrong (expensive) places. I have towel dried the scope and left it outside for a few hours in warm air. I also left it in the case with the lid off for 8 hours before putting it away. But is this enough? Should I get some moisture absorbing packs to put in the case? If so, where can you buy them?

What about the eye peices and objective lens - how should I clean these (wipe of dust etc), or should I just leave them as is? I remember seeing a web site with some tips, but can't find it now.

Hope someone has some tips for me.

Thanks

Matt
Old 12-05-2008, 01:02 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Exclamation

Yikes!!!. I NEVER leave my scope outside overnight unless I end up sleeping with it!!!. I only hope your scope never got any moisture inside the tube, otherwise it's going to take some doing to get it all out. Check to see if you have any condensation behind the corrector plate. If you do, DON'T take the plate off!!!. Just remove the diagonal and such from the backplate of your scope and expose its insides. Don't put the dust cap back on. Let the air get to it for at least a day or so. Then replace everything. Then, get some silica gel packs from a camera shop and pack them into your JMI case.

You can get wipes for eyepieces and lenses but the best way to get the dust off is to use a blower to remove the dust...then put them back in their cases.

And...the best way to take care of your scope??. NEVER leave it outside exposed to the elements, again!!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 02:11 PM
JimmyH155

Go over it with a hair dryer or heat gun (not too hot) for 10 min or so with the rear cap off , that will help evaporate any moisture inside. Same with the electrics.
Old 13-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Mallycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
I NEVER leave my scope outside overnight unless I end up sleeping with it!!!.
Mmm, trap for young players. I'll be more careful in future.
Old 13-05-2008, 07:23 PM
madtuna (Steve)
an overactive imagination

my scopes sleep on my bed..I sleep on the lounge
Old 14-05-2008, 09:58 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtuna View Post
my scopes sleep on my bed..I sleep on the lounge
Steve, how does your better half feel about snuggling upto cold aluminium tubes and bits of glass??!!
Old 14-05-2008, 02:27 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Most likely you have caused no damage, but lets be paranoid about this.

I would leave the whole scope out in the warm sun for quite a few hours. Leave the cap off the focuser but consider putting some thin cloth over the opening to keep dust out. Lint-free cloth is best, perhaps an old stocking. Alternatively just pick a very still day. If I could purge the tube with clean, dry gas I would but most people can't arrange that (I could get some instrument-grade air or nitrogen but wouldn't use CO2 - too acidic).

Regarding eyepieces, be very wary about rubbing them to clean them. I was always taught to never rub a wet surface - the dust and water can act as a grinding paste. Apparently the lens pens are very good but I haven't bought one yet.

Like most observers my equipment regularly gets dew on it and so I air dry it overnight or the next day. Some of my eyepieces are over 30 years old and they are still fine.