Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 22-09-2006, 03:57 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Yeah, forget the 80mm and get an 8" Dob. Unless you live under dark (mag 6+) skies, I see little point to an 80mm scope for visual astronomy.

Like Geoff, I used to own both a Dob (an 8") and the ED80, but the ED80 was not very useful due to its limited aperture. Not enough aperture for either resolution needed for planets or light gathering ability needed for deep sky. It would be a nice scope if used under dark skies, but when I make the effort to drive 100-300km to dark skies, I'm going to spend my time with the biggest baddest scope I've got, not the smallest. So the 8" won both in my light polluted backyard at home as well as under dark skies on w/e trips away from home.

Since then I sold the ED80 and got a 12" Dob, next to which the 8" Dob makes a great second grab-n-go scope that I use more often at home. (Don't ask me what the Mak's for. I'm still figuring that one out. )
Old 24-09-2006, 06:19 PM
"O"

The Dob wins!!!!

After weeks of information gathering and all the helpful advices here and 2x night out viewing with local association (AAQ), 8" Dob it is!

Will get anything else later .. refractor, larger Dob, SCT/Mak.

I am of the idea that most well known Dob on the market will be OK.
Thinking of SkyWatcher 8" if there is no known major problem with this scope as this it is available locally at Sirius.

Please recommend good all around eye pieces.

Thank you again for all the help.

"O"
Old 24-09-2006, 06:29 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I dont think you will regret it they seem great value to me. As to eye pieces make sure to ask for some when you get your scope, there will be a couple with it if not make sure they sweeten the transaction with a couple.. good luck and clear skies
alex
Old 24-09-2006, 07:16 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Nice one! The SkyWatcher Dob and GSO Dobs are both nice each having something nice over the other. Expect to pay under $500 for the SW.

[quote="O"]Please recommend good all around eye pieces.[quote]What EPs does the scope come with?
Old 25-09-2006, 10:29 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

good on ya "O"

you will get alot of use from it

eyepieces: basically you will want to start with 3 me thinks. 1 high mag, one medium and one low mag... get a barlow and a collimator too (especially the collimator). that will be a good start, hen spread out from there