Old 19-08-2020, 12:04 PM
SB (Chris)

IR Block Filter for ASI183 MC Pro

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone use an IR block filter for the ASI183 MC Pro? I have read that blocking IR reduces star bloat. Is this correct?

Am I wasting money thinking of getting this filter? The Astronomik IR Block filter appears to pass H-Alpha OK according to the spectrum plot and cut out transmission above 680nm.

Thanks.

Chris.
Old 19-08-2020, 12:45 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

You'd probably be better off getting a UV/IR block than a straight IR block. With most of these OSC cameras you do need to use some kind of luminance filter (UV/IR block) unless you have a very well corrected telescope into both UV and IR. Especially with a very small pixel camera with a high QE.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:02 AM
SB (Chris)

I’m using an Esprit 100. Do any other Esprit users on this forum use IR and UV blocking or is it felt that the Esprit converges these wavelengths adequately?

Thanks

Chris
Old 08-09-2020, 07:08 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

All refractors irrespective of make, model or type benefit from a UV/IR block filter before the camera sensor, as do guide cameras.

I order my UV/IR block filters from SVBonyin China for about $19 each - no need for Astronomiks etc. The most I paid was $115 for a Marumi 77mm UV/IR to use on a Takahashi.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:39 PM
PeterM

Interesting thread thanks Chris! Got me wondering. I have a ZWO ir/uv cut filter ($39 at Bintel) that came with the 224mc I bought here. The ZWO site notes that with Solar work this filter will protect the Ha filter from ir? As there are multiple uv/ir filters in the Lunt before the camera, what advantage, if any (i.e. sharper images) is there in using the ZWO filter with a Lunt 60mm refractor and the 224MC or say
the ZWO120MM / 174MM mono camera?

Last edited by PeterM; 08-09-2020 at 09:20 PM.