Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 21-10-2019, 08:33 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Synscan Polar Alignment Routine and Polemaster

I was surprised when I heard during Dylan O’Donnell’s presentation of the new Skywatcher EQ8R mount that he compared the Synscan Polar Alignment routine accuracy to that of the Polemaster polar alignment
I’ve been using the Synscan method from day one ( over 2 years ) and always had confidence in this rather primitive method of PA in compared to what’s now available today, but hey it works and the more you use it the quicker and easier it becomes
I like to hear from others who choose the Synscan method in lieu of other methods ( primarily where you have no view of the SCP )
Cheers
Old 21-10-2019, 09:03 PM
Xeteth (David)

Although I'd still regard myself a beginner, I personally didn't like the PA routine via the SyncScan controller. It seemed long and arduous in comparison to other readily available methods.

I have used SharpCap's PA routine since the second time I set up my gear and have always been able to achieve near-perfect PA within 2-3 minutes.

But hey, I'm learning more and more that whatever feels most comfortable for you should be the method you adopt. There is enough technical skills required for this hobby to sink a battleship (which I love), do what works best for you!

A PoleMaster is on my (long) list of desired gadgets, I've heard nothing but great things!
Old 22-10-2019, 12:44 AM
Hemi

Hey Martin,

I’m a big fan of both the celestron and SW polar alignment routines....I prefer the celestron flavor as you do az and elevation together (so more forgiving of initial plonk down), but both get me there. I can’t see the pole, so haven’t used pole master or sharpcap. I do use pem pro as well on occasion, just to frustrate myself! Not convinced it adds a whole lot more than running several iterations of the HC routine......probably a little bit!

Cheers

Hemi