Old 08-01-2017, 05:37 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

ha or LP filter?

Hi all,
I have a 10" newt and would like to improve my imaging quality. I currently run with no filters with my prime focusing using a full spectrum modified Canon 60D unguided to which I have had some good results. However to eliminate skyglow from my backyard obs would a Light supression filter suffice or should I consider entering the realm of narrowband and acquire a h-alpha filter. I feel the later would pose problems when trying to focus and frame DSO's plus having to remove the filter to collect standard LRGB subs which means removing the camera and attempting to refocus and align to match framing from ha subs.

Note I have only ever taken max 40sec subs for most of my imaging to date.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:28 PM
glend (Glen)

The Ha filter can be a problem on even a modified DSLR due to the relatively smaller proportion of red pixels in the standard Bayer Matrix configuration. A debayered mono dslr is of course different entirely and will operate like a ccd mono camera with an Ha filter.
Try the light pollution filter first.

Since you are not guiding, your limited to relatively short subs, unless you have absolutely perfect polar alignment and a good quality mount. Ha, or any other narrowband filters, need long exposures due to their narrow band pass profile. Even with very low noise mono cameras your looking at 300" subs as a indication, althoigh some brighter (in Ha) targets like M42 can look pretty good with just 90" Ha subs.

I would suggest you look into guiding. The NEQ6 is pretty capable if well tuned and together with a good guide setup will position you for fainter objects and narrowband.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Thanks Glen that's good advice considering my setup at the moment. The neq6 is taking a bit of weight with my scope and 60sec subs are at the best I can manage at the moment. Generally speaking I get a decent image with around 25 -30 subs. I'm hoping with the light pollution filter I will get cleaner images with better background contrast, which would no doubt improve things. I tend to concur with your statement about longer exposures would be necessary if I chose the ha filter. Without guiding which I'm not ready for just yet, would be asking a lot.
Do you have any suggestions on what type of LP filter??
Old 13-01-2017, 01:50 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

I find the Astronomik CLS works very well with my full spectrum 1100D. Also the Baader Semi-Apo filter, as it has an inbuilt nebula filter. There's a lot of filters that would work for OSC.

30-60 sec subs are fine but you need a lot of them. I usually try for 400 - 800.
Old 19-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Kevin,
I've been looking at the Hutech V3 neb filter although I noticed the IR and UV wavelengths are included in the spectral graph, are these important? I use a Newtonian so star bloating won't be a problem. I've read that the astronomik produces images with a slight blue cast where as the Hutech has reports on maintaining good colour balance.
I suppose they both would do a fine job in the end. Post processing would clean up any colour imbalance. Thanks for your recommendation and advice.