Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 31-12-2016, 03:15 PM
grimsay (Iain)

Any tips for finding a spot to setup?

Hi guys,

Earlier this week I drove 1hr north to escape the LP of Newcastle. Whilst the distance wasn't nearly enough to reach dark skies it certainly was a significant improvement to my suburban backyard viewing that I enjoy.

I'm keen to make the trip again but the issue I'm encountering is where to setup?

After driving around for a bit in fading light and fuel I frustratedly stopped somewhere north of Clarence Town next to the road, with sporadic passing cars and 2 trees overhead.

Not the ideal spot and a couple of lessons learned:
  • plan some location options prior
  • make sure you have enough fuel to explore
  • settle down before dark

I was wondering if this is a common newbie experience and hoped some more experienced folks could offer some helpful tips on finding half decent spots for us weekend warriors that can only head out a short distance.

Many thanks,
Iain
Old 31-12-2016, 04:15 PM
spiezzy

hi there Iain
the only thing I can suggest is going for a drive during the day and finding a spot then coming back at dusk to set up maybe do your site exploring on a day when you know its going to be cloudy so you can maybe set out a few sites then cam back on a nice clear night .
cheers Pete
Old 31-12-2016, 04:32 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Hi Iain,
Suggest you pre-survey using google maps or Google Earth. You can cover a lot more ground from the "air." In google maps, switch to satellite view.

When you find somewhere that looks ok, take a screenshot and store it along with Lat/Long and name of road. You can also preview topography in Google Maps.

Some rest stops on minor roads/secondary highways can be ok.

Head out prepared with multiple candidate sites and check them out by daylight. It's not easy to find places these days. In daylight, it may be possible to speak to a property owner and get permission to go off road o their property. Properties that offer farmstay accommodation or camping may be open to a small fee for use of some quiet corner of the property for the evening. Always make it clear you won't light fires and you won't be shooting or hunting.

Joe
Old 31-12-2016, 04:49 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Hi Iain,
I agree with Joe, I would have a search around on Google maps for a cleared area near a road- say in the Columbey National Park, just to the west of Clarence Town. Assuming you can drive in there after dark, there is a spot just here: just off "Gough's Trail"; coordinates -32.573333, 151.745071 as an example. Check it put in the daytime, and make sure there are no potential lights nearby or trees that will block your preferred line of sight...
There are lots of parks north and west of Newcastle!
It is always good to have an "observing buddy", especially if you are going off the bitumen a bit. It can get a bit "spooky" on your own (it is amazing how many things go "bump" in the night when it is very quiet!), and it gives you a bit more safety.
Check out the local Astro Society as well (see: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/clublistings.html and https://www.facebook.com/newcastleastrosociety ): they may have an observing site.
All the best,

Dean
Old 01-01-2017, 01:56 PM
grimsay (Iain)

Awesome, thanks guys. Google maps on Satellite mode a great idea.

Time to start exploring now the clouds have rolled in.

Happy new year!
Old 01-01-2017, 02:48 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Iain,

I've written a piece on identifying the optimal site for astronomy purposes. It talks about topography, geography, and what to avoid as much as possible.

A big open grassy field in a valley may sound promising, but it is the worst place possible. Turf, and especially agricultural land, expels a lot of moisture during the evening, leading to an endless battle with dew. And the valley itself means that if fog forms, guess where it settles? Gain access to a rocky ridge top above the valley and not only are you above the fog line, but you avoid just about 100% of any dew! That is why a few of us loved Katoomba Airfield - dew was never a problem, and being on top of a tall sandstone plateau fog never visited us, even though Katoomba itself was fog-bound. We lost access to the Airfield when Rod, the Airfield manager, was killed last February , and we've been looking for another good site since.

Selecting the best site for Astronomy purposes

Of course, as with all things astro, having access to any site is a matter of compromise. If the ideal site isn't possible, then knowing what to avoid as much as possible will allow one to make the best choice possible under the circumstances.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:40 PM
grimsay (Iain)

Great advice Alex, thank you.

Your article and blog are a great resource and covered what I was after and wasn't aware of / hadn't considered. Narrows down my shortlist to explore which largely included grassy areas!
Old 03-01-2017, 09:22 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

For astrophotography, google maps as above helps find a site while switching to street view will give you an idea of the obstructions the might affect line of site, especially if you're after a target low on the horizon.

Also weather is a big factor so I consult meteoblue and you can change its url with precise gps co-ordinates for your location to see what time is optimal. eg https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather...07N149.063407E

Meteoblue has been spot on for me every time. It doesnt just give you the same forecast info for the closest weather station. it does seem to really take into account the surrounding stations to give a fairly precise forecast for a precise location.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:55 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Have you seen this thread? :

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=129464