Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-05-2016, 08:37 AM
steve.garner (Stephen)

After many years of interest in the sky, especially now we live in a semi rural area south of Brisbane, and a lot of uming and arring about whether I would use a telescope past a few times I bought a second hand Saxon 8" Dob.
The finderscope and eyepieces are missing, the mirrors dirty and the collapsible secondary would not collapse - but it was a good price.
I spent yesterday blowing dust of the mirrors and freeing up the seized collapsible rod and playing with collimation I had a go last night.
Using cheap eyepieces from a tiny Australian geographic scope and no finder I managed to see Jupiter with faint cloud bands and a little bit of texture in Mars, I'm now spurred on to spend some money......let the adventure begin
Old 29-05-2016, 08:45 AM
guipago (Geoff)

I can only say "Abandon hope all ye who enter."
Old 29-05-2016, 09:54 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Welcome!

I have an 8" Saxon too (Skywatcher -they're the same thing). One thing I can suggest that makes collimation a *lot easier is Bob's knobs - replaces the little adjustment screws in the mirror cell with knobs that make the whole process much easier.

Markus
Old 29-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Kunama

Hello and Welcome Stephen,

You should get decent views in Jimboomba (my brother lives on Edelsten Road). Try to avoid looking back toward BrisVegas and you will be fine.
It is easy to spend money on the hobby, my advice would be to use 3 cheaper eyepieces until you know what it is you want to 'focus' on.

Stellarium is a free program worth its weight in gold dust. If you spend one hour studying Stellarium for every hour you spend on the forum you will learn the sky very quickly.

Don't be shy to ask questions either.....
Cheers,
Old 29-05-2016, 01:55 PM
steve.garner (Stephen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Welcome!

I have an 8" Saxon too (Skywatcher -they're the same thing). One thing I can suggest that makes collimation a *lot easier is Bob's knobs - replaces the little adjustment screws in the mirror cell with knobs that make the whole process much easier.

Markus
I'll look into the collimator knobs - thanks for that, using a screwdriver is a pain.
Old 29-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Malcolm

So you bought a telescope and there's actually no clouds? Lucky you lol!
Old 29-05-2016, 06:19 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

to the party, now let us spend all your money for you.

Joking aside my best suggestion is to get a couple of the GSO Super View EPs. They do a 15mm and a 20 mm and those with a decent barlow will give you a good starting point and a range of views. They are reasonably priced and good performers, still my favourite EPs.
A Right Angle finder scope is a good idea too, using a straight through finder is a pain in the neck .

And enjoy ..
Old 29-05-2016, 06:24 PM
steve.garner (Stephen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
So you bought a telescope and there's actually no clouds? Lucky you lol!
Actually the day I brought it home it rained - the telescope curse is alive and well
Old 29-05-2016, 07:03 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.garner View Post
Actually the day I brought it home it rained - the telescope curse is alive and well
You have arrived.
Welcome from me.
Alex
Old 30-05-2016, 06:23 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Congratulations on your new toy. There is a universe out there that is waiting for you.

Now that you are sure you want to get into this I suggest you start adding up the things you want to buy or add to your scope and then look to see if it makes more sense to get a new package. Building from parts can be expensive.

Not saying that building that one up is not a good idea, just suggest you consider this.

Many of use end up with multiple tools:

* binoculars - great for wide views, when you only have a few minutes and for daytime use.

* A smaller travel scope, often a refractor but not always.

* A bigger "light bucket".

For some, like me, the 8" is the light bucket. For others, this is their grab and go scope.

Eyepieces and finders have the potential of being shared between scopes so look at what you plan to buy and see if it makes more sense to get it as part of a package. May not but at least you checked.

"Turn Left at Orion" is a wonderful book for people just getting started. I think it has enough for the southern hemisphere but if not others can recommend similar books.

You have a wonderful time ahead of you. Best of luck!
Old 30-05-2016, 08:10 AM
steve.garner (Stephen)

Thanks for the replies and warm welcome
Old 12-07-2016, 03:41 PM
garypope (Gary P)

The 8" dob as I would see it is the ideal fledglings scope so I trust you are going to appreciate it when it arrives. In spite of the fact that there is an expectation to learn and adapt with any degree, the extension you are getting has one of the gentler ones.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:36 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.garner View Post
Maybe there should be an astronomy courier that only delivers around full moon...
Old 12-07-2016, 08:04 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Steve,

There's lot's of help here, from fixing broken telescopes to building your own. Simple observing to photography. No question is too daunting for the IIS alumni!
Old 13-07-2016, 06:35 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptrack2 View Post
Steve,

There's lot's of help here, from fixing broken telescopes to building your own. Simple observing to photography. No question is too daunting for the IIS alumni!
Yeah, stay away from the DIY crowd ..

(...having built an Observatory, onto my 4th or 5th(?) scope build, a cooled and IR modified DSLR, and many other attachments.)

It's infectious ..

But yes, welcome and enjoy.