Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 07-06-2020, 04:44 PM
BruceF13 (Bruce)

Baader Hyperion 8-24 Zoom Eyepiece and Barlow 2.25x

Hi all,

I'm interested in any experiences with the zoom eyepiece by itself and also with the Baader 2.25x Barlow.

I have a Celestron Nexstar Evolution 8, and would also like to know how people think the eyepiece/Barlow would go with this scope.

One piece of advice I have been given is that the Barlow may not be necessary because it would take the magnification on the 8se from 85x - 254x to 191x - 571x and seeing conditions would have to be very good to get non blurry images.

As a relative beginner, I would also like some advice on the pros and cons of using high magnification like this.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:14 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Bruce,
I use the Hyperion Barlow.
It’s a very good Barlow, which allows T thread connections.
Independent of the zoom, it’s a good accessory to have.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:18 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Welcome Bruce,

The Baader8-24 zoom is a well respected zoom eyepiece. The field of view at the 24mm setting is a little on the narrow side, but the overall usability and quality is top shelf. At 24mm you're probably better off going for a normal widefield eyepiece. If your scope is F10, I can't see the barlow being a requirement - you'll have 85x - 254x without it. A very general rule for maximum magnification is 2x the aperture of your scope in mm, so in your case, 2 x 200 = 400x. In reality, you'll rarely be hitting 400x without some serious deterioration of the viewing, so money on the barlow might better be spent on an eyepiece in the 5-6mm range if you think you'll want extra magnification, or something for widefield in the 24-30mm range. Depends on what you plan to be watching I guess.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:20 PM
rrussell1962

It's a decent zoom but you won't use the 2.25 Barlow with it on an 8 inch SCT. You may need a wider FOV for low power. Just saw the posts below - agree with everything. BTW have a Nexstar 8SE, a few eyepieces including the Hyperion Zoom and Barlow.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:26 PM
BruceF13 (Bruce)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Bruce,
I use the Hyperion Barlow.
It’s a very good Barlow, which allows T thread connections.
Independent of the zoom, it’s a good accessory to have.
Thanks very much for your reply..

That's one of the reasons I was looking at it. I have a T adapter for my DSLR, which I got wirh the telescope, but it looks li need another adapter for it to work with the Barlow, the Baader Hyperion Eyepiece T-Adaptor (M43-T).

Cheers.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:29 PM
BruceF13 (Bruce)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell1962 View Post
It's a decent zoom but you won't use the 2.25 Barlow with it on an 8 inch SCT. You may need a wider FOV for low power. Just saw the posts below - agree with everything. BTW have a Nexstar 8SE, a few eyepieces including the Hyperion Zoom and Barlow.
Thanks for the reply.

What about for use with the T adapter for photography?

Or can I do that with the eyepiece?
Old 07-06-2020, 06:32 PM
BruceF13 (Bruce)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
Welcome Bruce,

The Baader8-24 zoom is a well respected zoom eyepiece. The field of view at the 24mm setting is a little on the narrow side, but the overall usability and quality is top shelf. At 24mm you're probably better off going for a normal widefield eyepiece. If your scope is F10, I can't see the barlow being a requirement - you'll have 85x - 254x without it. A very general rule for maximum magnification is 2x the aperture of your scope in mm, so in your case, 2 x 200 = 400x. In reality, you'll rarely be hitting 400x without some serious deterioration of the viewing, so money on the barlow might better be spent on an eyepiece in the 5-6mm range if you think you'll want extra magnification, or something for widefield in the 24-30mm range. Depends on what you plan to be watching I guess.

Thanks for that. Rookie question, but why does the viewing deteriorate at higher magnification?

Is it more affected by atmospheric and viewing conditions, or just that it's harder to focus?

Cheers.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:53 PM
rrussell1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF13 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

What about for use with the T adapter for photography?

Or can I do that with the eyepiece?
AP is not really my thing so I think it is best if I leave the issue of photography to people who might actually know what they are talking about! My Hyperion Barlow came with a T2 adapter. I have had a play with the bits in my box and found a part labelled Hyperion M43 T2 adapter that threads to the top of the Hyperion Zoom and my Canon T adapter screws successfully to that. Whether it will give acceptable results I have no idea.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:45 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Thanks for that. Rookie question, but why does the viewing deteriorate at higher magnification?

Is it more affected by atmospheric and viewing conditions, or just that it's harder to focus?

Cheers.

The former - unless the conditions are fantastic, you get to a point where you're just magnifying all the turbulence caused by upper atmosphere air currents, water vapour/dust particles, etc. This may present as an inability to focus, but you're really just zooming in too far into the "murk" to enable a clear picture.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:03 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Bruce, all the necessary adaptors, other than an T2 ring for the camera come in the box.
I use mine for solar imaging an ED80 with the ASI 1600 camera. Works well.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:27 PM
BruceF13 (Bruce)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell1962 View Post
AP is not really my thing so I think it is best if I leave the issue of photography to people who might actually know what they are talking about! My Hyperion Barlow came with a T2 adapter. I have had a play with the bits in my box and found a part labelled Hyperion M43 T2 adapter that threads to the top of the Hyperion Zoom and my Canon T adapter screws successfully to that. Whether it will give acceptable results I have no idea.
Thanks! Sounds like it be able to use my existing T2.

Appreciate the info.

Cheers.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:28 PM
BruceF13 (Bruce)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Bruce, all the necessary adaptors, other than an T2 ring for the camera come in the box.
I use mine for solar imaging an ED80 with the ASI 1600 camera. Works well.
Thanks! One less thing I need to buy.

Cheers.
Old 16-06-2020, 05:12 AM
Don Pensack

Quote:

Cheers.
An analogy:
Viewing stars is like looking at the pebbles at the bottom of the edge of a pond. When the water is still, you see the pebbles quite sharply. When there is a bit of water movement, you see the pebbles appearing to move back and forth and only be clear for short periods of time. When the water is turbulent, you can barely tell there are pebbles there at all.
The stars are the pebbles, and the atmosphere is the water of the pond covering them.
Old 17-06-2020, 03:45 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

I'll throw in here that I've just started using my DSLR on my baader zoom. To achieve focus I couldn't just use the T2 adapter, I needed another 20mm or so of backfocus, which i achieved with a spacer. Baader have an adjustable one that might be good, but I used what I already had which is a GSO ring. I'm not sure if the kit (with barlow) also includes everything necessary, I bought mine stand-alone and i dont think it even included the T2 adapter.
Old 17-06-2020, 05:06 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

J-P,
The Barlow has the 1.25” nosepiece and a T thread connection. A T2 adaptor is a variable depending on the camera being used.
I have mine fitted to an ASI 174 or ASI 1600.