Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 24-07-2022, 08:07 PM
Dilsh
Eq6r pro

Controlling imaging program from mobile

Hey guys,

Using RD client to control NINA with my phone. Anyone else using any remote desktop apps on their phones. Really convinient way to keep track of things.

Cheers,

Dilshan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_20220724-204807_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpg)
198.3 KB66 views
Old 25-07-2022, 10:45 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Wow. Interesting. So you have a mini PC on the scope and you rdp into it with your phone?

I use a laptop to do the same. Never thought there would be enough screen real estate on a phone screen to cover NINA.
Old 25-07-2022, 11:29 AM
AdamJL

Yep, there's a Remote Desktop in the (Apple) App Store. Presumably the same in the Play store, but I don't use Android so can't confirm.

I log into my PC with either my laptop, or iPad.
Haven't tested the phone, because the screen size just wouldn't be nice IMO.
Old 25-07-2022, 02:58 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I run Voyager on a pair of Intel Nucs. I normally use RDP from my desktop PC but to polar align the mount or just make a quick check that all is going OK I sometimes use the phone app, you have to zoom and scroll around but it is doable to a quick look.
Old 25-07-2022, 05:53 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Ditto. NUC on scope does everything.
View progress via RDP on computer inside, or on mobilephone outside to polar and star align
Old 25-07-2022, 09:02 PM
Dilsh
Eq6r pro

Seems like everyone is doing the same thing. I am using this minipc:

https://www.amazon.com.au/MeLE-Quiet.../dp/B08ZXXJL6N

Cannot recommend it enough. Super light, small and powerful enough for all aquisition tasks.

I use the laptop remoted in for any major work (i.e. setting up sequencing) but the phone is useful for keeping a track of HFR graphs, guiding etc. Also used it for the frame wizard as it saves me taking the laptop outside. Might even try PA next time.

I have a Samsung S22 ultra so it does have a large screen. However, RDP resizes based on the device so it would work for smaller phone. Just make sure you have logged off the laptop prior, otherwise it will keep the same screen ratio as the laptop.
Old 25-07-2022, 09:10 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

I use the Mele Quiter2 on the mount and Remote Desktop on my iPad. Never tried a phone, though no real reason why it could not be done I suppose. iPad works just fine though

I run NINA as the acquisition software
Old 26-07-2022, 09:20 AM
Spidy (Phil)

To me, the idea is interesting because I currently use the laptop to polar align and once up and running, I use the PC inside the house.

Using the phone in the polar alignment phase would be a lot more convenient.

I'll give this a crack next time we get clear weather.

And yes, Adam, there is an Android version. It's actually a port of the MS RDP program.
Old 26-07-2022, 09:42 AM
Startrek (Martin)

The phone and NUC is a super idea but if eyes aren’t as good as they use to be in your later years ( like me ) I use my 15” acquisition laptop near the mount in Sydney and in my NexDome down South and a hardwired connection to my 17” processing laptop in the Study using Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop. Both laptops have identical software loaded so kinda of a acquisition or processing backup laptop arrangement. Works beautifully and I have total control over the imaging session.With a hardwired connection control and operation is instantaneous and definitely no drop outs.Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop is extremely stable.
Cheers
Old 26-07-2022, 03:01 PM
Dilsh
Eq6r pro

Hey Martin,

In the process of designing a ROR. Will run a cat 6 cable to the imaging PC so have seamless remote control. I have found microsoft remote desktop very stable. If away from home I VPN into my home network and it still works. Very very good software.

Cheers,

Dilshan
Old 26-07-2022, 04:12 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I use the phone while polar aligning as the iPolar app is clear and legible even on the phone and I always have that in my pocket so it is convenient. I am not sure that the Polemaster app would be very friendly on the phone as a different example.
Old 26-07-2022, 04:50 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

I've tried the PoleMaster software on my Android phone, and the experience was less than pleasant. On the laptop it's a totally different story.
Old 26-07-2022, 06:29 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilsh View Post
Hey Martin,

In the process of designing a ROR. Will run a cat 6 cable to the imaging PC so have seamless remote control. I have found microsoft remote desktop very stable. If away from home I VPN into my home network and it still works. Very very good software.

Cheers,

Dilshan
Hi Dilshan,
At my Obs on the south coast of NSW I ran 2 x Cat5e UTP cable ( additional cable for redundancy) from my Study to the Obs approx 35m route length
Cat 5e is good for 90m plus patch cords ( 1000 Mbs at 350Mhz )
Cat 6 is a bit of an overkill, its bending radius is more restricted due to the twist rate of the pairs in the jacket which can inhibit performance if bentvto tight around corners ( my install was part underground and part wall / roof install clipped the bearers and joists etc.., )
If you have spare Cat6 cable lying around then by all means use it , but Cat5e is easier to install and more than adequate for Astro operation and performance
Cheers
Martin
Old 26-07-2022, 06:55 PM
Dilsh
Eq6r pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Hi Dilshan,
At my Obs on the south coast of NSW I ran 2 x Cat5e UTP cable ( additional cable for redundancy) from my Study to the Obs approx 35m route length
Cat 5e is good for 90m plus patch cords ( 1000 Mbs at 350Mhz )
Cat 6 is a bit of an overkill, its bending radius is more restricted due to the twist rate of the pairs in the jacket which can inhibit performance if bentvto tight around corners ( my install was part underground and part wall / roof install clipped the bearers and joists etc.., )
If you have spare Cat6 cable lying around then by all means use it , but Cat5e is easier to install and more than adequate for Astro operation and performance
Cheers
Martin
Hey Martin,

I didn't know that. I have a few meters of Cat 6 lying around from a previous unrelated project and its a straight shot for the cable.

Cheers,

Dilshan