Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 10-10-2015, 12:51 PM
vapeinspace (R)

Smile New guy in Perth saying "Heeeeeeeey!"

As promised... Heeeeeeeey!

I signed up a couple of days ago and thought I'd quickly stop in and introduce myself to anyone interested.

I'm Ryan, 34 and like many of us, I've often looked up at night and wondered many questions. I like a good sci-fi movie... everything from newer movies like Interstellar and The Martian to classics like Metropolis... Blade Runner, Contact... The list doesn't really end. Apollo 13 and just about any documentary on space, the planets and the universe.

I've previously owned a few basic reflector telescopes at varying times in my life but I only recently started/attempted to take it more seriously.

I started the hobby up again about 3 months ago, just in a fun and backyard amateur kind of way. I bought my first GOTO about two months ago, just a basic 80LCM from Gumtree but it's been a good start so far and I've been out most visible nights when possible.

I buy a lot of second-hand gear, most the time something needs fixing but I enjoy doing all that, however I have found it difficult to sort spare parts for Celestrons. Maybe I'll ask you guys for some help one day.

What I'd really like my end result to be is beautiful colorful AP pictures of nebula's and other deep space objects. I've bought a few camera's and I'd like to remove some filters from them at some point so I can see a wider spectrum of light.

I've been playing around with software but I still have a heap to learn. I've been enjoying the experience and I've found it a great way to relax and forget about everything happening down on Earth.

I'd smoked for around 18 years and stopped 72 days ago. I discovered vaping and since that day I've gone from 4000 chemicals to around 3-4 without any problems or wanting to throw things at people. According to the UK government it's around 95% safer than cigarettes and I strongly recommend vaping to anyone who currently smokes cigarettes or finds it hard to quit, or like me, didn't even want to quit.

The sensation of vaping is so close to that of a cigarette I believe we finally live in a world where people no longer need to be hooked on something so expensive and dangerous.

I just thought I'd include the above in my intro because it's important to me, a big part of my life and it's part of my username. So if there's anyone who currently smokes, who's interested in quitting or even someone that smokes and is not interested but wished deep down they could quit... I want you all to know that I'll provide as much free advice, and point you in the right direction so you don't get put off by cheap inefficient gear. Just let me know. I'm not selling anything I've just trying to spread the word.

Anyway!

Thanks for an awesome place to meet and talk about our interests, so great it's an Aussie website too. I look forward to annoying many of you with noob questions, buying your second-hand gear and passing on what I can share.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 10-10-2015, 07:37 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Welcome aboard/ You will find some incredible depth and breadth of knowledge on this forum Ryan, and between that and your apparent enthusiasm, your AP should start to show results fairly soon. On that note, don't be afraid to post photos and seek advice if required; there are some generous people here.

Congrats on ditching the cigs mate, I am still smoking but so over it. I enjoyed it, now not so much. And the price!

Anyway, look forward to your contributions.

Trev
Old 10-10-2015, 11:12 PM
simmo

Hi Ryan and welcome to IIS. from a fellow Perthite.

Look forward to seeing you on here and perhaps catching up at some point. There's a few of us that meet up from time to time here in Perth when work doesn't get in the way so keep your eye open on the star party section. There are a lot of friendly people on here to help and meet so enjoy.

Cheers
Simmo
Old 11-10-2015, 12:11 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Another fine welcome from me as well Ryan , Perth being such a spread out city with many FIFO people it gets hard to organise a get together , aye Simmo ? We have got together a few times and you are most welcome to join us at our dark sky site when another one is happening. , soon I hope.

again .

Brian. .
Old 11-10-2015, 11:56 AM
vapeinspace (R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Welcome aboard/ You will find some incredible depth and breadth of knowledge on this forum Ryan, and between that and your apparent enthusiasm, your AP should start to show results fairly soon. On that note, don't be afraid to post photos and seek advice if required; there are some generous people here.

Congrats on ditching the cigs mate, I am still smoking but so over it. I enjoyed it, now not so much. And the price!

Anyway, look forward to your contributions.

Trev
Hi Trev,

Thanks for the welcome mate. No need to congratulate me on quitting smoking, honestly it was one of the easiest things I've ever done. Vaping with the right gear, flavors and nicotine level is so close to the sensation of smoking, you'll find it hard to believe you're doing something else. I can not recommend it highly enough to any smoker and as mentioned above, even the UK government came out the other week and said vaping is 95% (they'll never say 100%) safer than traditional or "analogue" cigarettes.

Plus it's cost me something like $10 or less a week, compared to $140.

There is a bunch of gear out there and it can be confusing at first. If you're interested in given it a go you can get the equipment here (in Oz) but the nicotine fluid or "ejuice" containing nicotine you'll have to get from overseas as Australia is a bit behind the rest of the world with our laws. For personal use it's perfectly legal to import.

YouTube is a great place to start. Get familiar with what vaping is and when you're overloaded with the amount of gear and information out there, if you're interested in trying it out. Let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

Have a think about it and ask me anything you like.

I'm always happy to get you off the smokes and I'm 95% sure you'll find it beneficial. As I said, I didn't even want to quit. I just found something better and I have no regrets and it's been no stress.

I look forward to hanging out with you guys on IIS as well mate.
Ryan
Old 11-10-2015, 12:07 PM
vapeinspace (R)

Thanks for the welcome Simmo and Brian! It's awesome that a website like this can be so local. I'll do exactly what you both suggested and keep an eye on the star party section.

If you're ever around Doubleview let me know, you're welcome to stop in and say g'day.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:19 AM

Will do Ryan and thanks , hopefully it is a good day , I like a bit of solar viewing .
Me and my missus ride up to Scarborough beach occasionally
Brian.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:11 AM
Osirisra (Ken)
Dead God

G'day Ryan,

Welcome! I've been vaping now for 3 years and as you cannot recommend it enough!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:21 PM
garin (Garin)

Welcome Ryan
Old 06-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Rick Parrott
Dexdoggy

Hi there Ryan and welcome!
Like those movie choices...
Old 06-11-2015, 02:32 PM
vapeinspace (R)

Thanks guys! Cheers
Old 06-11-2015, 11:52 PM
Chris85 (Chris)

Welcome!
If you're on Facebook, and if you haven't done so already, I encourage you to join the AGWA (Astronomy Group of W.A) Facebook page.
Cheers!
Chris
Old 10-11-2015, 11:34 AM

PM'd on a get together Saturday night 14/11 .
Brian.
Old 13-11-2015, 12:35 AM
vapeinspace (R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
PM'd on a get together Saturday night 14/11 .
Brian.
Thanks for all the welcomes guys! And for the invite. This Saturday appears to be a perfect night for looking up and I've love to check out a star party, I just can't this Saturday... Literally any other Saturday though!

Thanks Brian!

Old 13-11-2015, 08:10 AM

No worries mate , we will have a good night and you are more than welcome to come along to the next one , I will post a few photos and be in touch as for the next one .
Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapeinspace View Post
Thanks for all the welcomes guys! And for the invite. This Saturday appears to be a perfect night for looking up and I've love to check out a star party, I just can't this Saturday... Literally any other Saturday though!

Thanks Brian!

Old 18-11-2015, 11:44 AM
vapeinspace (R)

Old 18-11-2015, 08:55 PM

Done , as , if you check it out. , you missed a good night. But never mind there will be others so please keep in touch .
Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapeinspace View Post