Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2022, 10:01 AM
Fluffyllama95 (Della)

Equipment for astrophotography

Hi All!

I am very new to this but I am wanting to start taking astrophotography especially deep space things like nebulas etc.
i currently have a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ but it’s not quiet enough for what I need.

I am wanting to upgrade. I am thinking of getting a Celestron nexstar 8SE.
I already have a cannon 1100D camera which I plan to use.

The questions I have are:
1. I know the nexstar is on a AZ Mount and I read this isn’t very good for deep space photos? But it seems to be easier to use than the EQ mount. If this is the case, is there another Celestron telescope that’s better than a 8SE?
2. What attachments do I need to attach the camera?
3. How do you even take deep space photos and process them?

I know people take photos over many hours then stack them together but I wouldn’t even know how to connect the camera to the telescope with the right eye piece etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-02-2022, 12:21 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Welcome to the forum
There’s plenty of folk here to help with your Astro journey
If you want to pursue Astrophotography, in particular Deep Space Astrophotography then my advice is to use an EQ mount not an AZ
Beginner EQ mounts like a Skywatcher or Saxon HEQ5 are fairly straightforward to use and can carry payloads up 10kg. Try to avoid saying the word “want something easy” or it’s too hard”. In Astrophotography once you learn something then it becomes easier , you never stop learning that’s the fun part. I started nearly 5 years ago knowing nothing at all , but step by step you achieve little goals and eventually develop more skill and really enjoy what the hobby has to offer.
As far as a beginner scope goes start of with a 6” Newtonian reflector or an 80mm refractor. Steer away from SCT , RASA , C and CT’s etc....
Again there’s plenty of help out there so don’t be put off by the term “EQ mount” as I have written procedures how to set up and operate a Skywatcher mounts. I only use newtonian reflector telescopes and started off with a Canon 600D ( still use it sometimes) now use a ZWO2600MC OSC cooled Astro camera
All the best and enjoy your Astro journey
Cheers
Martin
Old 02-02-2022, 01:13 PM
bojan
amateur

Try to use what you have.
For the start, you can do planetary and Moon photography - you only need to attach your camera with suitable adapter, for example this one.
(you may need to move your main mirror a bit to achieve focus).

Also, you may want to use barlow lens with this setup (like this one) as well, to increase the size of your image on sensor.

For deep sky, you need tracking unit for your Astromaster, then you can use your camera for longer and multiple exposures (for stacking).

DeepSkyStacker is a good choice for software, but first you try above.
There is always a time for upgrade (and spend more money) later, when you get familiar with equipment and process..
Old 02-02-2022, 08:10 PM
sunslayr (David)

Don't forget you can do also do wide field astrophotography with your camera and a lens, all you need is a suitable mount like the mentioned HEQ5.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:07 AM
Fluffyllama95 (Della)

Would my current Celestron 130EQ tube fit the mount of a HEQ5?
I wasn’t sure if they are universal
Old 03-02-2022, 08:18 AM
bojan
amateur

Yes, it will.

Coupling is universal, Vixen-style dovetail bar.