Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 31-07-2022, 06:12 AM
JA

Hi Adam,
In the subsequent pages of the CN thread that you linked to earlier there is evidence to suggest that the RA backlash experienced is due to a clamping screw that can untighten somewhat with use and can be remedied with a spring washer or serrated lock washer.

Best
JA
Old 31-07-2022, 04:04 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Gudday Adam;

Not just didn't play, all I got was a blank page.

I did see the ones in the folder. You seem to have had similar issues to me, although mine has tended to make a wet sticking noise which I've associated with thick (and possibly unevenly distributed) lubricants.

JA, you intrique me. I may have to investigate this further. My thanks.
Old 31-07-2022, 04:16 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Adam,
In the subsequent pages of the CN thread that you linked to earlier there is evidence to suggest that the RA backlash experienced is due to a clamping screw that can untighten somewhat with use and can be remedied with a spring washer or serrated lock washer.

Best
JA
Hi JA

Cheers mate. I'm actively involved in that thread (user Wow! is me ). Rob posted some great advice for fiddling with the mount and getting the RA to play nicer.

I don't know if that would have helped me though. On Friday night, when I clicked return to home, only the Dec axis moved the first time. I managed to get the RA to return home with a subsequent command (after gently tapping the counterweight shaft!) but that just told me it was time to let the mount go. I don't like having to tweak something that's brand new.

To that end... I've gone and returned it to Bintel and (uh oh), put my name down for the AM5. I know, it's a lot more money, but the Mrs was supportive (I'm suspicious!) and it's getting some great real world reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crater101 View Post
Gudday Adam;

Not just didn't play, all I got was a blank page.

I did see the ones in the folder. You seem to have had similar issues to me, although mine has tended to make a wet sticking noise which I've associated with thick (and possibly unevenly distributed) lubricants.

JA, you intrique me. I may have to investigate this further. My thanks.
That's interesting. No idea why it didn't play!

Good luck getting your issues fixed. That thread on CN is very helpful; Rob is tweaking with his mount a fair bit so you might get some help from him as well.
His setup is very light weight too.
Old 01-08-2022, 03:29 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Hi JA

That's interesting. No idea why it didn't play!

Good luck getting your issues fixed. That thread on CN is very helpful; Rob is tweaking with his mount a fair bit so you might get some help from him as well.
His setup is very light weight too.

I'm going to have a good read of it and take a considered approach to trying to save the GTi, but I'm not going to spend a massive amount of time and effort on it given what I've already experienced. The AM5 looks good to me, but I don't know if I'd be able to appease Frankenwife enough to justify the additional expenditure.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:50 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

Well i found out tonight why the cover over the polar scope at the back keeps falling off poor design when the battery holders are in place the locks on the cover do not lock in remove the battery holders and it locks in perfectly
Old 06-08-2022, 01:21 PM
Hoges (John)

Things haven't quite gone to plan astronomically speaking with my trip north so far with about 4 failed attempts at some photography due to lights/trees, clouds and dew. But I did get a few hours at Esk under some moonlight present. The Gti is performing pretty well although I do notice regular pulses in Dec not having any effect as the guiding drifts off to 2 or 3 seconds then suddenly 'un sticks' and gets better. RA guiding seems pretty good. I align with the ASI air plus so I'm not sure why the Dec would wander off so much. Link to photo of the Dragons of Ara with the Zenithstar 61/294mc pro guided with the fma180/120mm. I took 13, 5 minute exposures - half of which where nice and sharp, a few not quite but passable for me and three that I threw out. So this shot is 10 x 5minute shots with the L enhance filter in place. https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...94105168619173 I haven't noticed any play or backlash creeping in yet.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:47 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoges View Post
The Gti is performing pretty well although I do notice regular pulses in Dec not having any effect as the guiding drifts off to 2 or 3 seconds then suddenly 'un sticks' and gets better. RA guiding seems pretty good.

I haven't noticed any play or backlash creeping in yet.

It sounds to me like you may have gotten one of the better copies, although I had similar "sticking" issues and noise. Do keep us posted on how it all goes.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:52 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan meehan View Post
Well i found out tonight why the cover over the polar scope at the back keeps falling off poor design when the battery holders are in place the locks on the cover do not lock in remove the battery holders and it locks in perfectly

I noted that too, and found that I had considerable difficulty on removing the battery holders with the polar scope cover in place. With the polar scope cover firmly in place, I had difficulty getting the battery holders into place correctly.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:19 PM
Icearcher (Chris)

Hi All

I received mine during the week and Im happy with it so far, theres no play in either axis that I can find and Iv had it running for about 10 hours so far just inside for testing and playing around.

Its a little noisy but nothing to really complain about, its dead silent when tracking and only really gets a bit loud when pushed around at max speed.

Iv got it connected to my laptop and stellarium has no issues giving it goto commands.

It balances just fine, my payload is a little over 3.5kg.

Once this cloud clears Ill get out to test the guiding.

Pic attached of the setup at present.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SA GTi upload.jpg)
106.4 KB62 views
Old 10-08-2022, 10:07 AM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Nice setup. It sounds like you got one of the good copies. Half your luck! I look forward to seeing what you can achieve with it.

Cheers!
Old 19-08-2022, 10:07 AM
Icearcher (Chris)

Managed to test out the guiding performance last night when there was a little break in the weather.

My polar alignment was out by about 16 arc seconds.

Looks like its going to be a rock solid little mount, I'm very happy with it so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (sa gti guiding 1.jpg)
179.4 KB39 views
Old 03-09-2022, 12:31 PM
NeilW

Hi all,
I'm trying to connect the GTi via USB cable to my laptop running NINA. I've installed all the SynScan and ASCOM software. It appears it will only connect in NINA once the SynScan app has connected. NINA is recognising the mount, but using the arrow controls, the mount will only move north, not south, and east, not west (I can control it in every direction using the hand controller, so the mount is capable of moving).

Any suggestions?

Cheers.
Old 04-09-2022, 03:33 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilW View Post
Hi all,
I'm trying to connect the GTi via USB cable to my laptop running NINA. I've installed all the SynScan and ASCOM software. It appears it will only connect in NINA once the SynScan app has connected. NINA is recognising the mount, but using the arrow controls, the mount will only move north, not south, and east, not west (I can control it in every direction using the hand controller, so the mount is capable of moving).

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

I did remember watching a YouTube video in relation to something similar. It might have been by High Point Scientific, but I can't remember. Apparently you have to start the software running in a particular sequence, or there are bugs, and the order in the sequence in which the synscan app is connected apparently makes a difference.

Try this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p5g-UvPZ0E

or this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKmZVtXRXq0

Both have some tips in this regard. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:48 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilW View Post
Hi all,

Any suggestions?

Cheers.
Have you installed EQMod or GreenSwampServer?
Old 05-09-2022, 11:02 AM
NeilW

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have EQMOD installed...I normally run an HEQ5.

But I think I have found the culprit. I originally downloaded and used the latest SynScan Pro for Windows Version 2.0.11. I deleted that and tried the older version 1.19.20 and everything seems to be working well now.

It irks me a bit that it will only connect by initially connecting with the SynScan app and not directly via ASCOM/EQMOD, but there you go.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:35 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Ok, I'm getting very close to buying my first go-to mount and for the ease of learning I've decided to popular, hopefully we'll supported Star Adventure GTi is the right tool for the job.
While it won't support my AR127 achro, l can have my ED72 mounted on it in go-to mode and point me in the right direction for my AR127 on the mandraulic exos 2 mount.

So, what should l be concerned about?
I have read this thread and CN threads, will re-read them all again.
The general just l am getting is there are Monday mounts and Friday mounts. Typically I'd like a Wednesday morning mount not assembled before or after a big weekend by the SW factory worker. Seems there have been some good mounts sold and some sloppy mounts sold.
Being in Perth and having to have it sent from Sydney most likely, l don't want to be disappointed by excess backlash or the like.
I may even ask the retailer to take it out and test it, would save a lot of heartache.
Any thoughts or suggestions on my choice?
Rod.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:54 PM
AdamJL

Hi Rod

I'll just wish you a hearty good luck! Good reviews of this mount have been fairly rare, but I'm also cognizant of the fact that forums are usually a place to give bad reviews more than good ones.

That said, from my own experience owning two dud copies, you're rolling the dice, and I only hope you get a good copy.
If you don't, there are a few fixes that have been tried by others (like painters tape around one of the internal screws) that seem to fix it. Also adding spring washers.

Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck!
Old 06-09-2022, 04:19 PM
Hoges (John)

Going on my copy, think I'd say this - for visual use, go for it. A great little lightweight goto mount that's a snap to carry around and has excellent connectivity for things like sky safari on the ipad. For astrophotography..... I'm not super convinced. Some of my guiding graphs have been pretty dubious and there's been a few subs thrown out. For AP, I don't think I would buy it again - not for a 'scope, but with a dslr and lens I would. I think I'd look into a few (albeit more expensive) alternatives. The main issue with mine is when guiding, the dec seems to wander off and doesn't respond to the guiding commands for a minute or two.....and then it will. By that time I'm 2 or 3" off in my guiding - I'm hoping something's a little 'sticky' or needs to wear in - either way, it's not super confidence inspiring QC.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:15 PM
Icearcher (Chris)

Im going to buck the trend and say that mine has been perfect so far and I cant think of a single complaint.

Admittedly, Iv only had it out and testing a half dozen times but in these tests, Iv found that guiding has been great and Iv been able to capture 20 min subs of the tarantula nebular with clean round stars.

My setup is a SW 72ed with .85 field flattener and a canon 600d, guiding is handled by a SW 50mm finder with a asi 120mc. All up, it weighs in at about 3.6kg and the counter weight is at the end of the bar.

At first, mine was quite stiff in both axes but after a few hours of play it freed up quite a bit and still seems to be improving, there is no backlash to be found.

I really really really hope that I have a normal copy and not a golden sample.
Old 06-09-2022, 11:26 PM
AdamJL

20min subs? Yeah you won the lotto