Old 14-08-2022, 11:37 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

AZ-EQ6 and RC 10?

Hi all,

Long time i didn't post here, got thing in life, so i will post now.

Can i handle an RC 10" Truss with my mount Skywatcher AZ-EQ6?

If no then no further questions.

If yes, then how many counterweight i need to add? For now i have only two 5kg for total 10kg, so do i need to add one more or two more? Only if the mount can handle, if not or not in good performance then i won't bother buy more, maybe only one but not two.
Old 28-08-2022, 02:47 PM
By.Jove (Jove)

Depends what you do with the scope.

For imaging no, it is quite inadequate - you need at least a Losmandy G11 or better, though it would have to be in a shed under a ROR so its not exposed to wind.

For visual yes, but it's going to be wobbly - not ideal.

From personal experience an AZEQ6 can barely balance a 10" with all-up weight 15kg using 2 x 5kg weights at the limit of the dec bar, but 3 weights would be better.
Old 29-08-2022, 12:26 PM
Bluknghtv (Daniel)

I have a quattro 12 inch newt on my azeq6 gt, 4 weights no problems as long as it's not too windy
Old 30-08-2022, 04:00 PM
Joves (Aaron)

Hi Tareq,
I’ll tonight hopefully be seeing how my AZ-EQ6 handles my newly purchased Rasa 11, so I’ll let you know how that goes.

I’m not expecting great results 😜
Old 31-08-2022, 01:28 AM
Joves (Aaron)

It actually went pretty well, Tareq. Better than I expected, even despite the wind getting quite heavy throughout.

I added a fourth counterweight, which was probably a little overkill. Three counterweights got it balanced initially, but they had to sit at the very bottom of the attached extension bar. I wanted to get the counterweights to sit a little higher up the bar, so added a fourth. Not sure if that made any difference or not. Given my scope (minus accessories) is almost 20kgs and pretty much already at the mounts limit, I’d say you’ll be fine with yours (which I believe is about 15kg’s?). Just be sure to get your counterweights and balance right.

I’m seriously impressed by how well mine performed tonight. I was shooting unguided and the stars look pretty good.